Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2004 at 14:46
Originally posted by matt.m3 matt.m3 wrote:

After some advice,

Thinking about buying big brakes for my E30 M3 cab. I Want to use an Ap set up but they don't sell a brake kit for the M3. I've found some companies that do a bespoke kit for around £1300 (4 pot) to £1800 (6 pot) but I can get a large dicount from AP on the caliper and discs through my company also I'm skilled engineer working for an F1 company so machining my own bells and brakets is no prob. What I need is some technical info (dimensions) on the parts required.

Any help would be appreciated as it would save me the best part of a grand.

Cheers

Matt.

Hey Matt - if you were ever willing to do this sort of thing then I'm sure there a few members who'd be interesting in you fabricating sets ups for us track loons.. Rgds

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

Sponsored Links

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2004 at 17:24

I'm only interested in helping out matt.m3.
Maybe if we can help him, he can help us out with some cheap **** off decent brakes for 16" wheels. Hey there could even be an enterprising deal to be had manufacting a kit on a small scale.

Edited to remove objectionable language, please read the forum guidelines

Edited by Nigel
http://www.s14power.com/
matt.m3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2004 at 18:51

Guys

To fill fill you in, BG developements were the first company I spoke to due to them being local. The kit that they offer is a basic 4-pot AP caliper with blank mounting lugs that they machine to suit the M3 (not radial mounted) therefore they only can offer 304mm dia discs. This kit weighs in around £1275 inc vat with does not include hard anodised bells (optional ££) and braided hoses are also extra!!!  that was the reason I am looking doing my own.

I have offerd Bob Green (owner of BG) the use my car as a working project and I'll do all the machining, 3D modelling and CNC programming in return for help from BG on the basic design concept.

So hopfully we can strike a deal and everyone will benefit.

I'll update as soon as I get some feedback from Bob.

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 12:29

Guys

To fill fill you in, BG developements were the first company I spoke to due to them being local. The kit that they offer is a basic 4-pot AP caliper with blank mounting lugs that they machine to suit the M3 (not radial mounted) therefore they only can offer 304mm dia discs. This kit weighs in around £1275 inc vat with does not include hard anodised bells (optional ££) and braided hoses are also extra!!!  that was the reason I am looking doing my own.

I have offerd Bob Green (owner of BG) the use my car as a working project and I'll do all the machining, 3D modelling and CNC programming in return for help from BG on the basic design concept.

So hopfully we can strike a deal and everyone will benefit.

I'll update as soon as I get some feedback from Bob.

Nice - though I'd hope the kit could be adapted to a larger diameter disk to suit other models...best of luck for the weekend..

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

smckeown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 17:15

HiSpec are a competitor to willwood and i'd recommend them.  I have some 4 pots on my track day 205 and they are amazing.  They seem to do an E30 M3 kit also.  Ive had APs on my Scooby in the past, i think in the future i'd save myself some cash and get some nice gold adonised Hispec's instead

you've got to admit this is a sexy looking caliper  

cheers

sean

track-monkey.co.uk
lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 17:20
I am speaking to Hi-Spec at the moment about a kit for 15" wheels with 2 piece disks. Should have news soon.
matt.m3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 21:47

Jonny,

Big discs are the way to go, thats why I'm embarking on this adventure. because I'm running 18's my set-up is going to be 342mm dia discs 32mm wide with six pot calipers with four pots at the rear.

Sean the Hi-specs look the biz. If the deal with BG doesn't come off I'll look at what they have to offer.

adwo View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 21:54

Please bear in mind that with most big brake setups the discs are very wide. This means they will most likely touch the control arm knuckle and the steering arm ball joint...

I have a Wilwood 330mm with 6-pot calipers and aluminum bell setup for sale (used) but this requires work on the items mentioned above. I will just keep my Bremsport 315mm 4-pot set up...

Also the width of the calipers causes interference problems with wheels which have a 'lip'...

HTH,

Adwo

matt.m3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 22:23

Adwo,

Does your brembo set-up have solid discs or two piece? I'd be intrested in some info on your wilwoods, what was the caliper offset? if the disc is wider then why wasn't the offset from the mounting point to the centre line of the caliper larger to accommodate this? did they miss-sell you an inappropriate brake kit?

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 22:25
342mm??? what do you try to stop with that? and the more important question, which tyres are grippy enough to get the full benefit of this setup. I think this is well OTT.
no offense, just my opinion
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
matt.m3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 22:52

I'm with you on that, but if we weren't OTT then we would all be driving Corsa's with Lexus rear lights!

No seriously the only reason is because it won't cost me much more to go six pots and the next stage is to slap a supercharger on her so I want to make sure the brakes are well up to the job. Plus I'm all or nothing thats why I had my first BM at 18, twelve years later and the passion is still in my blood!!!!!!

Tell me if I'm wrong????

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 23:03
If I would be in your position I would worry how to get the supercharger conversion running (and lasting!)before I would think aoubt the brakes. Talk to one of my friends in Germany how has just blown his third supercharged engine...........
lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 09:28
I am kind of with Uwe on this. Biggest is not always best. I am sure with 18"s you can fit monster brakes, but you have already added a shed load of weight with those wheels, monster brakes add even more unsprung weight that your suspension now has to deal with. In conjunction with uneven road surfaces, your springs and shocks are going to be working double-time to keep that mass under control. Surely the best approach is the smallest brake setup you can fit, that provides sufficient braking for the car.

I have said this before, the stock setup on the e30 M3 is pretty good in terms of stopping power. However, the disk design and setup is pants, which is why we all have garages full of trashed disks. Therefore, I would have thought a lightweight setup (AP, Wilwood, Hi-Spec) with 2 piece disks and 4 pot calipers would suffice for most. Not only by improving the braking and longevity of the components but also by reducing un-sprung weight and providing better ride and suspension effect.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 09:59
Weight is really an issue. I am upgrading to 300x25 from 285x22 and just by lifting the two different disks around you notice straight away that the 300 disk is much more heavy than the M3 disk. So I would really like to lift one of these 342x35 monsters! Okay, it is sitting on an alloy bell, but still a lot of cast iron there.
adwo View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2004 at 16:29

Adwo,

Does your brembo set-up have solid discs or two piece? I'd be intrested in some info on your wilwoods, what was the caliper offset? if the disc is wider then why wasn't the offset from the mounting point to the centre line of the caliper larger to accommodate this? did they miss-sell you an inappropriate brake kit?

Matt,

It's Bremsport not Brembo. Have a look at the pics at:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~adwo/Evo%202/DSC00198.JPG

Just browse the directory for more pics.. Regarding the Wilwood set up, it uses the giant GN III calipers and 330mm x 35mm discs. I test fitted them but there is not enough clearance.

KK motorsports in Germany sell steering control arms with a different pick up point attached to the strut housing. You need to buy a set of those to clear all suspension points..

HTH,

Adwo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic