FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWARNING! Unmarked Subaru on M23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 15:43
Originally posted by whitey whitey wrote:

Point 1. Exactly right. We are worried about being caught but unmarked Impreza's is not playing cricket old boy.

Unmarked cars are used for a variety of purposes, not just speed enforcement. It's cricket all right, there is nothing illegal about it, I support it & I can't see it changing. I suggest you get used to & be wary if you intend commit offences, because they may be there.

Point 2. get more marked cars out there with the tax payers money and you'll get less speeding and less deaths on your stats. Unmarked cars generate income and DO NOT save lives........end of!

The numbers of unmarked traffic cars are very small compared to marked. The Police get no income from speeding fines issued from unmarked cars. I say again this thread title & warning shows the purpose of unmarked cars. Even when there are no marked Police cars visible on the M23 there will be the nagging doubt that there may be an unmarked one there. That serves as a useful detterent. If your not speeding no tciket can be issued for it, no fine can be given. Your choice.

Point 3. Can you honestly say you've NEVER broken the law by speeding? And of course what my tax is used for will always be of consequence to me.

Call me a cynical old git (I'm a 42 Year old Manager for the main Comms supplier in the UK thats been driving for 24 years and covers in excess of 25k a year) but just like the camera argument, this is all about generating income. When they started hiding cameras behind trees, signs etc. my respect for the police plumetted. It was all about revenue. Thats now (thank the lord) had a stop put to it. So should the use of unmarked high performance cars used for speeding offences. It's underhand and the money spent on these cars should be used to raise the profile of the Police by putting them in marked cars.

I've never said I'm perfect. What I say is that if I (or anyone else) commit an offence then I (or anyone else) shouldn't be surprised, or bleat it's not fair, if prosecuted for it.

Of course it's not just your tax, mine also & for my money both cameras & unmarked cars have a place in road policing.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
Sponsored Links

m3tiko View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 15:49
I commonly see a stretch of a motorway used by the plods just to open their cars up. Their depot is a stones throw away from the motorway...and what surprised me when keeping a watchful eye from a distance was the speed they amounted. And guess where they were heading? yup to the depot!!!!! This wasn't a one off...sometimes lights on, sometimes not.

Scandulous !!!!! Pi$$take !!!

335d evolve 354bhp/742nm....M3 SEE YA!!

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 15:50
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Quote In some cases the documentation about what happened to the officers disappeared completely and outcomes in a further eight cases, in the three force areas, are still "pending".

This makes us FEAR that the police are not bound by the same rules as us. This THREATENS our faith in the police.

I suppose that case files aren't misplaced in any prosecutions of the public. Of course they are.

That in itself is not evidence of anything underhand.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 15:54
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

I suppose that case files aren't misplaced in any prosecutions of the public. Of course they are.

That in itself is not evidence of anything underhand.

Of course it isn't livvy.

I'm sure out of 300 civilian cases several files get lost every day. In fact, I heard about something like that happening once.

Oh no, I didn't.
Ciao,
Spokey

dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 15:59
 Out of Bedfordshire's 2,500 officers who triggered speed cameras - the force has the second highest rate of speeding offences per officer - just 46 faced action.

The Metropolitan Police recorded the highest number of offences - 25,486 - but only 16 officers were convicted.

not just a few case files missing livvy!!

e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 16:17
Originally posted by dutch dutch wrote:

Out of Bedfordshire's 2,500 officers who triggered speed cameras - the force has the second highest rate of speeding offences per officer - just 46 faced action.

The Metropolitan Police recorded the highest number of offences - 25,486 - but only 16 officers were convicted.

not just a few case files missing livvy!!

That's not missing files & Spokey the 300 isn't missing files either.

They are the NIPs sent out.
From all those NIPs where there is an audit trail that supports the use of an exemption as correct no further action is taken.

All the figures show is
Yes Police set off cameras.
Yes they are sent NIPs.
In the vast majority of those their use of speed was deemed legal.
In a very small number it was not & consequently that small number are prosecuted.

I'm heartened by the statistics.
Out of 25,486 camera activations only 16 were found to have not be lawfully using an exemption & in those cases they were prosecuted.
It doesn't mean 25,470 were just binned for no reason.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 16:28

Essex police took the unprecedented step of holding a special court for 150 motorists who have all been caught speeding at more than 100mph on the same four lane stretch of the A130 Rettendon by-pass in recent weeks.

its a shame joe public does'nt get the same heart warming feeling when you read things like this.

In the first 40 cases magistrate Sheena Collins imposed driving bans of up to 49 days and fines of up to £700 on the procession of motorists who appeared before her.

Manchester Police's traffic chief will keep his job after being caught speeding at 104 mph.
Mr Thomas appeared before North Staffordshire magistrates yesterday. He received six penalty points and was fined £450.

nice to see consistency in the old boys club then!

e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 16:42

Essex police took the unprecedented step of holding a special court for 150 motorists who have all been caught speeding at more than 100mph on the same four lane stretch of the A130 Rettendon by-pass in recent weeks.

its a shame joe public does'nt get the same heart warming feeling when you read things like this.

In the first 40 cases magistrate Sheena Collins imposed driving bans of up to 49 days and fines of up to £700 on the procession of motorists who appeared before her.

Manchester Police's traffic chief will keep his job after being caught speeding at 104 mph.
Mr Thomas appeared before North Staffordshire magistrates yesterday. He received six penalty points and was fined £450.

nice to see consistency in the old boys club then!

Come come dutch

I know of plenty of members of the public who have recieved 6 points for speeds in excess of 100mph, that is by no means a unique sentence.

The thing in your post is that all the other offences were being dealt with in Essex, whilst the Police officer you talk about was in North Staffs. I'm afraid that sentence variations various enormously in different regions of the country. It is in some ways a bit like roulette in that some counties take a much harder line on speeding than others, as I'm sure some magistrates do within those counties.
After all collison & death rates vary from county to county & naturally some will subsequently take a harder line.

As such while you try to grab a headline with your post it doesn't amount to such. Now if the Police officer had followed ten people into the same court, infront of the same magistrate, for the same speed, on the same day, then yes I'd agree with you.

You for instance have no details about whether those people had a clean licence or not. Whether the Police officer did or not. This will have a bearing on sentencing after all.

In my experience with a clean licence & 104mph on a motorway (without any other adverse conditions) you are unlikely to get banned in most cases.

You also said that the Essex court was set up especially for these offences. They undoubetdly were making an example of people & not every court would be following that.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 16:45

In my experience with a clean licence & 104mph on a motorway (without any other adverse conditions) you are unlikely to get banned in most cases.

depending on where you live and your profession,!!

e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 16:48

depending on where you live and your profession,!!

As I say the profession doesn't come into that & it's not where you live but where you were caught.
Just look through court results & you will see that many many cases of NON Police defendants are NOT banned for 104mph on motorway where they previously hold a clean licence.

(Rather than trying to sensationalise totally unrelated events.)

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
dutch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 16:54

Guidelines state anyone doing over 100mph should be disqualified for a period unless there are exceptional circumstances.

being late for a meeting is not exceptional !

e39,1200 bandit
cooper S, Z3 topazbleu
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 17:06
Don't you think the Police should set an example to everyone. At one point people looked up to the bobby on the beat.

If a policeman breaks the law that they are supposed to uphold, they should be given the maximum sentence that crime carries. more so with higher ranking officers.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 17:11

Guidelines state anyone doing over 100mph should be disqualified for a period unless there are exceptional circumstances.

being late for a meeting is not exceptional !

Bans for that are not mandatory, they are discretionary.

I'm not defending him & what he did.

I'm merely pointing out that in my experience large numbers of people are not banned for 100mph on a motorway, irrespective of their profession or why they were doing it.

It is your veiled assertion that he was singled out for special treatment because of his profession that I am questioning as not valid, because as I say I've seen many others not banned either for exactly the same thing.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 17:12
Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Don't you think the Police should set an example to everyone. At one point people looked up to the bobby on the beat.

If a policeman breaks the law that they are supposed to uphold, they should be given the maximum sentence that crime carries. more so with higher ranking officers.

I agree it's a very poor example being set. Particularly as he was the head of GMP Road Policing I believe.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 17:18

I didn't say there were 300 missing files. I said that I have never heard of a SINGLE case file going missing out of 300 civilian cases. I have never heard of a single civilian case file going missing at all. But here we have 300 police cases, and several of the case files are missing.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in civilian cases, but the police seem to be exceptionally careless with their own cases.

Since the police are meant to uphold and represent the law, the standards applied to them and their cases should be visibly higher than those applied to the rest of us.

Otherwise you find a bunch of cynical people suspecting them of covering up for each other.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 17:23

I didn't say there were 300 missing files. I said that I have never heard of a SINGLE case file going missing out of 300 civilian cases. I have never heard of a single civilian case file going missing at all. But here we have 300 police cases, and several of the case files are missing.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in civilian cases, but the police seem to be exceptionally careless with their own cases.

Since the police are meant to uphold and represent the law, the standards applied to them and their cases should be visibly higher than those applied to the rest of us.

Otherwise you find a bunch of cynical people suspecting them of covering up for each other.

They go missing alright, from all walks of life.
Just like files go miising at insurance companies or anywhere else.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 17:32
That doesn't alter the fact that the police should adhere to higher standards where their own behaviour is concerned. 
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 17:37

That doesn't alter the fact that the police should adhere to higher standards where their own behaviour is concerned. 

I don't disagree that it shouldn't happen.
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 17:40

I don't disagree that it shouldn't happen.

You agree that it shouldn't happen? Or something else?
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2006 at 17:42
I agree that files on Police officer's cases shouldn't go missing especially. Ideally of course no case files should go missing at all, no matter who they are on.
Mine & mine alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic