Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedClarifying an M3?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 06:13

UWE, i didnt shortent the struts, there was no need, and this would have just complicated things. in the pics you will see a professionally done set, but they didnt have the holes for abs sensors, so if anyones interested!!!!

good info on the evo3, thought it was just part added after part i.e. your "evo 5" lol.

rear springs im using the 35mm lower psx spax type that came with the kit.  The car isnt an all out race machine, its gotta be a daily/ weekend driver as well, so compromises have been made, but very few.

Judge,

I pretty much totally agree with what your saying, just before the project i had a similar opinion, but money wise bolting in the 3.5 was the cheapest power upgrade i could come across (it was already in an e30 prior to me getting it). in the end this proved no extra help, as the engine mounts were not up to spec, and i wanted the engine further back anyway.

i can remember my main concern being engine mounts back then, as my 2.5 lump was very quick, even compared to the 325 sport, and i was forever replacing engine mounts.

I have helped or rather "given my opinion" on a few subjects on here, particularly with regard to what wheels you can fit on the e30, and doing a manual gearbox conversion for the 2.5 (my auto box went that the car came with, and i decided to go manual).

I now know alot about the mechanics of the cars, and generally everyone i know asks me about upgrades etc just as friends.

Its highly likley i'll be adding a supercharger to my fathers z3 2.8, or he may just go zm3 not sure yet. even so. I had a look at the chassis and were going to try some shock and spring combinations from my e30, as my parts were practically new when they came off, and changing a set of rear springs is only a couple of hours job.

and then there's my little brothers mini etc etc the list goes on, and the sense of achievement you get from doing this is so good.

Your point on max power, i can remember about 6 years ago i used to buy that mag, then overnight it was full of fibreglass civic's that look like bm's and fiesta vans with 20k spent but still an oil leaking 1.0 engine. I hate tack, and have an exceptionally biased opinion. still, seeing these cars in real life provides me with a great chuckle, and they may not appreciate what i'm doing.

One thing i have come to learn is that so many "aftermarket" parts are either exceptionally poor quality (m3 mirrors anyone) or drastically overpriced.

its a minefiled, and getting the right balance of this on one car is very difficult. its also rarly as easy as "bolt on".

www.335itc.co.uk
Its gonna be finished for summer!!! thats the plan!!!
Sponsored Links

Check it out! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 06:26

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Evo2 and Evo3 do NOT share any spoilers.
Evo2 had the front attachment like yours and a additional little boot lip under the M3 wing.
Evo3 was fitted with the flat front splitter directly to the standard M3 bumper with a little straigt extension and a wing extension.

Evo5 is my own description when people just slap everything evo available on the car at the same time

I repeat my questions about the struts, have you shortened them? I have converted M3 struts and was unable to get the front DOWN. What Front top mounts are you going to use?
Nice ARB's BTW. Any idea what spring rates the rear springs have?

The top mounts are adjustable up to about 2.5 degrees extra negative camber, and because im using coilover i can tilt the strut closer as the spring doesn't touch the strut housing. You say you were not able to get the front down? were they height adjustable? i can adjust these down so that the tyre is within 8mm of the bottom of the arch, and this is without the engine in. It all depends on where you weld your base platform really. unless you encountered the top of the strut hitting the top mount!? or the damper was bottoming out?

www.335itc.co.uk
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 06:49
I guess your top mounts are solid? This will give you 50mm less height to start with. I wanted to keep the rubber mounts and couldn't get the car back to the ride height it was sitting on the non height adjustable springs.
You can't just weld the bottom platform lower and lower,
there is a limit to it.
A) the platform will not clear the tyre (unless silly ET's are used)
B) you will run out of shock travel.
I agree that things will get complicated when you shorten the strut (--> what inserts???)
Maybe we meet up somewhere in the future and I can have a closer look to your conversion. (Gaydon??)
here a pic:

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 07:03

thats a nice conversion. I don't have an issue with the tyre coming into contact with the strut, as the calipers need 60mm spare to the inside of the wheel (hence the whole m3 kit anyway).

I got my platform height by jacking the car to the right height checking travel etc, and then making the bottom 20% of the thread below the platform height. difficult to explain, but it gives me 80% of the thread above minimum ride height allowing for a heavy engine etc.

no problem with meeting up, but she's gonna be quite a few months yet, as soon as it is ill be attending every meet and event possible making up for the lack of previously!

on your setup the top cup comes down to the spring as well, whereas my cup takes the spring into it, so again i think that puts the front lower down. and the top mount as you say, lowers the suspension even further. this is why my weld height is totally different compared to the other coilover strut i have.

I hear you can get the struts bent to add another 1.5 degrees negative camber but then you are starting to affect wear and braking.

www.335itc.co.uk
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 07:07

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

I guess your top mounts are solid? This will give you 50mm less height to start with. I wanted to keep the rubber mounts and couldn't get the car back to the ride height it was sitting on the non height adjustable springs.
You can't just weld the bottom platform lower and lower,
there is a limit to it.
A) the platform will not clear the tyre (unless silly ET's are used)
B) you will run out of shock travel.
I agree that things will get complicated when you shorten the strut (--> what inserts???)
Maybe we meet up somewhere in the future and I can have a closer look to your conversion. (Gaydon??)
here a pic:

just had a thought, this may be the one time not having an m3 benefits. i bet the m3 hub has a larger offset built into it, effectivley making the strut closer to the wheel for the same track width of the car. i.e. 325 narow track, but mine has been spaced out to m3. thus leaving the actual strut in the original "narrow" 325 configuration, and putting the wheel further away.

www.335itc.co.uk
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 07:49
Originally posted by Check it out! Check it out! wrote:

just had a thought, this may be the one time not having an m3 benefits. i bet the m3 hub has a larger offset built into it, effectivley making the strut closer to the wheel for the same track width of the car. i.e. 325 narow track, but mine has been spaced out to m3. thus leaving the actual strut in the original "narrow" 325 configuration, and putting the wheel further away.

possible!
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 08:26
Some intresting things going on here.

Uwe, this would make a difference to the threaded section of the strut
housing... no ARB link on the strut to get in the way

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 08:45
The ARB link ist not a problem. You can't wind it down that far anyway, the strut will bottom out.
I think it would be a good time for a local mini meet to have a real think tank for all the stuff we try to achive.
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 09:15
Funny, i was looking at your struts earlier, and i noticed they looked alot leaner, but had the arb on them. so does this mean that peope with m3 suspension have an issue with their coilovers, because it clearly isnt an issue with 325 parts. wouldn't it be possible to resolve the issue by using 325 struts with m3 hubs?
www.335itc.co.uk
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 10:36
Actually some of the coil over kits for the M3 require to mount the ARB like 325. But this is a bad thing as it reduces the roll bar rate (325 has got a bigger ARB's to compensate for that)
You can't use 325 struts on the M3 and vice versa, the M3 strut can be taken off the wishbone without seperating the ball joint. Just four screws at the bottom and it's off.
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 10:43

Ok, so i take it the control arms are the same though, as you always hear of people looking for the aluminium type if possible.

Yes, the bars on the front i have shown in the picture have about a 6mm wall thickness. They are ridiculously stiff, i cannot make them twist or deform in any way.

www.335itc.co.uk
Floody View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2006 at 16:08
Just got on to this thread, what can you say.Craig good look with your project
Mark E30 M3 RHD!!! now sold !!! still crying!!!!
E36 318 is in technoviolet, for sale
Thank's for the photo Coasting, Flood's on tour!
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 04:18
thanks floody. I went about 20 miles to Maccess last night to get the final primer before spraying this saturday and found tuesday is the only evening the place closes early!!!! ggrr! not good, trying again tonight!
www.335itc.co.uk
325i Ron View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 07:29

Craig

I see you are in the Bristol/ Glos area will the car be finished by May 7th we have a Show & Shine at Hestercombe Gardens Nr Taunton would love to see the car. No its not an M3 but at least its all BMW and its all you own work well done.

Ron Parish
(E30 Register Chairman)
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 07:39

HI ron,

well, its looking firm for a respray this weekend,

Leathers are taking ages, but should be done by then and fitting them is no issue.

I basically expect the car to be nearing "visual" completion by then, but i doubt the engine will be in. I get home latish on most evenings, and only have the weekends to work on it of which sunday is useless after 2 due to family arrangements etc.

Im getting there as fast as possilble, and will be very very dissaponted if i miss much of this summer.

Are you hinting at showing the car, not sure if it would be worth trailering it there with no engine?

The car isn't going to be a show car, as in its finish, its finished to a very good standard, but as you probably know the finishing was done by me (unqualified!), so close examination will reveal this.

Let me know if you have anything in mind.

www.335itc.co.uk
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 07:42

floody, just wondering, what and where can i get the spotlights? i don't have these, one of the few things im missing and having trouble sourcing.

www.335itc.co.uk
andyclient View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2006 at 18:20

Impressive job Craig , lots of interesting points raised .

Look forward to seeing the finished car !

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
93 E36 325 TD Gone but still going
87 E30 Hartge 325 (gone but not forgotten)
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 04:26

Hopefully have it primered tonight ready for the weekend spray. Not sure if the bumpers will get in on that but i'll try. Think i may be out of plastic primer!

www.335itc.co.uk
Floody View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 15:40

Some of the lad's may have a set going, as a lot take them out to put air intakes in for the front brakes.

If not you will need the light's, frame's and bracket's, the wireing should be insitue so I recon if you want to do it you will be looking at £70 to £90 all done.

You can still get all the part's, if you want the part nos. give me a shout

Mark E30 M3 RHD!!! now sold !!! still crying!!!!
E36 318 is in technoviolet, for sale
Thank's for the photo Coasting, Flood's on tour!
Simon325i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 15:44

GSF and ECP sell the lights, much cheaper than the dealers, but they only come as the basic light unit, you will need the frame, and the bracket (which is M3 unique) which are all available from the dealers.
The rest is the same as any other pre-facelift E30.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic