Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBimmerfest UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baur320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bimmerfest UK
    Posted: 14-October-2006 at 21:46

Bimmerfest UK - the last major show of the year - takes place at Donington Park on Sunday 22/10/06, and, bearing in mind the time of year, it's also indoors.

The advert quotes Classic & Modern BMWs, Modified Cars, Trade Stands, Show Cars, Autojumble, Tuner Cars, Cars For Sale and Race Cars.

There's been a trip down for this event going back to when it was the national event for the old Driver's Club. Don't expect it to be another Gaydon, because it isn't, but it's still a good day and could be the last trip out of the year.

Anyone fancy a run down - was thinking of 0715 from Washington Services, 0815 Scotch Corner (Middleton Tyas) services?

Cheers,

Mick

Current E30 325i, E36 M3 Evo,
Previous E21 320/4, E9 3.0 CSA, E12 525, E30 320i, E28 528i, E34 535is, E30 318i, E28 525e, E30 325i Touring, E30 Baur 327i
Sponsored Links

petetina View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petetina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2006 at 10:54

we,re going down with the 7 and meeting up with a few more 7s at donnington services----its usually a really good day out

travelling down from selby M18----M1

Edited by petetina
baur320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baur320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2006 at 17:37
Final reminder for this weekend - meeting details below.

Cheers,

Mick
Previous E21 320/4, E9 3.0 CSA, E12 525, E30 320i, E28 528i, E34 535is, E30 318i, E28 525e, E30 325i Touring, E30 Baur 327i
Carpetbagger View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
BMW the road is not enough

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carpetbagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2006 at 17:50
  hi Mick Im Undecided on going to donington as my son cant come , who else is going with you

Regards Al
baur320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baur320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2006 at 17:57

Alan,

So far there's Lizzy, Andy, Scott and us. I've got posts on other forums so should pick up a few more.

Shame those Alpinas were'nt 4 stud, mind 

M3sportEvo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3sportEvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2006 at 23:38

hi chaps.

come along to the E30 Register display and say hello to us.

skh 325i sport (black)

Jeff Spangle View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Spangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2006 at 10:06
As predicted, the "official" club forum has said it was an excellent show.

Mmmm...

I went yesterday and was very disappointed by the show. £10 is too much to charge for what was there, too few trade stands and it was evident that some cars had pulled out.

I heard many comments from punters expressing their disappointment at the cover charge considering "is that all there is?".

It is a great shame, for all those who made the effort to show a car, some travelling a fair distance the day before even. Having to clean it, wax it, position it properly then stand by it for a portion of the day to answer questions. I believe the rest of the show let those people down.

It was a good show for a "first go", but it isn't a first go, it has had it's first go a few years ago. It ought to be bigger, it ought to have been as it was promoted.

It wasn't.

It certainly wasn't worth £10.
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2006 at 10:15

I enjoyed it, and from what I did hear, as I showed my car, was that the dimensions given of the hall were wrong, therefore there was more space than was anticipated as the club had turned down many requests for showing cars and only very few didn't turn up, but that's a lesson for next year

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2006 at 11:15
It was certainly busier two years ago when I last went.

If you walked slowly you could see all there was to see in half an hour so, on balance, I don't think it was worth the 360 mile round trip or the £10 entrance fee (wasn't Gaydon £6?). It wasn't bad but I doubt I'll bother going again.

Maybe if they'd allowed access to the spectator stand to see some of the racing that was going on it might have added to the experience a bit.

In future I'll save my time & money for the NEC Classic Car Show which is on next weekend as tbh, once you've seen one E30, E36 or even, dare I say it, E24 then you've seen them all. At least the CCS gives a bit of variety.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2006 at 19:53
The show was dreadful ! Last year both side car parks had stalls . I feel sorry for all the wasted effort of the members who took their cars there and put them on display. Yet again security was non existent and people were walking in from the side without being challenged and as for the car club selling fleeces with burberry insides.
Trinny and Susannah would have been rubbing their hands with glee.

Being given the wrong dimensions is not an excuse.

I am sure the propeganda on the other website and club magazines will say what a fantastic event it was.

The best bit for me was talking to or meeting mates

It was expensive , tired format. I for one will not be back.

Rob
Robert Born
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3sportEvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2006 at 23:00

jeffS and robmw

All constructive comments are useful in identifying failings BUT the clever art is turning these on their heads and coming up with some REALLY helpful comments so the event will be more sucessful next  time.

so heres the challange how about a continuous thread on HOW TO PLAN A GREAT BMW SHOW.   lead the way chaps...  

Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2006 at 00:07
Originally posted by M3sportEvo M3sportEvo wrote:

HOW TO PLAN A GREAT
BMW SHOW.   lead the way chaps...  

Easy - don't involve the BMW Car Club - the old
saying about the p1ss up/brewery interface springs
to mind.
The problem is that the BMWCC want to turn it into a
Mini Gaydon which takes away the atmosphere of
the good old days of the Driver's Club. Quite simply
we're all pretty fed up with BMW only shows. It's all
been seen and done before ad nauseum and there
isn't really a lot else to see.

I got in for free, just like I did at Gaydon only at
Gaydon I borrowed a ticket and cruised on through.
A successful formula would be to combine a big
BMW meeting with one from say the Ford RS Club,
Alfa Romeo, Mercedes or Porsche clubs. At least, as
Andy rightly said, there's some variety.

I think Donington is dead now, it's run its course.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2006 at 00:37
FFS, I read fat boys post on the club forum and it is not the clubs fault - its everyone elses so stop blaming the club! They didn't encourage the thousands (yes thousands!) to stroll into Gaydon & Donnington without paying, burberry is fashionable and the trade exhibitors wouldn't advertise despite numerous calls - not the clubs fault that they decided a sleep in would be better for business!
There is too much sniping about the club here when in fact (as always) they are blameless! The event was an outstanding success and nobody shall say otherwise if they want to remain in the club.

(I should probably stop now)
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2006 at 01:12
Originally posted by Andyboy Andyboy wrote:

A successful formula would be to combine a big
BMW meeting with one from say the Ford RS Club, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes or Porsche clubs.

Well I'd be up for that, especially if you insert the word "and" between each make!

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2006 at 11:15
....which won't happen whilst the Fat Fuehrer is at the
controls!
Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2006 at 19:58
M3 sport evo

I am afraid the rot of the car club lies much deeper than the way an event or events are organised . The sycophantic comments in the magazines readers letters or on the other forum is nothing short of propaganda . It insults the intellegence of the readers.

Whilst my comments are solely against the club I am rational enough to acknowledge the work of some members and that is not all bad

Andy S speaks of the Classic Car Show at the NEC this coming weekend - are you aware that BMW Car Club has a stand at the show Ross Harris and James Sole will try and sell many memerships as they did last year. Both put in a considerable amount of effort. BMW Car Club will not pay for the stand . The reason is that in their minds they would not sell enough memberships to make it worth while.

Even the Austin Maxi Owners club or the Wartburg/Trabant owners have a stand at the show ! but not BMW. There are 160 Car Clubs represented at the show

If the organisation at the last two shows had included basic security then maybe they would have been able to afford a stand on the biggest display of Classic Cars.

I named just two of the members working for the club and I realise that up and down the country there are many more doing equally as much work supporting the club
There are many members up and down the country working for the club.

So I put it to you challenge the board to run the club the way the members want and not the way their small little egos want
Robert Born
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3sportEvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2006 at 22:03

some interesting points and whilst not wishing to 'push under the carpet' other club issues, Iam only interested here on ways to improve the car club events for ALL members and visitors benifits.

Common Positives seem to include;        &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p; Return to atmosphere of the Drivers days. What was it that made this event special back then??

security.  should this be bourght in or run by club members??

Traders.  with advent of ebay and internet will traders ever return to these events in numbers??

Join/ run with other clubs for big indoor events?? or ALL major events??

what about these ideas

Regional stands??  with a bit of friendly banter/ competition ??

concours/ show and shine  IN or OUT??

Demonstrations such as detailing??

Tecnical demos or talks??

Club officials Question Time?? 

is it the time of year?? better in March/April than back end of year??    

Venue?? alternate between Stoneleigh and Donny?? others venues??

whilst there are many that do offer their services, how to attract the likes of you and me to HELP during the day to spread the workload??

stopping now to give you a chance while I lay down!! Lets get a FULL barrell of ideas to and continue Brain-storming. thanks skh  

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3sportEvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-October-2006 at 22:14

note for moderators.

If you feel this discussion should be put under a different section ie general or bmw related events then do feel free to move as I would like to attract as much response as poss. BEFORE putting pen to paper in letterto the  powers that be. skh

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3sportEvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 00:40
after two bottles of good red wine (hic..)
what about all those who 'sponser' their local dealer speak to them and get 1) some freebies and 2) raffle prize ??? that way ALL paying members and public could get a pressie.
plus a programme to say whats on throught the day??
what about say Thorney taking a space and holding technical clinic Q&A sessions??
john drake and merguirs on car care products??
scalextric fastest lap??

back to my red wine so poss.more tomorrrow. 
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 13:15

Glad I didn't go - for the first time in many, many years!

Sounds like it was worse than last year - and that was pretty dire!

Perhaps 'We' should re-form the BMWDC and run it 'ourselves'?  

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic