Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedUwe & the boys in TBMW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2006 at 12:27
I was at that track day, and yes came past him a few times per outing !
he didn't know the indy circuit in his defence but the car in my eyes is all out power and no handling, i don't think the car is at all well set up and could in the future be a very quick car in the right hands ?
only my opinion
Martin 
Oops i went and got an E36 !
Sponsored Links

piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2006 at 13:48

Well it's certain that mine with the GAZ suspension & dunlop trackday tyres can carry a lot more speed round corners than before, but good track knowledge (especially when long like the Ring) can count even more!

Martin - very pleased with my set-up now.

piers66
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2006 at 14:28
I was told at Croft buy the guy who built the engine and car that he built the suspension. He said he runs it on the bump stops. That's how there's no compression in the travel. He said he had made 6 sets for his pals. That's why it did not handle well at all.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2006 at 16:49
Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

I was told at Croft buy the guy who built the engine and car that he built the suspension. He said he runs it on the bump stops. That's how there's no compression in the travel. He said he had made 6 sets for his pals. That's why it did not handle well at all.

Toby, i just hope his engine building is better advised than his suspension setup's ?

Piers i'm glad your happy with the Gaz setup, are you at Silverstone ?

Oops i went and got an E36 !
piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2006 at 17:34
piers66
piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2006 at 17:41

Dyno plot posted at last. Comparing this to results from TBMW - which of course doesn't list power at wheels - my power seems to be peaking 400rpm higher - certainly car feels like it wants to run "past" 7800 limiter.

Martin - not sure about Silverstone - not much vacation left.

I'm doing Cadwell on 11th if anyone interested in seeing what a 3.91 ratio feels like with above engine power.

piers66
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2006 at 18:38
Originally posted by piers66 piers66 wrote:

Dyno plot posted at last. Comparing this to results from TBMW - which of course doesn't list power at wheels - my power seems to be peaking 400rpm higher - certainly car feels like it wants to run "past" 7800 limiter.

Martin - not sure about Silverstone - not much vacation left.

I'm doing Cadwell on 11th if anyone interested in seeing what a 3.91 ratio feels like with above engine power.

That's some very good numbers Piers! Congrats.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2006 at 23:03

He also said to me that R-Compound tyres are no good.....
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2006 at 23:05
Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

He also said to me that R-Compound tyres are no good.....

only no good compared to slicks, but better than road tyres. some folk just talk cobblers!
Toby

Matt T View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2006 at 00:52
Originally posted by trackM3 trackM3 wrote:

he didn't know the indy circuit in his defence but the car in my eyes is all out power and no handling, i don't think the car is at all well set up and could in the future be a very quick car in the right hands ?
only my opinion
Martin 

Theres not many tracks with only 7/8 corners though is there, surely after a few times round he would have it pretty much sussed.
E30Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E30Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2006 at 08:53
Matt T no offence but how many trackdays have you actually driven on, i think you'll find it takes more than a few laps to learn a circuit. I know people who have been racing and doing trackdays for years and are still learning new lines at circuits.

Lets not forget that Martin was on slik's and Gaz suspension on the day, the other car in question was on road tyres and not what you'd call track suspension.

Just remember chaps, POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL!
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2006 at 09:54
Originally posted by E30Matt E30Matt wrote:

Matt T no offence but how many trackdays have you actually driven on, i think you'll find it takes more than a few laps to learn a circuit. I know people who have been racing and doing trackdays for years and are still learning new lines at circuits.Lets not forget that Martin was on slik's and Gaz suspension on the day, the other car in question was on road tyres and not what you'd call track suspension.Just remember chaps, POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL!

The car in question has custom built suspension by the person who built the engine. It also has 6 pot tarox brakes.

One can learn a new circuit in a day, granted not as well as over serval visits, but a full open pit lane for a day, you would know the circuit by the end of the day, but not necessraly the correct lines. You would know which bend was approaching by then.

There's also a diffrence between learning what bend is coming next and what line to take. Getting the lines right at slow speed is easy enough, but putting it all together with speed, gear changes, braking at the right point, releasing the clutch at the right time as no to lighten the back end, turning in at the right time with the correct speed. Throttle position during the corner and then knowing when full power can be applied as early as poss. Once this has been achieved then on to setting the car up for the next corner. If any of the above is wrong then this may effect the approach for the next corner.

It just seems the owner does not have the natural tallent of some of the other drivers, just an observation.

Regarless of what power a car has. If set up with the same chassis setting then there will be a maximum limit of aheasion and once reached no more power can be applied, so if a 200 and 300 hp can both reach this point the only time power will help is on the exit.

This car also raced another 300 hp car, which had slicks. the car with slicks was behind. Once out of the chicane at croft it out dragged the car in question on the long straight. It may have been able to carry more speed through the chicane, but was behind, so the other car would be able to get on full throttle sooner.

Edited by 215m3
Toby

E30Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E30Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2006 at 10:27
215m3 i dont doubt the car in question has the power he is quoting and i know it has 6 pots and suspension but this dosen't mean that the suspension is set up correctly does it? Also just because it has 6 pot front brakes does this mean that the brake bias is set correctly?

I agree with what you said about driver tallent but boes this mean i should be doing touring cars, i was lapping Brian Long (Ex touring car driver?) in this car at Brands and i've only got 150 BHP and 3 cylinders?

I'm not running anyone down here or trying to upset people, just trying to get my views across.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2006 at 18:15
Originally posted by E30Matt E30Matt wrote:

215m3 i dont doubt the car in question has the power he is quoting and i know it has 6 pots and suspension but this dosen't mean that the suspension is set up correctly does it? Also just because it has 6 pot front brakes does this mean that the brake bias is set correctly?I agree with what you said about driver tallent but boes this mean i should be doing touring cars, i was lapping Brian Long (Ex touring car driver?) in this car at Brands and i've only got 150 BHP and 3 cylinders? I'm not running anyone down here or trying to upset people, just trying to get my views across.

6 pots are a waste of money when used with road tyres IMHO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic