Forum LockedPlease Race Me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 07:51
Originally posted by Jonners Jonners wrote:

I have kept out of this thread so far but the steam is now blowing out of my ears

i disagree with a lot of what has been said so far

until recently my daily smoker was a fiat uno which i used for runs to the station, shops etc

evo sport, M6 and competition prepared lotus cortina all live in the garage

i am a car enthusiast
i love driving
i dont drive like an idiot
i am an experienced motorsport competitor

BUT whenever i was smoking around in the uno the behaviour of motorists in more expensive cars was unbelievable

clearly, they found my presence on the road in front of them an irritation and it was obvious from my rear view mirror that they expected me to get out of the way or just disappear completely

i think there are a few indications in this thread that SOME of you are leaning towards this attitude and it does you no credit

sorry, but a high handed attitude and flash cars go together just as easily as the chav nova stereotype

Have to agree with you, OK I did used to enjoy leaving the idiots behind but I certainly didn't do it on purpose like some drivers do. I did it cos my car was capable of doing it and I didn't have to stand on the gas pedal either, the car just used to take off quicker.

Those people who drive larger and more powerful cars and who tailgate slower cars are going to cause accidents by behaving in that way. Yes we have all sat chuntering behind a slow car and been unable to pass it for several reasons but that is no excuse to tailgate. Tailgating, like purposely roaring off at the lights is asking for trouble.

I used to get tailgated when driving my tubby Supra by other more powerful car drivers but I had the sense not to be flustered and not rise to their goading....not everyone is able to do this and thats when sometimes the adrenaline kicks in and before you know it you can be involved in a race, which invariably ends in tears or worse.

TBH I am glad in a way that I can't drive anymore, cos sometimes I see driving standards that are quite frankly attrocious. The technology of cars has come a long way over the years but the mentality of some drivers leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. Some drivers get behind the wheel of a potentially powerful vehicle and act like morons, just cos you drive a powerful car doesn't automatically mean you own the road and that you treat other motorists and road users with disrespect. To harp on an old chestnut here, its about time that all drivers were given retests every 5 years. It might stop some of the stupidity and some of the needless deaths that occur every year.
October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
Sponsored Links

Torch Str8 6 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 12:59
Originally posted by David321 David321 wrote:

sorry, but a high handed attitude and flash cars go together just as easily as the chav nova stereotype

That's very very true. BMW drivers don't enjoy the best reputation on the road!

no matter wot car u own and wot forum u frequent there will always be another manufacturer that u despise on the road be it Mondeo > Vectra to Saxo > Corsa

ive found that Scoobys will not leave me alone on the roads, they see the M badge and think oooh gotta have a go at this so they can notch it up on there wing like WW2 fighters

i dont hassle people on the roads i give them the correct 2 second gap rule, i despise speeding thru the town as i think its very dangerous and childish however i do condone it out of town where the conditions permit and as long as the driver is capable and knows the roads, i leave myself open to arguement on that one but thats my opinion

Summer Project on its way......
Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 04:40
i have no reason to despise other people on the road and can't see the relevance of the make of car

nor do i understand the way vehicles become personalised

if scoobies won't leave you alone perhaps you are inviting attention in some way

i never have this problem
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 04:54

I have to agree with Jonners on this one. Despite having a BMW I get far more trouble with the owners of big executive cars than chavs in Novas etc. It's the my cars better than your's so you need to get out of my way attitude.

On the rare occaisions that people do try to race me it's been newer cars like a Mini Cooper S, a Seat Leon Cupra R and an X5!!. But I have never been raced by a Nova/saxo/corsea etc full of chavs.

The best way to avoid people wanting to race you is to slow down when they come up behind you. They quickly get irritated at driving slowley and pass you.

There certainly does appear to be a bit of looking down on other makes of car going on here. Not just cheap bangers either, CTRs, impretzas, Audis, Seats etc. All of which are good cars. They may not be to your taste but that doesn't make them bad.

I recall Stephen Fry once said that one of the worst traits of the English is looking down on others who have less money than you. I have to say I think he has a point.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 05:11
Equally, have to agree. I don't get any interest from any other cars in either the E46 or M3. Here's a thought though, it would be interesting to do a straw poll on the comparison between those that take part in track days/Motorsport and those that don't and their relative experiences on the road (in the "race me please," stakes). I think I could hazard a guess at the results, and they won't be what many would assume......
Brett_M5 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 06:53
Just about every type of car has been mentioned in relation to racing people in this thread. Lets face it, it's the person behind the wheel and not the type of car that makes them want to race you. Everyone is different, not all cars are.
1999 E39 M5
1995 E36 M3 - Sold
dom_k View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
sideways

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 07:11
have 2 say this - a few years ago wen i had a nova i got overtaken by a z3 1.9 - he thought he was ace until i floored it and overtook him - he had a rather upset look on his face (although my nova was very fast). Now i dont bother wiv no1 - just potter around in the old m3
www.dkperformanceimports.co.uk
Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 07:22
Originally posted by Brett_M3 Brett_M3 wrote:

Just about every type of car has been mentioned in relation to racing people in this thread. Lets face it, it's the person behind the wheel and not the type of car that makes them want to race you. Everyone is different, not all cars are.

Ah, but certain types people do gravitate towards certain types of cars. Eg. broadly speaking, 2 distinct groups like (for example) the Impreza, one is a motorsport/ rally fan and the other has seen 'TOO FAST - TOO SPURIOUS' too often.

Ultimately, if a bike is coming up in your mirror, you indicate (at least) and move if you can, to let them through. If someone in a car wants to get past in as much of a hurry, do the same. Why feel like you need to go as fast or faster. If you were in that much of a hurry in the first place, they wouldn't be on your bumper. Not that I am advocating speeding, but if you've got a brain you know when and where to use appropriate speed.

Also, there's having a bit of fun down a country lane/B road with someone else and there's being a prat by risking an awful lot to show someone you're better/your car is faster/ you've bigger balls.

My tuppence worth.
Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 08:56
Lancelot - in my opinion you're absolutely right and a lot of people who've had lifts in my car have commented on me not fitting the stereotype

like you, i suspect that this is generally the case with those to whom the pleasure of driving means enough for them to have explored life beyond the mundane, banal and very tedious war on the high street

ok, not everyone can afford to explore their passion but it seems to me that unwelcome attention is avoidable and a lot of comments on here indicate that some of you guys are part of the problem whilst you deem yourselves to be part of the solution...
m3 freedom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 09:10
Hey like the GROLSCH advert says whats the hurry.I prefer people looking at my freshly waxed car as I cruise along minding my own business than risk loosing my licence racing some BANKER in a modified car which has less cc's than my lawn mower 
stephenperry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 12:57

Originally posted by lancelotII lancelotII wrote:

Equally, have to agree. I don't get any interest from any other cars in either the E46 or M3. Here's a thought though, it would be interesting to do a straw poll on the comparison between those that take part in track days/Motorsport and those that don't and their relative experiences on the road (in the "race me please," stakes). I think I could hazard a guess at the results, and they won't be what many would assume......

Track experience limited to a couple of "experience" days - formula ford and xr2i, 1st out of 14 on an jaguar e-type day (driver of the day trophy); IAM advanced driver training.

I tend to drive the same no matter what car I'm in, sometimes well, sometimes badly

Edited by stephenperry

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 13:43
Jonners, I hear what you are saying about the uno. I have my little daily car (guess which one below) and have continuous grief from other road users because I can't get away from the lights as quickly as they would like, or else they have some complex about being behind a 23 year old orange car. I have had intensely satisfying moments as well though. I do like to treat the car with care, but on the odd occasion I will hold the gears a bit to, erm, clear out the cylinders. One such occasion happened to correspond to a mk2 golf GTi full of chavs pulling up at the lights. He started revving the engine and staring at me indicating he wanted a race - I looked at him, smiled as the lights went green and held the little 1256 in every gear to 5500 rpm, she was singing her heart out. At the next set of lights, when he had caught up with me his face told a much different story. Ah, humiliation.

However, I must stress that the above is very much a one off. I would never try to race anyone no matter what the circumstances or what I was driving. I just let them wheelspin their way to the next accident or the next kwik-fit, whichever is closer.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
MCC1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2005 at 13:44

I haven't raced anybody when in my car for a while but I used to years ago with friends/locals in a big wide open A road that we all know well that has no concealed junctions etc - this is relatively safe and fun way of finding out who car is quickest. When I used to have bikes I always raced cars [911, 360's, Subs etc] the whole time - or rather just blew them totally off ;) That was fun I have to admit & it's easy on a bike as you can just white line it. I dunno what the definition or racing is on this thread, i.e., is it on big A roads or twist B roads? Racing on twisty B roads would be extremely dangerous and its all about who knows the road best & you'd risk going into the hedge or getting rearended by the following nutter.

steveoz32 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 13:33

Hi Guys,

I have read the first two and a bit pages and skipped over the rest so sorry if I missed something there.

The fastest I have travelled on a road, not saying what type or where was 176 'indicated' in my old car. This was early hours of the morning, not a sausage in site on a clear straight road. I think I was 'stupid' for doing so, and will never believe otherwise.

It was odd, since that day, I felt almost a guilty sensation about the speed I was travelling, even though I hadn't had any consequences. I started to think out the consequences, and the reality of it, not the little bubble I was sat in at the time. I didn't take my car out for a drive like I used to, I used to just get in and go for a 'cruise' around. I did try three seperate occasions over three weeks that followed, each time I went out and to put my foot down a little, I got pulled by a police car (very bad timing). Since that day and after my thoughts, I don't really speed, I felt odd when I did and took the police car thing as another message.

I now drive 65-70mph all the way to work and I do a lot of miles, I will occasionaly blip the throttle toward a ton, but this is far and few between. Most dual carriageways I find myself pottering around at 35. And around town and down narrow streets I rarely go above 20-25. I don't feel the need to speed now. It's odd, since that day I almost felt I had gone as fast as I could and not the car on a road. When I found my limit, I no longer feel the need to thrash cars on the road. When I thought about how serious things could be at that speed or any high speed it put me off.

I do have a car that I take to track days (not the M) and I do have fun here, but that is a different story, I am talking about my attitude towards driving on the road now.

On the original topic, I find a lot of people, usually the hot hatch or boy racer type do try and race me. Most times I just let them tear off in their tyre smoke with their friends egging them on, and I just laugh at them and shake my head. I don't see why I should have to prove or race anything, I know what I have, I know what they have, and that's all I need. I may rarely accelerate hard to the speed limit, but thats where it stops. I had two R19 16v's try to race me today, why I will never know.

I found that some people respect M's, some just think you are a fake perhaps (there are a lot of 320's badged up and kitted out to be M's around here), and some are just stupid.

If I get someone tailgating me around town and overtaking / driving like a maniac, I make sure i just go that little bit slower just to learn them a little lesson.

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 14:08

i have no reason to despise other people on the road and can't see the relevance of the make of car

nor do i understand the way vehicles become personalised

if scoobies won't leave you alone perhaps you are inviting attention in some way

i never have this problem

other than the fact that i drive an M3 no! maybe its my ass on a plate they want

take your car up here m8 and you'd have the same problem, there are very few M3s up here in fact only 2 in this area that i can think of, its the car not the driver they are challenging (and i never bother before the next comment/assumption comes along) , they dont know me from adam

had a few experiences on track, all good fun in moderation, anyone here who thinks they are a saint should go and wipe the bs from there mouths  take this in the good humour its intended as folks

Edited by Torch Str8 6
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 05:04

There is only one point in Jonners comments that I disagree with.

That is the quote that says unwelcome attention in avoidable. Well I'm sorry but that's simply not true all the time.

There are enough morons out there to harass any driver, regardless of how calmly, responsibly and anonymously they are driving.

You can avoid a good deal of it, but not all.  I've had plenty of unwelcome attention when minding my own business.

I'd also say that the origins of this attention is split between a large section of cars - from the Nova's and Saxo's, to the mid-size marque saloons up to new 911's and even a 1 year old Ferrari 360; so I agree it's difficult to bracket the actual type of car that engages in this moronic behaviour.

However, likelihood cannot be ignored - and the fact is that particular types of cars attract other particular types of car more than another type.

Ultimately though, and as you say, of course it's down to individual drivers.

I have no problem at all with those that enjoy themselves on the public highway when conditions permit - it's those that deliberately set out to race or bait other drivers that I have the problem with.

Just take it to a track - you'll have much more fun and we'll all live a lot longer too.

Edited by Coasting

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 11:54
Coasting your comment is spot on m8
s14man View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 17:52

The way I see it, is insanity is not particular to one group of people, meaning if you drive a nova you’re are not more likely to be declared insane then some one driving a M5.

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 07:37

I'm affraid its not just down to other makes which cause hassle on the road. I was driving my Astra back from Brislinton (south Bristol) to my home in North Bristol, and was harrased by a wanna be boy racer - looked about 45yrs wearing a baseball cap driving an E36 coupe. Probably a 318is as it only had a single tailpipe. Had BK299 wheels on it too, and lowered. He was real close up behind me, as there was alot of traffic about, I pulled over, let him pass and pulled back out behind him. He seamed to slow down and drive alot more sensibly then. People like this isn't doing our (BMW) image much good either.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 07:59
Shep, didnt you know Brislington is the home of the boy-racer?
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic