Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2006 at 18:25

Originally posted by Mr London Mr London wrote:

Hi all

Slightly confused.  Am I reading this right that the car in question has been cut back / polished to provide the truly stunning finish - and not repainted??!?!

Regards

The car was re-painted nearly a year ago (March). I finally got the car back in August, went to the SW meet in Wales where the car was stunning. From then on, it went down hill. I polished and polished the car, and put alot of swirl marks in the paintwork. The more I polished, the worse it got.

Car was taken back to the bodyshop a couple of months ago. They said there was a problem with the top coat, and put me in contact with the paint manufacturer, who at the end of the day would probably have repainted the car, The b/shop buffed and polished the car and it returned like new again, untill 2 days later when I saw the car in direct sunlight and it looked awfull. I never touched the car from the its return from the b/shop and got very, very depressed to say the least.

On the verge of calling the paint manufacturer and have them strip, repaint and refit the car again (depressing prospect) and wondering if I should cut my losses and sell up, I spoke to John after reading some of his posts about detailling. The rest is history, and the pics speak for themselves. Whatever I seemed to do to the paint to sort the scratches, etc, just seemed to make things alot worse. Johns Microfibre cloths never marked the paint atal, no matter how hard you pressed on them.

The rest, John has explained. I would have really liked John to have spent even more time on the car, and take it to another level, as he says he could. His Evo2 is still in another league, and just shows what can be done with alot of hard work and persistance.

Another thing with the "waxes" being talked about on here, I found that dust sticks to it, whereas the dust which has settled on my car since John did his stuff, can be blown off with ease (breath) Now thats good.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Sponsored Links

alexm3uk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 05:00

group buy im very interested and what zanio products should i use on a white m3 to get the best finish after i have clayed it  z-2pro or z-3

alexm3uk

kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 15:09
I am also intested in a group buy, please let me know if one is organised.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
Nostrils View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 15:42
Amazing stuff, I read the article/write-up you did on E30Zone Jon. I have sent this thread link to my brother who has just purchased a new car in Black and is worried about his paintwork already!

I told him about chamois and sponges but wanted more info. He is a gadget man DIY tools, so another tool for the car will be right down his street (and I can use it to0!! )

Patience is a virtue apparently and it appears you have plenty, fantastic job.
Phil
Richard von Bat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 15:46

That is a really extraordinary finish. Imagine turning up to view this 16year old car as a purchase!

The car detailing arena is perplexing to me and raises as many questions for which I can find no answers - a bit like the pros and cons of semi synthetic engine oil verses synthetic...........!!!!

What dissapoints me with the polishing mularky is how little time the wax lasts verses the effort required to apply. To completely Zymol my M3 (not a large car) thats wash, clay, cleanse and wax is a full and hard days graft and does not include the shuts/engine bay!

With a weekly wash it will need a rewax in shall we say 6 weeks?, you can tell its fading by the little black tar bits that you notice no longer wash off like after the first wash (following a wax).

However back to the Zaino products I havent absorbed it all (so apologies for possible incorrections) but I think I noticed 'abrasive' - surely not good for cars without new paint? and 'synthetic' wax which I understand is a car painters nightmare as the silicone penetrates the paint right through to the metal and makes it very difficult to apply new paint (should it become necessary).

I would love to hear John Drakes (Zymol) opinion on what has been done to at least help those like me who flounder against the tide of options. I'll send him an email and ask if he would care to comment.... 

richard
billgates e30 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 16:12
although zaino is synthetic, it contains no silicone or silicone based chemiclas

and it is non-abrasive other than one swirl mark remover...the rest of the range is tottaly non abrasive

just by chance, what are you using to wash your car with...is it a specific shampoo or just washing up liquid as fairy/presil etc is very harsh/aggresive and will strip wax/polish from the paitn very quickly there for reducing the life of the protection rapidly...

sorry if you already know this but its just a thought
Bill Gates aka Chris

BMW Club NE
c76jon View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 16:19
Originally posted by Richard von Bat Richard von Bat wrote:

That is a really extraordinary finish. Imagine turning up to view this 16year old car as a purchase!

The car detailing arena is perplexing to me and raises as many questions for which I can find no answers - a bit like the pros and cons of semi synthetic engine oil verses synthetic...........!!!!

What dissapoints me with the polishing mularky is how little time the wax lasts verses the effort required to apply. To completely Zymol my M3 (not a large car) thats wash, clay, cleanse and wax is a full and hard days graft and does not include the shuts/engine bay!

With a weekly wash it will need a rewax in shall we say 6 weeks?, you can tell its fading by the little black tar bits that you notice no longer wash off like after the first wash (following a wax).

However back to the Zaino products I havent absorbed it all (so apologies for possible incorrections) but I think I noticed 'abrasive' - surely not good for cars without new paint? and 'synthetic' wax which I understand is a car painters nightmare as the silicone penetrates the paint right through to the metal and makes it very difficult to apply new paint (should it become necessary).

I would love to hear John Drakes (Zymol) opinion on what has been done to at least help those like me who flounder against the tide of options. I'll send him an email and ask if he would care to comment.... 

you raise some good points

to which some have been answered in the thread as a whole

firstly you are quite correct in saying zymol deteriorates quite quickly imho i would say that 6 weeks is very generous

i have seen WAXES lose their impact in 36 hours.iam not implying that is the case with zymol.zymol is a quality product without a doubt but the nature of wax is that it is not resiliant to the elements which will explain why your wax needs rapplying so frequently

carnuba wax is loved by many many car enthusiasts and many of these will wax their car weekly and therefore the loss of impact in 6 weeks like you say is not an issue

you then go on to talk about abrasives not being good to car finishes

i have stated earlier in th thread that zaino only make1 abrasive product which is zpc

this has only been available for a short time

zaino is primarily a sealant system that is applied to a surface that has been prepped to the owners level of finish

zaino relaesed zpc after a long time developing it as they felt they had a product that was far better than 99 percent of the swirl mark removers that were on the market and were being used before application of their other products

i use zpc.its very very good.if it wasnt i would continue to use 3M smr which is also very good and probably was the best until zpc came along.i still use 3M smr and always will because i have a lot of experience with it and i know what it will do and what it wont

abrasives on paint are nothing to be scared of i can assure you.

your car paint has a great deal of abrasives on it before it was delivered to the dealer and even more after by the 17 year old "valeter" who helped with the pdi!!

the abrasives iam talking about are incredibly fine.

no one would flinch at using a spot of t cut or some autoglym restoring polish or even zymol HD cleanse

barring the zymol the t cut and the autoglym are 20 times more abrasive than anything i would put on mine or anybody elses car

the word abrasive conjours up the image of massive amounts of paint being gouged off to eventually getting to a new layer of paint under the old tatty one almost like a snake shedding its skin

this is not the case at all.the fineness of the top abrasives i use and the speed with lack of heat build up the porter cable creates thru the way it operates along with the correct grade and high quality of the finishing pad used means that the edges of the swirl marks are very very gradually worked down until there is no longer a mark because the laquer/paint is now level

swirls/marring are simply very very light marks in the finish

another point you make is that you are worried about the synthetic qualities of zaino creating non paintable panels

i agree with you about silicone.i hate the stuff .its adetailers nightmare .you are assuming synthetic means it automatically consists of or contains silicone.it does not. the two do not mean the same.

zaino contains zero silicone in any of its products

they are very very largely water based

john

coates View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 17:15

stunning results-but whats wrong with a £6 bottle of turtlewax and an oily rag?

E30 M3 1990.
GSXR 750(K1)TRACK WEAPON.
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 18:56
Originally posted by coates coates wrote:

The sunlight will show you whats wrong with that, Mine looked great out of the sun, but horrific in the sun. Now it looks great in both. Try it! BTW, your's does look great in the pic

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 18:57

Are you saying you would walk away from such a car?

Edited by SHEPSM3
billgates e30 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 18:59
Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

BTW, your's does look great in the pic

it looks good in the flesh too
Bill Gates aka Chris

BMW Club NE
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 19:04

Originally posted by billgates e30 billgates e30 wrote:

BTW, your's does look great in the pic

it looks good in the flesh too

GREAT!

bmwcrazy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
1995 M5,1995 318ISE,1997 325

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2006 at 21:08
car looks great first class job best one i"ve seen

dazz
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2006 at 06:13
How's about all that NANO stuff? (or Lotus Effect?)
I have seen this a lot in Germany for HUGE money.

hope this vid works

Go to the page and click the little VIDEO STARTEN icon

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2006 at 06:52
Are we talking about these guys?

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I tried to order from them about 2 years ago and they
wouldn't ship outside the US, do they have a
European outlet now ?

Just seen this

http://www.advancedcarproducts.com

Looking at the prices as compared to the US site,
another case of rip off Britain!

Edited by 215DMX
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2006 at 06:58
The car and finish looks fantastic.
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2006 at 07:04
i didn't say that did I, yes the finish is top notch
concours quality.

I first tried some of the Zaino over 2 years ago when
a friend had some he brought back from the states, it
is fantastic stuff. Just a shame we have to pay so
much for it compared to buying it in the US.

coates View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2006 at 07:30

Originally posted by coates coates wrote:

The sunlight will show you whats wrong with that, Mine looked great out of the sun, but horrific in the sun. Now it looks great in both. Try it! BTW, your's does look great in the pic

i would consider using zaino products and have been looking on the advancecarproducts site, if i bought the z2 pro polish would i also have the buy the  ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive(as it recommends) considering my paint is in good condition?

Edited by coates
E30 M3 1990.
GSXR 750(K1)TRACK WEAPON.
Rags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2006 at 09:42

No,. I think he just means that any buyer would be gobsmacked and think that they were buying a brand new car!

andyclient View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2006 at 12:33
Originally posted by Rags Rags wrote:

No,. I think he just means that any buyer would be gobsmacked and think that they were buying a brand new car!

Yep that is how I read it to , as a well deserved compliment .

Outstanding finish Well done

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
93 E36 325 TD Gone but still going
87 E30 Hartge 325 (gone but not forgotten)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic