Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTech1 325i Sport Restoration...Engine complete

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tech1 325i Sport Restoration...Engine complete
    Posted: 08-November-2008 at 10:04

Well the Moment I've been waiting for, to finally get my own restoration under way. After about 2 months sitting in my  neighbours drive, my mate Neil and I moved my Sport up to a unit that my mate owns, where I am going to strip down and rebuild the car. My plans are to strip and rebuild the car myself, the body and trims will be sent off to the body shop, and I will clean, repaint and overhaul all parts before they are refitted. The Target is to have the car finished for Gaydon next year, so fingers crossed we'll see!!

On Thursday afternoon I went up to make a start. I had already previously removed the carpet as there is a water leak and the carpet was getting wet, so that has been dried and sitting in Mum's conservatory!!(I'm getting constant reminders to move it tho!!) Anyway,I'll apologise for the poor pictures, my camera didn't like the lighting for some reason, so I'll get some better ones later. Firstly I removed the rear lights, bumper and boot locking mechanism, spoiler, and all boot trims. Then the Interior was removed, rear windows and I started on removing all of the items from the drivers door. Then I called it a night.

who ever replaced the Tech 1 spoiler with the Tech 2 item didn't put the material to prevent it rubbing on the boot, as it is almost through to bare metal at one point.

On Friday I done the Passenger door, started on the sunroof(had to cut all of the sealant out for this, great fun), then started on the front and sills

The sill weren't as bad as I was expecting, my uncle who replaced the front wing said they were really bad and I should maybe consider selling the car, but I couldn't do that

Usual front jacking point...

Bumper off....

Front valance...

This must have been replaced at some point as there were two bottom bolts missing and these...

I might investigate this, see what I can find out...

And that's where I'm up to at the mo, I've still to remove the dash, but I'm going to remove the PAS fluid and coolant so I'll drive her outside for that then I'll get stuck in to the engine bay next week!!

ta ta for now!!

Edited by vpricey
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
Sponsored Links

stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2008 at 10:32
You've been busy young man, good luck with it all and as I said last week anything I can do to help just holler.

On a side note I noticed some interesting metal in that unit

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2008 at 10:35
Yip my mate owns a jap import buisness haven't I landed lucky...

stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2008 at 10:51
you've got a few more inches space in which to work than Gary had with his restoration

It was the VR6, the Evo along with the old Transporter that caught my attention

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2008 at 16:21
excellent progress paul, at this rate you,ll have it done for xmas.
sending you a pm.
big pimpin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"It’s F*cked"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pimpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2008 at 16:44
Good work!

That's a real bonus having somewhere like that to do the job!
E90 320d - M635 CSi - 635CSi Highline - GMC Typhoon - 4.6 P38
coupe king View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coupe king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2008 at 18:53
Wow, good progress so far, looking forward to seeing her at the end!
sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
(Former) Scottish Region Wean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2008 at 19:48
Good on you Paul, I wish I had the BALLS to carry out something like that. I panic changing brake pads!!! Chin-Chin!

My Car

2004 M3 CSL and 2009 E90 M3
mil996 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2008 at 20:59

keep up the good work mate always wanted to do that with a mk 2 rs2000 showing ma age nu good luck anyway

gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2008 at 14:33
Well done mate about bloody time. if you need any help then give me a call. I used realoem.com as my bible when ordering parts and it was magic.

If you need anything give me a buzz
ianking View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2008 at 17:13

Looks like you have been busy Paul.

Might pop up for a look one night this week if you are going up. Give me a text if you are going to the unit.

2011 Mini Cooper S with Sport Pack
and ma Faithers 2010 Z4
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2008 at 17:27
Originally posted by gary gary wrote:

Well done mate about bloody time. if you need any help then give me a call. I used realoem.com as my bible when ordering parts and it was magic.

If you need anything give me a buzz

Cheeky bugger.....lol. Yip I've got most of my parts list made up already, but it's growing bigger!!

Ian, I'm going up tomorrow night If you want to nip up!!

Cheers guys for all the comments and offering of help, and I'll be in contact If required...

Cheers Paul.
fluffnik View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2008 at 23:53
You've got something to do in dark evenings at least...

Enjoy!
ALPINA B10 V8 Touring #36
Paul_540i View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul_540i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2008 at 20:05
Looks ace mate, wish I had a place like that to work on the car.

Quite fancy an E30 as a second car if and when I move out of the city centre. Parking is restricted everywhere around here and I only have one private space, so no chance of a 2nd car.

I think it would make a great fun track weapon too, although I'd be looking more at the shed end of the market rather than mint as I'll probably end up doing a bit of unplanned off-roading at Knockhill
540i 6-speed manual (sold)

840Ci 6-speed manual (sold)

318is (sold)

Yamaha R1 (sold)
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2008 at 14:47

Got a bit more done last night, removed the other front wing and sill, and the sills aren't that bed at all, might not need to get both sides done!!  Will post some pics later. Also removed the sunroof assembly and front and rear screens with Neil's help...

The removed the headlining and the foam from behind it and then cringed at the sign of rust.... 

But not to worry thats getting replaced, I just hope the roof skin is ok behind it...

Then Neil and I proceeded to remove the dash....

So now I can get to the heater box and start to do a bit to the wiring loom after labeling it all up.  Oh and if anyone knows of anyone selling Air Con then can you let me know as I'm on the look out for a kit. 

Getting there!! 

gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2008 at 11:21
Are the wipers too difficult for you mate. Give me a call and I'll show you how to take them off

That's the worst thing about starting something like this. You strip it back find a wee bit of rust and then the more you delve into it the more problems you uncover.

Keep up the good work mate
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2008 at 14:57
Nah just couldn't be bothered to remove them before taking the screen out, that would involve common sense you see!!lol 

I think I've found most of the rust, Just need to see whats on the bulkhead.
big pimpin View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"It’s F*cked"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big pimpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2008 at 12:07

Rust looks scary but I suppose thats what doing a restoration job is all about....getting rid of it!

E90 320d - M635 CSi - 635CSi Highline - GMC Typhoon - 4.6 P38
TRACKPIG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRACKPIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2008 at 13:44

good work

there cant be many mtech 1's left now!

REMEMBER- POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT KELLY REMOULDS
E30 325 Sport - Gone but not forgotten
E36 M3 evo
Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Piece
Big Stuff View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2008 at 21:35
good thread
2002 330ci SE - Factory Straight - Now gone cause am skint and in a wee diesel - Aw naw - boo hoo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic