Forum LockedE46 M3 vs 330Ci Sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2005 at 04:48
Originally posted by shoestring7 shoestring7 wrote:

M BLur,The next gen M3 will be a V8. And will probably still do 'only' 155mph.SS7

That's true but it's funny how they wont use the old E39 V8, which already has worldwide homologation. BMW are continuing to make money out of that engine through supplying to low volume sport car makers and is good up to 500bhp but I have no doubt BMW have avoided this as the engine produces enough torque to give the M5/M6 a real fright + the market is very focussed on map rpm and power p/litre right now. Okay the new engine will be lighter aiding handling but if the old block weas set bar enough back and it's pretty short anyway then that wouldn't have been much of an issue.

I wish they had been brave enough to use the flat plane V8 from the GTR but I guess economy and reliability woudl remain issues, pity.

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

Sponsored Links

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2005 at 04:59

That's very true - there is no doubt the E90 M3 will be somewhat 'shackled'.

The next M3 CSL, well that could be an altogether different proposition.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2005 at 05:02

And a mouth-watering one at that Coasting..

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

BM Fan View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2005 at 17:04
Very interesting and now I'm going to throw in my 2p worth.  I can't comment on the E46 but can draw reference on the same models from the E36 range, and I assume that these fundamentals will apply.

I had a 96 E36 328i Coupe which I loved.  I now have a 96 M3 EVO, complete with all the excess weight possible, leccy heated leather seats, dual climate, s/r, passenger airbag and even PDC.  You can't spec them on the used market and buy on hustory and condition so thats they way she was, no spoiler so that saves a bit.

My commute is 30 miles to work and another 30 back, 50% stop go in motorway traffic, I also travel around Irelands fantastic country roads and am not adverse to winding the machines up when the opprotuinity presents itself.  I also indulge in a few trackdays during the year.

OK - Every day commute - the 328 wins, easier to potter along in and can give a lot of fast cars a serious run for their money, yet it can embarass a lot of so called performance cars " TTs, GTis, Celica's etc".  In real world driving the 328 could make you smile almost as much as the M for its sleeper approach, ( years old and very subtle.  On the country roads it was fun, 3rd gear ran on forever, loads of torque - a really great car.

Now the M - on the commute its a much more tiring drive, the clutch is heavy and the shift not as light. It begs to be driven so its frustarting loads of power and you can't use it.  It appears to have two rev ranges - lazy up to 3200 but not slow, 3200 plus and it starts to fly.  It gets a lot of attention (its completely unmarked, no badges or spoiler, not even the M logo on the rub strips) from boy racers in Glanza turbos and such like which bothers me as they all haven't a clue and think its a basic models with the sport pack. - Dopes!
So on the commute the 328 is the winner. 

Country roads - the M is far superior, the engine has amazing power and torque, but the speeds that it can reach become lunatic very quickly so caution is a must.  On the motorway, sixth gear is mental, I have never driven a car that when you floor it from 40, its like a spring winding up, building all the time untill about 90/100 then hold on cos your off!

On the track, the M is at home, it absolutely flies, the balance is superb, the power band just runs right to the redline with ease, the brakes (will be better with braided hoses) are good.  On the track when you can really drive it on the car is poles apart from the 328.
M still means Motorsport but you have to look to find it and that means reall driving them to discover the pedigree.

So which to own, I have to say I would go the 330 ( I assume its similar to the 328) and buy the E30 M3 for the seat of the pants stuff.  I am looking out for an E30 for trackdays once the funds allow.

I have owned diesels and think they are fantastic, if you want to plod in traffic and the motorway buy a diesel but for a spirited drive I have yet to be in one that can match the raciness, rev range, scream of a petrol when driven on and for that reason if I was buying a diesel commuter I'd buy a Golf (I'll bet that'll open up a can of worms).

BTW in standard commute, driving normally they both returned the same mpg.

Edited by BM Fan
Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

needleworks View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2005 at 19:10

I would also like to add, I had an e36 328ci, and then I traded it in for an e46 330ci, maybe I got a bad car but, the 328 would have left the 330 standing, in all respects !!! acceleration, top speed etc.

I then traded the 330 in for an e46 M3, the difference is absolutely astounding, there is just no comparison, its`s like the difference between night and day !!

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2005 at 03:46
Well welcome to the forums needlesworks!!!!

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2005 at 04:29

I think everyone here is in agreement that the M3 is heads ans shoulders above 328 and 330i models and anyone who has experienced the M 3 litre and 3.2 engines, as most of us have, and M handling will never disagree on that.

However the question is whether to go for the E30 M3 as a cost viable choice for track leaving a more sensible car for the road. I'd say that still makes sense for those on a budget.

Eventually I want an M1 but I'd never commute in her. I'll happily do that in a BMW diesel with a smile in knowing that I can take out the M1 and use her as she was meant. The M3, by its very design, is aimed at the exec commuter market, rightly or wrongly, and so can do both roles but in doing so a compromise always has to be struck - thankfully BMW are pretty good at that these days.

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2005 at 04:50
Interestingly enough, Evo magazine rated the E46 M3 as the best Drivers BMW ever, that includes the E30 M3.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2005 at 05:01
As an E46 M3 owner I didn't want to say that for fear of flaming....but yes, that is indeed true...

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2005 at 05:05

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Interestingly enough, Evo magazine rated the E46 M3 as the best Drivers BMW ever, that includes the E30 M3.

Aye, but we know better Peter  eh..

'Best Driver's Car'.. I've seen some dubious winners over the years: be it original Performance Car, Car, EVO... etc. Tiff Neddell once voted the MCoupe his drivers car of the year back in 2000 but many would argue that now. I think as an involving drive the MCoupe could teach the E46 quite a few things. If BMW had given the MCoupe the same range of techno aids, it would blow the heavier M3 away. Similarly I recall one of the mags doing a comparison of the E30 M3 against the MCoupe around the old 'Ring. Only on the back straight did the Coupe get away.

Those guys at EVO (especially the original PC guys) are pretty on the ball but the 'fashion of new' is still heavily prevalent in many mags of that ilk. I subscribe to EVO but I don't always agree.  For me the E46 is too heavy and too over-complicated for track work and for true lightness of touch back road driving. The EVO gives the rawer experience IMHO and the CSL gets back a lot of those original M values. At least in the E30 you know you're doing the driving, you know when you're making mistakes and you feel more of hero when you nail it. The E46 is the faster car and safer when fast but the I will own an E30 one day because new cars are increasingly compromised by legislation that surrounds car manufacture. I appreciate why that legislation is neccessary but it doesn't make better cars, safer perhaps but not better.

I respect the E30 for what it was and remains today. It's one of the daddy's in my book.

The E46 M3 remains one of the best all-rounder GTs and a truly lovely machine, which has to be enjoyed regardless of what you drive.

Edited by M BLUR
www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2005 at 06:43

I'm also an evo subsriber and I don't always agree with everything they say. So much about driving is subjective and when all is said and done, most of what's written is merely someones opinion. I do however think that EVO is the best motoring magazine around at the moment and in terms of objectivity it is head and shoulders above the likes of Top Gear magazine.

On the subject of weight, the E46 M3 weighs in at 1570kg, compare that to the 996 carrera which tips the scales at just 1345kg. The M3 has been compared to the 911 in this thread. I'm just wondering how much difference that 225kg makes to the driving experience.

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2005 at 07:08

More the the point - how good could the M3 be if it weighed the same as a 911 and a CSL weighed the same as a GT3-RS. The effect to p-to-w would be great and handling potential would surely notch up a lot.

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2005 at 20:36

On the subject of weight, the E46 M3 weighs in at 1570kg, compare that to the 996 carrera which tips the scales at just 1345kg. The M3 has been compared to the 911 in this thread. I'm just wondering how much difference that 225kg makes to the driving experience.

a bit of subject ..but peter  ..try bikes ..180 kilos  and 150 bhp going through one wheel ...  that a real good ratio to weight and power ..it also gets you 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds ..try buying a motor car that can do that for 8 k? brand new ....ok you will look funny in a "power ranger suit"[leathers] .but apart from a jet fighter plane theres nothing else to touch it or make you grin so much .and for some strange reason women tend to like the odd biker ..rather than the car driver   ...strange but true

its a dogs world out there
Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2005 at 13:16
Originally posted by pma1ums pma1ums wrote:

a bit of subject ..but peter  ..try bikes ..180 kilos  and 150 bhp going through one wheel ...  that a real good ratio to weight and power ..it also gets you 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds ..try buying a motor car that can do that for 8 k? brand new ....ok you will look funny in a "power ranger suit"[leathers] .but apart from a jet fighter plane theres nothing else to touch it or make you grin so much .and for some strange reason women tend to like the odd biker ..rather than the car driver   ...strange but true

Craig ... Tis all well and good saying the women prefer a biker to a car driver, but the problem is, they dont know what there getting til the lid comes off.

You are right tho, Ive had it said to me from a few of the girlies I know MANY MANY times, that a nice bike and a decent pair of leathers is a real turn on.

So much so, I was nearly puttin a dipper down on a new R6 last year.

Luckily, common sense prevailed and Im still here today to tell the tale.

"Only The Tyres Are Allowed To Smoke!" -- 2001 330ci Sport (man) - "Oh This Is a Saga Now!" -- E46 Section Remote CCTV Solutions
M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2005 at 04:49

Ya ya ya.. bikes faster than cars.. Of course, 2 wheels, an engine and aone person - if they didn't go faster they'd be pointless. As is they're just plain dangerous. I used to have bikes and you can never match the rush or the accelertion but then the freedom of open air driving without a lid is IMHO far better and a good car still betters a bike when cruising  especially over long distances.

+ bike engines sound plain noisy compared to the myriad of tunes played by a good car engine.

Leathers are cool except wearing them.. roll out the talc and watch out for tank slap..

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

Von Paulus View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Cruisin’ the Reeperbahn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2005 at 04:59
Drivers at the Nurburgring hate bikers - always
getting in the way in the corners.

As for something totally different - I've been thinking
long and hard about.....

.....Renault Megane Trophy. Looks like a superb bit of
kit. I saw one at Hockenheim last year (well, a black
Megane Sport with 19 inch wheels) and they do look
quite funky. Evo has given it a very good write up and
you just know that through the right avenues, a big
discount.

But if the 130i in base form (I only need a/c and a CD
player) comes in at around 25'000, would probably
go for that. Yes it's ugly, but you can't see just HOW
ugly from the driver's seat!
pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2005 at 05:07
Originally posted by M BLUR M BLUR wrote:

Leathers are cool except wearing them.. roll out the talc and watch out for tank slap..

lol you should have put watch out for the tank slappers ..they come in all shapes and sizes ..blonde and brunette.

MR P

get the R6 ...you will never look back

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2005 at 05:51

I heard the R6 is a bit feisty - the 'zsuki GSXR600 more easy to hustle whilst the Kawasak' is just plain crazy quick judging my last month's TWO group comparison.

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2005 at 05:57

your right m blur

the r6 is a beast to deal with and its realy suited to agresive riding styles ..its a bit of a hooligan bike ..on the other hand  .the honda cbr 600    is the best way to introduce yourselfs back on to a bike ..there ..fast .practical .easy to live with and just as fast as the others but better mannered than the others

or just go with 900 fireblade  .and stick a turbo to it ..if you want to have scary fun...the turbo actually works quiet well indeed

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2005 at 06:21

Craig,

I appreciate that bikes are faster than cars but I would still never buy one. If you crash on a bike you are going to stand a good chance of being seriously hurt. I've been in several crashes in cars and never been hurt. Also in a car you get to be warm, listen to music, take your mates and it has a boot.

I heard all the stuff about how it's easier to avoid an accident on a bike etc etc, but I'm not convinced. Also most bikers, who ride sports bikes, ride like nutters.

I just know if I got a bike I'd end up being scraped off the tarmac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic