Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy New W Reg 2000 840 Sport Individual

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul_540i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2009 at 20:12
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Originally posted by fluffnik fluffnik wrote:

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Were some of these 840's fitted with four wheel steering?

Just the 850CSi and the B12 5.7 Coupé had active rear wheel steering, although there is an element of passive steering in the others, like everything with the Z-axle.

Ah I see said the blind man.

Thanks for that.

'scuse the stoopid question but whats a B12 Coupe?  Is that based on the 8 Series?  I've not got my head round the Alpina B numbers etc.  E numbers yes....

Andrew

There were 2 B12 coupe models: The 5.0 (based on the early 850i) and the much more desirable 5.7 (based on the 850CSi). The latter has all the usual CSi features (AHK, throttle sensitivity switch, 6-speed manual box, etc) but also had a more powerful engine (415 BHP standard) and the usual Alpina suspension and styling tweaks.

There were only around 17 RHD 5.7s produced. A good low mileage one that has been properly looked after will fetch upwards of £40k.

The next best thing is the 850CSi itself, which is still a fantastic car at a much more affordable price than the B12. Good ones can be had for £12-15k these days, even less for slightly ropier ones but it's a false economy buying a "cheap" CSi.

Mine is somewhat of a poor-man's equivalent to the CSi, as it has all the CSi styling and the 6-speed manual box, but is somewhat down on the engine power!
540i 6-speed manual (sold)

840Ci 6-speed manual (sold)

318is (sold)

Yamaha R1 (sold)
Sponsored Links

GarCE30M3CONV View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarCE30M3CONV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2009 at 19:00

Hey Paul yours looks very similar to mine are you attending the meet next Sunday ?

I think I'll attend and plan to meet up with another new 8 owner.

Paul_540i View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul_540i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2009 at 03:04
I'll try to make the meet, although the 8 is currently at my mate's as I bust one of the headlight adjusters (they are made of cheap plastic and break if you look at them wrong). So I need to strip the headlight unit and fit new adjusters first

Currently running around in the 318is, damn that thing is sloooooow although it does do 28 MPG and is a hoot to drive even with the lack of power
540i 6-speed manual (sold)

840Ci 6-speed manual (sold)

318is (sold)

Yamaha R1 (sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic