Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTech1 325i Sport Restoration...Engine complete

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"It’s F*cked"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pimpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 12:16
I think the B20 con rods are shorter
E90 320d - M635 CSi - 635CSi Highline - GMC Typhoon - 4.6 P38
Sponsored Links

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 15:11
Right...thanks for all the praise guys and about the 2.8 build.....

What you need is a 2.5 to begin with, mine is the higher compression engine, which will give better power in the end. You also need a set of B20(2.0) con rods of which are shorter( I'll get to this in a mo), and an M50/M52 Non vanos or single vanos B28(2.8) crank.(later double vanos does not fit) With the 2.8 crank the stroke is longer and of which creates the larger capacity, around 2796cc when finished I think. Also for the front of the crank, a spacer is needed for the oil seal.
Due to the stroke being longer or bigger the pistons would stick out of the top of the block by about 3mm, therefore you need a  shorter set. This is where the B20 con rods come into it. The B25 con rods are 135mm from center to center and the B20 items are 130mm. this solving the problem, but by upto 2mm too much, so you also have to "Deck the block" or shave 2mm off of the block (in the same way you do to skim a head) to get the pistons bang on at the top of the cylinders.
As for the 12mm off of the Pistons, this is cause of the stroke of the crank being longer, the counter weights on the crank foul on to the pistons so the 12mm has to be shaved off to make the clearance for them.

So to recap..... swap the crank for the 2.8 item and add a spacer for the oil seal, shave 12mm off the pistons, use B20 con rods, and possibly deck the block to get it perfect, then voilas....a 2.8 liter M20

Edited by vpricey
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 16:48
how much extra power can you expect after all that paul.
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 17:15
Well put it this way, it's pretty tough to get a 2.5 upto the 200bhp mark without a lot of head work and stuff, but the 2.8 should be around the 220bhp mark, any more and I'll be delighted
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 17:42

Cheers for that info Paul, sounds like you know what you are doing.

220 bhp, that I'll be a pocket rocket!

Keep us posted with loads more pictures of oily bits

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
alym786 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alym786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 18:32
Great work so far Paul! Your very brave...
When you hoping she will be finished?

E46 328ci now sold :(
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2009 at 17:57
Right a wee bit of an update....

Since last updated I've changed my mind on the 2.8 front, I'm gonna keep it as the 2.5 for the mo but I'm gonna do the motronic 1.3 upgrade(the later Tech2 engine management) and maybe a couple of other things but staying mainly standard for the mo....

So at the weekend I thought I'd make a start to getting things cleaned up and I also wanted to get the crank out  too so I could have a look at the shells.

So first up, out with the crank, and I even managed to get the rear oil seal casing off without having to take the block off of the stand   but I wanted the sandwitch plate off so I had to take it off anyway. lol.

As for the shells these were the worst in the block...

Crank looks good too...

And these were the worst from the caps...

Getting changed anyway tho, so after about 4hours with some degreaser and a few brushes I got the sump, rear sump cover, timing covers, rocker cover, inlet manifold, engine mounting arms, alternator bracket,  and a few other bits all cleaned up, but I forgot to get pics but you'll see them when they go back on.

As for the block, it also got scrubbed and a run over with a wire brush/drill attachment prior  to being painted....

then a coat of "Cylinder Black", seemed quite good at the time, but could do with a few more coats.....

So thats where I'm upto at the mo, I've ordered loads of engine parts so I should maybe get building this back up by the weekend   Oh and Ive had a play around with my rocker cover so we'll see how that turns out I may do the Inlet manifold the same colour too
muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2009 at 20:52
All that engine type stuff is all well and good but when will we get shiney pictures.. only joking looks like some job you are doing, only wish I understood half of it.
I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2009 at 21:42
Originally posted by muppet 2 muppet 2 wrote:

All that engine type stuff is all well and good but when will we get shiney pictures.. only joking looks like some job you are doing, only wish I understood half of it.

When I find a bloody body shop that wants to take on my sort of work!! it's wearing me out now!! You'll get a shiney pic when the engine's built back up next week hopefully!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 12:47

Some more interesting oily bit photos!

Just wondering, how do you stop the inside of the cylider bores and the bearing surfaces of the crank etc from rusting now that you have removed them from oil contact?

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 13:39
Paul how did you get on with Stuart for the welding
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2009 at 13:45

No luck Gary, the job is too big for him, and he wouldn't be sure how quick he could get it done if he did take it on, back to square 1!

Andrew, just get the engine back together quick!!
Nah you could put a covering of oil over those areas, but the bores seem to have sweated out a thin layer of oil, so thats keeping them clean.

gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 13:24
What about the garage that carried out the scuttle welding on my M3. You could try them. 01236 422241
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 17:41
Woohoo more parts have arrived for the engine, new shells, gaskets, bearings, loads of stuff, just waiting for a few more bits from the stealers and then it's good to go

OH and I have been playing around with my rocker cover too.....

Didn't come out too badly, still needs laqured but I'll do that later. Might do my inlet manifold too
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2009 at 18:12

Rocker cover looks good.

Bodyshop wise you could try

CH Bull and Sons Coachworks Kilmacolm Road in Bridge of Weir

Tel 01505 614961

They are between Paisley and Greenock out in the sticks, a bit like Penicuik but on t'other side of the country! About 60 miles west of you.

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2009 at 13:56
Just thought I'd revive my thread and do a little update.

Over the past wee while I've been mainly buying parts for the engine to get re-built and been cleaning things up, and tonight I should be receiving my parts order from BMW. My step dad Colin works for the Eastern Western group and has managed to get me some discount on the parts I've ordered, although they still came in at around £550   Was a bit shocked when I found that out!.lol.

Anyway, I've sent the Crank and crank pulley away to Engine Services in Rosewell for a new spigot bearing to be fitted and for two bolts that sheared off in the lower pulley to be removed. So I should get those back later today. Also the rocker cover is all finished and ready to go, just the inlet manifold to laqured up, block's painted, pistons cleaned, so once I get all the parts It'll be time to get the thing built up, can't wait.

I'll post up some pics tonight, before we get underway.....

nessiemark View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nessiemark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2009 at 18:14
Oh my God Paul, now that is a restoration. Good luck
E36 M3 GT sold

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2009 at 21:06
BMW Dealer Parts....

Guide shells...

New Piston rings...

So it was all new Hoses, new seals, Head gasket, o-rings, new con rod bolts, shells, HT lead cover and various other gaskets.

Then we get to the oil pump. I noticed that Trev( B7) had rebuilt his oil pump rather than buying a new one, so thought I'd have a bash at it myself.
The bottom of the oil pump was heavily scored, so as Trevor did I attempted to cut it back with the wet and dry to get it smooth again, and this was the outcome...

Not bad considering its original state, I used a mirror that had quite thick glass and some 1500 wet and dry.
Now onto the bits I ordered for the oil pump. I forgot that if a dealer wont sell these parts they'll make you buy the whole  bag....
So I ended up with 25 plastic rings for either end of the oil pump drive...

10 springs and 5 strainers.lol....

And 50 washers for at the end of the spring....

So if anyone wants any or need any let me know....

Getting there.....
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2009 at 22:43
Well done mate. Yopu any further forward with the rear quarters.
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2009 at 22:49
OMG well done and good luck. I am following this with interest (not that I understand much of it) but it will be great to see it all fit back together!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic