Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGROUP BUY BTB tubular manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 18:15
You might no drive it, but how are the Dyno figures obtained? Not much worth of a comparison if you don't map it properly.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Sponsored Links

Nick @ TBMW View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 04:28
It's being dyno tuned on the RR...
Karlp View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 04:57

So just to clarify.

Is the car being dyno tuned on the RR using the std exhaust and then being retuned using the new exhaust.

Karl

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 05:50
Good point

It's not incumbent on the magazine to do anything in a particular way, of course, but it all seems a bit vague to me

the supersprint and manifold articles don't really tell us much other than that on an ordinary car the expense isn't worth it

but the promise is that the whole new exhaust system will work better once the engine has been tuned - by which time the baseline will have gone - so we'll never know how much the exhaust and manifold was really worth

all a bit haphazard. the one thing I've learnt in years of tuning is that unless you follow a logical sequence and plan properly you never know which of bits you have bought or made actually make you go faster so you just contine to spend hard earned money on items that look good but give poor value for money

for the improvements you've had on this car so far a new set of tyres would have been a better buy

needless to say, just my opinion - sorry to sound critical but i think the support for this series of articles is very very strong and nobody has published this sort of thing for the e30 m3 in this country before so perhaps there's an unreasonable amount of pressure on the mag....

Edited by Jonners
John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 16:00

>I've learnt in years of tuning is that unless you follow a logical >sequence and plan properly you never know which of bits you have >bought or made actually make you go faster so you just contine to >spend hard earned money on items that look good but give poor >value for money

you have a good point there.  what you are criticising is that "bolt on mentality" generally only takes you so far.  You will never get the big gains. The reason is that what often is done by changing a larger exhaust header with more flow potential and resonance at higher rpms, or larger intake manifold, etc.  is that all you do is change the breathing potential of the engine. But there is nothing inside the engine to back that up. So the potential is not taken advantage of and you dont get the power gain you hoped for.  If you havent made too wild a change, then what usually happens is that you somehow change the power deliver curve.  Peak torque may move somewhat further up the band -- which is good for a track motor.  But, usually, unless you have a FULL ENGINE CONCEPT worked out, you wont get any eye-brow raising. HP really does not add up like people expect it to.   These are already quite fine tuned and efficient engines from the factory.  Now if you were talking about old Chevy motors where they had major restrictions on the engine (cheaply built mass produced engines), then anything you do to those engines basically increases power -- up to a point.  Once you approach the true efficiency of the engine, its becomes the same as with S14s -- it takes matched engine components to squeeze out the power.  But, they have plenty of products available to do that, just look into the racing or drag racing scene and you will find all sorts of stuff.

Im not surprised the header does not do too much on a stock s14, because the stock header has been proven to be very efficient over its working band of 1000-7000 rpm.  The only real flow restriction in the stock exhaust system is a catylitic converter.  BMW did do their homework.  I also know from swapping exhaust systems on my own engine, that a retune is necessary. You should have a semi-optimal tune for each exhaust sytem, then dyno each on individually.

On higher output S14s,  I also know that the stock exhaust system is a restriction, and I also am pretty sure the single pipe exhaust setups are as well, atleast the ones up to 3" diameter, not a large restriction, but also not as good as a dual 60 mm pipe setup in the midrange and topend area.  Going with larger pipes though tends to increase the level of a secondary resonance down around 2500-2800 rpm and can cause a torque dip around 3000-3500 rpm. So there are trade offs here.  A dual 50 mm or dual 55 mm pipe might be better here.  I dont think any of this makes a difference though until youre running around 280+ hp.  In this arena, and given we usually have power band in the 5000-8000 or 6000-9000 rpm area, then the headers above could paint an entirely different picture. We wont know unless we just try it out, they look promising to me.

I dont know what the merges are going to do. I think that they will approximately do what a 4-1 header will do, because the merge is in the same general location.  It might make the header a bit peakier and biased toward maximum power in the powerband, this makes it make power in a narrower band though. This is just pure speculation on my part though. That is mostly how a 4-1 header behaves vs. a 4-2 header. Ive not scene any dyno plots and I may be quite wrong.

John

Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2006 at 11:35

Well, it looks like the car is being tuned either today or early next week, so hopefully we should have 'something' interesting that you can look at.

Matt T View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2006 at 23:49
Just to keep this going i am definately interested in a whole system, manifold included. Hopefully the GB wont be sorted for a month or two as i wont have the available funds untill then!

Nick, Dave - Shall i post this up on e30zone? We should get a fair bit of interest with the 325i systems?

Also, can you confirm that the BTB manifold along with the Y-piece and BTB 325i system will be a direct (and plug & play) replacement on the M3 from engine back?

Cheers, Matt
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2006 at 22:15
Can people who are ready to put up the 50% needed
add thier name to this list (we need 10 miniumum)
other forums could well be adding to this. S14.net,
members don't repeat your name.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
Karlp View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2006 at 08:11
Originally posted by Nick @ TBMW Nick @ TBMW wrote:

Well, it looks like the car is being tuned either today or early next week, so hopefully we should have 'something' interesting that you can look at.

Has this happened yet?

Also as asked earlier is the car being tuned on the 'old' exhaust first and then 'retuned' on the new or are they just going for the latter to get 'maximum' gains..

I would be interested but with the lack of answers to some vital questions itmakes me wonder if my engine will actually benefit from this upgrade.

karl

Edited by Karlp
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2006 at 19:30
It was tuned on the new manifold (or do you mean exhaust?) which netted 175whp with the new cams in, so I'm afraid I can't give you a comparison of the standard and new item.

Only way to really do it properly would be to get all four BMW manifolds and the BTB one and rolling road/tune for each.

Obviously you're looking at a huge amount of hours and a huge amount of cost involved in such a task!
stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2006 at 20:53
INick,

Is this on Powerstations rollers?

Is that a corrected wheel figure? If not post up the Baro and temp info and I'll correct it for you.

Are you going to put it on Northhampton Motorsports rollers for a valid comparison?

Steve
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2006 at 22:30
That's on Mech Repairs dyno. I'll find out if it's corrected.

We'll be going to Powerstation at the beginning of next month to get a figure to compare with our previous runs.

As to NM - I'll try and get over there asap although we're very busy at the moment with the Ewok and the mods! Does anyone used the same engine setup as us though? Still, could be interesting...

Edited by Nick @ TBMW
Karlp View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2006 at 08:33

Originally posted by Nick @ TBMW Nick @ TBMW wrote:

It was tuned on the new manifold (or do you mean exhaust?) which netted 175whp with the new cams in, so I'm afraid I can't give you a comparison of the standard and new item.

Only way to really do it properly would be to get all four BMW manifolds and the BTB one and rolling road/tune for each.

Obviously you're looking at a huge amount of hours and a huge amount of cost involved in such a task!

So we have no idea what extra power was gained by fitting this new manifold and what was gained by fitting the new cams.

Yes the project will take alot of hours and lots of money but for a logical well thought out article in a magazine that was writing about cheap upgrades then gains from each component in the build would have been useful.

It is quite possible the manifold is a complete waste of money.

Just my thoughts since I have just gone through a major engine rebuild but had it all planned out for me by John-M3.

Karl

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2006 at 12:31
Can we keep this thread to the group buy please.

Is anyone actually interested in me continuing to pursuing this ?

Dave
Matt T View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2006 at 05:25
Originally posted by 215DMX 215DMX wrote:

Can we keep this thread to the group buy please.

Is anyone actually interested in me continuing to pursuing this ?

Dave

Yes!
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2006 at 18:36
1) Matt
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
Matt T View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2006 at 22:10
Originally posted by 215DMX 215DMX wrote:

1) Matt

Like i say im definately interested given it occurs in a couple of months. There is 6 or so names on s14 too
Evolution View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2006 at 11:12

When is this going to take place?..

Whos incharge of the GB, As i would like to ask a few things, I may be intrested as well

Many Thanks

Evo

rezaq View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2006 at 12:30
defo interested if we manage to get the price right down, but like everyone else i am concerned about the drop in power and how it would perform on a 46mm TB car with just a scorpion and some magnecor leads. the car is a rocket at the moment so i dont really want to loose anything just to say that ive got a dtm manifold on. on the flip side, the dreaded manifold cracking could be eliminated once and for all...

keep me posted please
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2006 at 12:56
Originally posted by rezaq rezaq wrote:

on the flip side, the dreaded manifold cracking could be eliminated once and for all...

What makes you so sure if you don't mind me asking?

There is another "improved" exhaust dicussed here quite regular which seems to crack and crack and.....

I said it before and I am saying it again. On a STOCK engine you are waisting your money.

And to be honest, 175 rwhp with all this mods do not impress me either. So how cheap are cheap upgrades if they don't upgrade?
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic