FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedShock horror, E36 M3 3.2 rubbish on track

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shock horror, E36 M3 3.2 rubbish on track
    Posted: 10-May-2005 at 03:53

Ok so I bought the saloon maybe the coupe is slightly better, but did a track evening last week at Snetterton and observed the following:

No turn in whatsoever.  Massive understeer on all but the fastest turns.  Result pitiful cornerspeed.

Brakes (new black diamond pads and discs all round, new fluid) faded to foot to the floor uselessness after three laps.  Result impossible to catch anything on the brakes, meaning increased cornerspeed necessary.  Er...

Any ideas?  Have I bought an overweight hairdresser's car in the mistaken belief that a bit of development was done on the racetrack?

Andy

Sponsored Links

David321 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 04:12

Mmmm, interesting.

I took mine to Rockingham last week. I fitted OMP Road & Sport pads and didn't have any brake fade at all (20 minute sessions). Top speed achieved was only 110mph or so, but some big stops into hairpins were handled fine.

Turn in. For what is a heavy car I was impressed, especially in the wet. My front tyres were pretty worn before I got there, and the understeer was definitely increase towards the end of a run - nothing horrendous though.

When I went on an airfield training day I was getting a lot of understeer. Using the wheel less aggresively made a huge difference, we also learned a trail-braking technique that really gets the beast turned in.

E36 M3 Evo - Techno Violet
Previous & current rides...
mmm-five View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 04:35

"A bad workman always blames his tools"

Seriously though, any car is capable on track (even a Trabant), and it's up to the driver to drive it correctly. If you're braking to heavily, too late, too early then you brakes will suffer.

If your turning in while braking you may induce understeer which snaps to oversteer.

A couple of lessons and you'll find yourself getting around the track faster, more easily and with less stress on the car.

BTW I've got a 2 tonne e34 M5 on which everything (except braided brakelines) is standard and it performs quite well, so I can't see an 'lightweight' E36 M3 doing to badly.

Standard discs should be fine, just upgrade the fluid to DOT 5.1, get some Goodridge braided brakelines, and some Ferodo DS2500 pads. However, even with these 'upgrades' you will get brake fade if you drive like a muppet. Get your braking done early, at high speed, in a straight line, and lift off the brakes to balance the car before turning in. If you need to you can then feather the brakes to come off gradually to control your entry speed more acurately.

__Andy__ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 04:46

Useful stuff thanks.

Of course I'm not Sterling Moss, but I have thousands of competitive track miles under my belt on two wheels, and I know rubbish brakes when I use them.  My supermono, hell even my old RD350YPVS would stand on its front wheel every corner for dozens of laps without the slightest hint of fade.

The turn in seemed wrong too, I honed my technique during the course of the evening and was able to improve stuff through responding to the needs of the car, but the it basically felt like an overweight barge.  I defy anyone to drive that car and get the neutrality these supposed perfectly balanced cars are supposed to have.

Next time I'll reduce my front tyre pressures -- some advice I got from a proper racing driver, who accompanied me for a few laps and agreed about the problems.

Andy 

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 05:10
No disrespect about your driving ability
I am an ex-bike racer as well and I can tell you if your drive your car like your RD, it won't work.
I agree with all the problems you experienced and do believe that most of the BMW are not that great on track in standard trim. But like mentioned from other posters already, you need to adapt your driving style to suite the cars abilities. It is a front heavy car with loads of understeer this can't be changed ( ok to a degree it can, but let's assume everything stays as is) so you have to life with it and make the most of it. If you treat it like a bike with hard and short braking and "throwing" it in the bends it will not like if for long. Bike lines and car lines are slightly different
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
David321 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 05:21

Andy, do you think the front wheel alignment is out maybe?

Still doesn't explain the chronic brake fade though, is the fluid nearing the end of its useful life?

E36 M3 Evo - Techno Violet
Previous & current rides...
__Andy__ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 05:44

I've not checked any geometry, but definitely will before I take to the track again.  The fluid was changed last month (supposedly :)).  I reckon braided hoses would solve the fade, especially if I put in a silicone fluid.

Having moaned about the car, I passed a Capri who was defining understeer.  I could hardly believe the amount of lock he had on through coram curve :)

Fully accept cars are different to bikes and experience will see me going quicker, but still very disappointed that it wasn't better out of the crate.

Are the E46 M3s any better?  What about E39 M5s?  They're mighty cheap now and the 'ring taxi driver can't be wrong :)

Andy

brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 05:57

Andy, I know how you feel,

I have a background in bikes and made the move over to another "fast" car a couple of years ago and got the biggest bang for my ££ I could afford.

An Imprezza turbo, what a let down, awful brakes, loads of under steer, poor direction change at speed, wallowy, all could be put right to a degree, but at what cost?

I couldn’t believe what I was driving after all the hype id heard and read about them…I guess if you had come from a hot hatch or similar you’d be impressed

Ive never driven a road going “sports” car that had what I would call decent brakes from the factory, so I think your observations are correct from my experiences.

Even the E46 M3 CSL gets stick over its brakes and theres one lad on the BWMCC forum who seems to change his E39 M5 brakes every other week

Most “sports” production cars have failings in one or more of these areas’s as they come out of the factory.

Maybe worth investing in some aftermarket gear or braided lines/fluid change as a minimum…

I couldn’t get over the disappointment ,so settled for a “normal” car and went back to my bikes, the real deal , as they come out of the factory with very little of the compromises that a production car has

A state of the art engine/chassis/suspension/brake/tyres and up to constant abuse with no need to start throwing ££££££’s at them for fast road/track work.

Edited by brybusa
Tim_M3 View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 06:11
I think if the weather hadn't gone to pot and we had hung around longer, and did some experimenting with your tyre pressures, it would have helped quite a bit with the understeer.  A smidge of toe-out wouldn't have gone amiss either.

To be fair from the p-seat and whilst I was following behind it didn't feel or look horrendous, although it was fun changing up a gear at the point you were having to concende to the brakes. :p

Basically, if you want to buy a road car and go fast on the track for any length of time without having to spend a fortune on it first.... buy a Porsche.
lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 06:36
I am afraid you are discovering all the things that I, and many others have banged on about for ages. The vast majority of newish cars are sh*t on track. Forget the fact that they have an "M", "Sport" or "CSL" badge or whatever, most of them are tarty overweight bling wagons. Tim is right, there are very few cars that are really spot on out of the factory for serious track work, Porsche's (not all) are very good. Ferrari's are mostly useless, Lotus have got the right idea, all the 4 wheel drive things require a shed of money spent on them to overcome all the compromises. Caterfields and the like are very good (and would be closer to a bike in terms of dynamics).
shoestring7 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 06:50

I agree, the lightweight sports cars like Caterhams and Elises are easy on tyres and brakes and can pretty much be driven on track all day long with no ill-effects. Most conventional road car nowadays are pretty heavy and can be hard on both - perhaps Porsches are an exception.

On the other hand they don't really stack up on the road, especially if you need usable rear seats, a boot, a roof, aircon etc...

SS7

'89 E30 M3 (now sold)
'93 968CS
'00 520iT
'02 Alloy Audi
__Andy__ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 07:11

I was commenting to the missus last week after hurling it through some roundabouts/corners/straight bits near my place, it's amazing how such a competent road car could disappoint so much on the track.

Like this morning 0430 start Norwich->Sunbury ~140miles by 0615.  In total comfort, 26mpg, arrive refreshed.

Try that in the Caterfield.

Andy

brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 07:19

Well, at least this post seems to agree that just because it has an "M" badge on the boot it doesnt have any performance failings, a refreshing change

Yep, agreed, caterhams and the like would be much more like a true track day weapon.

I saw a Radical on the road for the first time last Sunday, now that did look a mean piece of kit...

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 07:21
Stay away from Silicone brake fluid. Use DOT4 or DOT5.1
ATE Super BLUE is good value for money and if you got £50+ burning a hole in your pocket get Castrol SRF (which I think is the overkill)
Steel braided hoses will do NOTHING for brake fade. You need the right pads in the right temp range you want them to work. No point buying high temp brake pads and you cool them down with massive brake ducts

I fully agree with the bike comment from above. You can take them more or less out of the showroom fit some super sticky tyres and have load of fun!
Cars are much more designed with compromises
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 07:26

I too find it hard to believe how the E36 M3 can be so good in day to day driving yet fails admirably on track. I experienced hurrendous brake fade on track but realise that it was as much my fault as the cars, leaving braking far to late and putting the pedal through the floor to slow it down does not work.

As i can't afford another car i intend to concentrate on sharpening up my 3.0, after all it is ten years old and could do with an overhaul in all the essential areas.

brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 07:40

I know the e36 M3 has much more power, however, everything ive ever read on the e30 M3 says what an awesome track day car they are...Which seems logical as the e30 was built to win races and the E36 was a "just" a performance road car, right?

How much better is the E30 over the E36 on the track?

BM Fan View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 07:49
I had brake fade on the last track day, Blue Mintex Fluid, but standard lines and pads. New pads and braided hoses on order for the next outing.

As for understeer, noticed it on one or two corners especially on Double apexs but that may have been due to trying to put down too much power mid corner.

Otherwise I found the balance good and very easy to control, once on the right line it was easy to maintain good speed through the corners and get a decent exit. 
Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

__Andy__ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 07:59

I don't think my brake problem arose from them running too cold judging from the putrid stench of brakes on fire every time I came in :)

If those rubber pipes are past their best, when filled with 200 degree brake fluid they will swell and take up my pedal travel rather than put the pads onto the disk, I am certain braided hoses would solve the long pedal I was getting. 

If the pedal was firm but I was having to lift myself off the seat standing on it to slow down, then I'd accept a pad/disk problem.

I might consider getting braided pipes, or alternatively take your suggestions -- brake like a pussy from hundreds of meters away just to maintain an equilibrium, then spend a bit of effort sorting out the understeer with tyre pressures.

Andy

lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 09:18
Originally posted by brybusa brybusa wrote:

I know the e36 M3 has much more power, however, everything ive ever read on the e30 M3 says what an awesome track day car they are...Which seems logical as the e30 was built to win races and the E36 was a "just" a performance road car, right?

This has been discussed many times before and normally is a fairly emotive subject. The purists love the E30 (like me.. ) However, in stock form it still exhibits similar characteristics to the e36, it will understeer, the brakes are ok, but won't last for ever, but in terms of balance and feel it's in a different league. The steering is sublime (BMW still haven't made a car that steers as well). The engine is less powerful than the e36, but you don't need to slow down so much for the corners, it's all about carrying speed momentum and commitment.
For a comparison why not join us at Brands on the evening of the 22nd, I would be pleased to chauffeur you around for a couple of laps, after that you can draw your own conclusions.....
brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 09:40
Originally posted by lancelotII lancelotII wrote:

Originally posted by brybusa brybusa wrote:

This has been discussed many times before and normally is a fairly emotive subject. The purists love the E30 (like me.. ) However, in stock form it still exhibits similar characteristics to the e36, it will understeer, the brakes are ok, but won't last for ever, but in terms of balance and feel it's in a different league. The steering is sublime (BMW still haven't made a car that steers as well). The engine is less powerful than the e36, but you don't need to slow down so much for the corners, it's all about carrying speed momentum and commitment.
For a comparison why not join us at Brands on the evening of the 22nd, I would be pleased to chauffeur you around for a couple of laps, after that you can draw your own conclusions.....

I can well imagine its an emotive subject!

22nd May?

Would that be just be an evening ?..If so, what time would I need to be there?

Are you on the full circuit?

Thats enough questions for now.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic