Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 and Rust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Dont let the misses drive it!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2006 at 23:00
Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2006 at 23:12
Something to look out for when I look for one.. Can't have everything I guess..

Oh by the way, your signiture says...

Quote Beemer dan 523i se 1997 (143K) Canyon rot red, auto.

Wasn't this a clue to your present problem?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2006 at 23:21

ha ha ha ha, very well spoted, never would have put 2 and 2 together. My car has not started rotting yet "hopefully". Thats the next stage i presume.. i should have wrote it in german......

Beemer dan 523i SE 1997 (184K) Canyon Rot Red, auto. 330 CI Msport Convertible, blue 51K.
brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brybusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 16:22
That looks pretty bad...my friends "P" plate E39 is rusting on the boot around the boot lock area...its not had any accident damage to it but it has done 230K...
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 18:31

Hi all

if you look at the close up there are some round plastic plugs hiding in between the bumper and were the rust is, i assume all of them have got them. I guess thbis is where the air and damp is getting in. Also on the bonnet underneth the lip were the rust bubbles are, the bead were the metal is rolled back underneth has split.

I guess this is just bad look and i will have to get a spray shop to do the bonnet and the boot end. What should i expect to pay for a sprayed bonnet? has anyone had it done?

Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 22:26
Reckon about 150 a panel. That's almost definitely
had a spank and repair for the bonnet to do that. The
rust has come from the inside and around the edge
and I've never seen an E39 do that.
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 22:41

Hi andy

Something is going on a i aint seen any other e9 like it or anytrhing as bad, and i do look after my car, not religioiusly but i like to keep it looking good. 150 notes......ummmmmm....ummmmmmmm

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 08:10

Wow, that does look bad.

The bonnet could just be down to untreated stone chips. Surely you would be able to tell if it had been damaged and repaired quite easily?

If I was you I'd rub it down and remove all the rust yourself before you get it repainted. that way you will know it has been done properly.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 08:39
I would be looking at painting up a good second hand bonnet on that one.. the rust will come back one day no matter how well the shop tries to fix it.

The back panel is more labour intensive and may well have to remain in place and be repaired to be cost effective.
Have you removed the rear bumper to see the full extent of the rust?

Have you considered what it would cost you to swap for a similar car in good order.. I am sure you could get it fixed up and looking sweet for much less.

It may be not as important theses days but.. a couple of decades ago you would never have bought a car from the seaside.. I am sure the salty air has accelerated the decay.

Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 12:19

I would like to remove the bumper so i can have a look at it, i put a post on last week RE: removing the rear bumper but no one apperaed to know how to do it or how easy/hard it was to remove the bumper. I need a rear bumper anyway so was looking to get it sprayed up with the bonnet and the rust spots on the back.

I think it would be cheaper to get it fixed up i would say, though i could get something less milege,but i like a car that has never failed its MOT

BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 13:45

You know, just looking at those photos again...

It looks like the car has a bad skin infection or something ...

Careful everyone, it may be catchy... Keep you BM isolated at home in bed until it all clears up...

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 18:57

I think my car maybe slowely heading for a permanent quaranteen area " the scrap Yard" (well breakers)!!!!!! Ive had about Enough of it really, it gives me so much stress!!!!!

Anybody want a slightly modified bonnet, will be supplied complete with the dreaded DISEASE!!!

Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 19:23
the bumpers are easy to remove at home, no special tools needed, just a socket set.
Look at this link.. E39 rear bumper
Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 19:40
cheers, thats very usefull.
jamie (e39)528i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie (e39)528i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 20:37

Exharper,that rust does look quite bad,but if you say the car is otherwise mechanicaly sound then i would be tempted to get it sorted and keep the car.

Better the devil you know i say.

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 20:51
Coming in bit late on this one, sorry.......mines definately got it.......front wheel arch on side, back wheel arch on the lip and rear quarter along where it joins the bumper.

Moving back to a 3 methinks....p'ex deal I reckon too!
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie (e39)528i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 20:54

Originally posted by Stone-IslandV8 Stone-IslandV8 wrote:

Coming in bit late on this one, sorry.......mines definately got it.......front wheel arch on side, back wheel arch on the lip and rear quarter along where it joins the bumper.

Moving back to a 3 methinks....p'ex deal I reckon too!
You haven't had your E39 long either?

What year/mileage is your E39?

Maybe need to keep a closer eye on mine?

Maybe it is a mileage issue rather than an age problem?

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 20:58
had a few tiny bubbles on my old 1999 520 with 135k on clock, these are on a 1998 535 with 123k on clock...only had it 7 months....going to go back to 3s if theres one around with decent mileage.

Can get the front done for 250 but with no guarantee cos of rust...plus got running problems, not had lot of fun with my 5s.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie (e39)528i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 21:03

Originally posted by Stone-IslandV8 Stone-IslandV8 wrote:

had a few tiny bubbles on my old 1999 520 with 135k on clock, these are on a 1998 535 with 123k on clock...only had it 7 months....going to go back to 3s if theres one around with decent mileage.

Can get the front done for 250 but with no guarantee cos of rust...plus got running problems, not had lot of fun with my 5s.
Oh dear,doesn't sound too good,sorry to hear of your running prob's

Neither of your cars are that high mileage really.

Mine is currently on 134,000 and i will be giving it a clean tomorrow and inspecting it very closely!!!

Exharper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exharper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 21:14

sorry guys didnt mean to start you all on a wide scale rust inspection day this weekend. Hope you sleep ok tonite!!!

My rust started on 130K and when it starts it spreads like Cow s--t on a grass field. (from experience)

I dont have rust anywee else though, the wings are spot on, just keep an eye out for the plastic lugs hidden underneath the boot slam panel and the bumper. You can see them if you look closely!!!! hope there is an antidote!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic