Forum LockedRolling Road Day - Report and Pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rolling Road Day - Report and Pics
    Posted: 28-March-2009 at 12:07
I've now added a page to the BMWCCScotland website, with more pictures

http://www.bmwccscotland.co.uk/meets/2009/march/hypertech.ph p

Edited by nero

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 08:38

My traction control (DSC/DTC ABC DEF etc etc) was well and trully off on the RR and the car performed well untill the input revs got to much for the gearbox and it changed up, spoiling the power run.

My car was taken to the red line about a split second before the gearbox decided to change up, boo.  Was good fun though.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
broos3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broos3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2009 at 19:31
Yeh davy, That could well be the key. I cant beleive I did not remember this on the day. Its a good tip when you want to switch the TC off!! 

E36 M3 evo Saloon
E36 325i Track Car
Sierra RS Cosworth
davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2009 at 19:58
sorry ford nuts but getting back on topic.
was browsing another forum today and a post caught my eye to do with RR an m3
quote:hold dsc button in for more than 20 secs, dsc sign goes off and cannot be turned back on unless car is restarted, car goes into service mode, can be dyno,d up to red line and all electronic systems are off.
just wodered if this could be a contributing facor.
stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2009 at 18:33

Originally posted by broos3 broos3 wrote:

My cosworth has just ticked over 51k and been garaged most of its life apart from the first 2/3 years.

it's a beautiful beast Craig, cossies will always have a special place in my affections, if i could afford a really pristine unmodified 3-door or RS500 i'd buy it in a heartbeat

Was your dad the original owner? Good idea fitting the cosworth wheel in my opinion its a realy nice wheel to drive with.

No, he bought it in 1989 when it was six years old.  A mate of his at the time had a white one and when he had a drive he was smitten and thus started the hunt for one.  It was a daily driver up until he stored it in 1993 so I could learn to drive (never afford the insurance on it at the time and he was niggly about an inexperienced 17-year old behind the wheel, no idea why )  Since then it comes out of the garage during the summer months maybe once every few years?  It doesn't get used like it probably should but he loves the car so much I don't think he'll never sell it, we've got filing cabinets full of period promotional material, magazine reviews, XR4i model cars, the garage is stacked with spare parts "just in case", it's mental!  Got to have a hobby I suppose.... I keep on at him about taking it to car shows but that's not his thing, he likes going to shows to see other cars but not interested in showing it, shame really

Edited by stephenperry
broos3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broos3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2009 at 18:24
Two nice xr4i's there. They both have the door edge reflector things haha.

Your car sounds good stephen, good to know a cars past. Was your dad the original owner? Good idea fitting the cosworth wheel in my opinion its a realy nice wheel to drive with.

My cosworth has just ticked over 51k and been garaged most of its life apart from the first 2/3 years.

Craig
E36 M3 evo Saloon
E36 325i Track Car
Sierra RS Cosworth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2009 at 18:23
Originally posted by jimmy136 jimmy136 wrote:

dear knows where it is now though, them pics are about 20 years old

The enquiry is complete
The vehicle details for A87 WOS are:

Date of Liability 01 02 1997
Date of First Registration 01 08 1983
Year of Manufacture 1983
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2792CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour RED
Vehicle Type Approval null

looks like it was scrapped or SORNed in 1997

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?or igin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.re fresh&pageid=Vehicle+Enquiry

Edited by stephenperry
jimmy136 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmy136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2009 at 17:44

I realy like the XR4i's, red with the grey bumpers looked great. Get some pics up of the old girl.

that brings back some happy memories, i used to have one o them

dear knows where it is now though, them pics are about 20 years old

Edited by nero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2009 at 21:01

I realy like the XR4i's, red with the grey bumpers looked great. Get some pics up of the old girl.

My dad has owned it for 20 years (so far!) of its 26 year life, 86,000 miles from new and all original including paint and bodywork (apart from the cosworth steering wheel which i bought brand new as a birthday present but the original two-spoke wheel with twin-button horn push is in storage)

Edited by stephenperry
broos3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broos3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2009 at 18:46
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

There are some pictures of the Sierra for you Andrew and others who are interested. I might get some better pics of it put together later and put a proper post up. The pics are abit old and the sh*te strut brace has been removed and the car is back to completly original.

The car its just a summer car and hardly gets used. Sits in the garage all the time and gets cleaned more than it gets driven as you can see haha.

Craig

Good to see another sierra owner (i have an original 1983 XR4i), they're getting thin on the ground these days 

Yeh they are getting thin on the ground. I Still realy enjoying driving the cosworth, its razzer sharpe and the gearshift from the T5 is amazing.

E36 M3 evo Saloon
E36 325i Track Car
Sierra RS Cosworth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2009 at 16:28

There are some pictures of the Sierra for you Andrew and others who are interested. I might get some better pics of it put together later and put a proper post up. The pics are abit old and the sh*te strut brace has been removed and the car is back to completly original.

The car its just a summer car and hardly gets used. Sits in the garage all the time and gets cleaned more than it gets driven as you can see haha.

Craig

Good to see another sierra owner (i have an original 1983 XR4i), they're getting thin on the ground these days 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2009 at 15:01

Nice Cozzie

I'd have a V6 2.3 Ghia Cortina.

Wonder what it would produce on a rolling road.  120 bhp mibbie?  At least it would have worked properly and not cut out due to fancy electronics in the engine.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
curnrik View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curnrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2009 at 01:06

Oh yeah she looks the part, RS cossie or XR4x4, i wanted one of those. But if i could have any Ford right now, i'd Take the Capri any day. My childhood dream car. 2.8 injection in black oh yes.

broos3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broos3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2009 at 21:04

Craig
E36 M3 evo Saloon
E36 325i Track Car
Sierra RS Cosworth
fluffnik View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2009 at 16:26
"Torque converter flare" does not seem sufficient explanation for the lower end of this:

ALPINA B10 V8 Touring #36
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2009 at 13:35

As I said Andrew realy like the 545i, its a real sleeper and in great condition!! Hope you get the wee bits of tyre of the rear 1/4 panels.

Cheers Craig.  Have you got any more piccies of the Cosworth?  Ditch the BMW and get the Cozzie going.

What's more annoying is that I had made a right hash of removing the sealant I had put on the rear wings etc the day before, now that the car is a bit dirty you can see where I hadn't buffed off the sealant.  It sets rock hard and is a real pain to shift.

That reminds me I need to get more BMW dust caps as one went missing after my tyre pressures "were adjusted" by the RR staff.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Rolland

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
rabj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2009 at 13:09

Thanks to Duncan and everyone who organised the day.

Was good to get my car on the rollers and get a base figure to work on.  The figure I got was slightly disappointing until you look at the other figures produced.

Anyone will tell you that most M3 Evo's will not produce the advertised 321 PS (316bhp) so if you take the 50bhp "missing" from the M3 GT, E46 M3 and CSL, I should be looking at an actual 321bhp which is a fantsatic output for a midly tuned Evo (Simota CAI, superchip). I will be putting it on another dyno (probably Star) to find out. 

Here's my graph

broos3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broos3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2009 at 21:13
I enjoyed the RR day on sunday. Bar the fact the rolling road /operator was poor. (just my 2p worth)

Was good meeting up with you guys again and met afew more of you. As I said Andrew realy like the 545i, its a real sleeper and in great condition!! Hope you get the wee bits of tyre of the rear 1/4 panels.

Also good speaking to Rab with the other M3 evo. Good to comapre faults etc.

Craig
E36 M3 evo Saloon
E36 325i Track Car
Sierra RS Cosworth
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2009 at 09:33

Looks like :

232lb/ft @ 4125rpm (314.5NM so right torque at wrong rpm?)
239.8bhp @ 6125rpm

vs run on Maha :

310.8NM @ 5235rpm
292.4bhp @ 7360rpm

Edited by Webdunk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2009 at 08:01

Originally posted by fluffnik fluffnik wrote:

The lower end of the torqueue curve makes no sense though...

>320ftlb @ ~1200rpm

Yeah there is something very wrong with the torque results from this Rolling Road.  I think his torque calibration must be way out as my car was putting out more torque than the gearbox can handle safely!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic