Forum LockedE46 M3 vs 330Ci Sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 04:30
Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

Guys, you're forgetting something - it's the buyers choice.

Whether you think the purist feel should be available only or not, the fact is BMW know they'd struggle to sell them without certain options. I too find it strange that some options are picked by buyers (PDC being one of them) but I can understand someone picked aircon perhaps. To say the options shouldn't be offered at all is just ignoring the market the company has to sell them to.

I'd agree - it's not about options as such - it's the model range in the first place. Pt being BMW seems to have got it right based on sales and in the end that's what counts to them not the opinion of the minority hard core, which I'm afraid we fall into.

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

Sponsored Links

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 04:33

However, to say that the M cars of today mean "Marketing" and are wasted because they're just used for motorways and trips to the shops, well what sort of response do people expect to comments such as that?  Stereotypical opinions based on little substance or fact, and quite what that comment is meant to contribute to a community feel on the forums I do not know.

I fear you take this a little to heart m8. This thread has actually turned into a good debate with some thought provoking content and a step up from some of the dross posted. May it continue and I hope you can participate without taking matters personally. If you read my comments in context you'll see I actually have a strong affinity for M cars and any discussion as to where BMW is going with the brand is only healthy. If we didn't love M cars we wouldn't be here.

Chin up, ears open!

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

Von Paulus View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Cruisin’ the Reeperbahn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 05:39
I think Mr Coasting takes himself a little too
seriously........

Here are the facts as someone who has had BMW;s
the the past 15 years or so......(yaaaawn)

The E46 M3 is probably one of the best cars you can
buy anywhere, fact. It has a combination of all things
to all men (and ladies) that make it probably worth
the extra 15 Grand over a Mitsutoshi. It's definitely a
feelgood car that given it's head, will give most
'supercars' a good kicking. Think of it as a four
seater 911 at half the price and you're about there - it
certainly calls the £70'000 you'd pay for a 911 into
question. How do BMW do it for the money? I mean,
the M3 is almost bordering on cheap for what it is.

BUT.......it would be nice to offer a cheaper, stripped
out version for the track nutters of which I am not
one! i.e £35'000 and no options available - no air
con, wind up windows, no sound deadening, M5
brakes, manual 'box, 2 speakers and the cheapest
radio. By offereing such a car with no options
available, you won't tread on the toes of 330Ci sales.

The CSL looked and sounded great but I don't think it
was quite as serious as it could have been.

BMW Motorsport has of course become a big money
spinner for BMW - but the fact that you can go out and
buy such an incredible, acomplished car as the M3
for the price of a well optioned 520i Auto Estate
should be cause for celebration, right?

Back in 1991, my Sport Evo was £38'000 which is a
lot more than £38'000 is now...........it really WAS
Porsche money.

I wonder where HH-BN5565 is now?
tw99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 06:20

Someone said earlier that there's no point in running an M-car as a daily driver. That's only true if you agree that we might as well all be driving around in 1.1 Fiestas as they actually satisfy 95% of anyone's transport requirements.

Case in point: My E36 EVO is in the dealer at the moment, and I've had a 120i Sport for 3 days as a loan car. It gets me to work in about the same time as the M3, goes "fast enough" on the motorway, but I certainly don't have a smile on my face when I'm driving it...

98 M3 EVO, Atlantis Blue
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 06:37
Von Paulus, you had an M3 sport evo? Nice, what colour? Any pics? Can you still get them over there, as I thought they'd all found there way over the channel!

Edited by M3AG
M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 06:46

At least by retaining a harder edge in some parts of the range BMW can continue to justify the 'M' badge. The absence of a proper 2+2 coupe (ala 911) beign one area I hope the forthcoming M4 addresses. M6 is great but it's a big ol' thang.

M used to so much more than Audi Sport.. now I can't really distinguish the 2 particuarly and no doubt Audi-VAG have benefitted from their successes in DTM and Le Mans.

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 06:53

Originally posted by tw99 tw99 wrote:

Someone said earlier that there's no point in running an M-car as a daily driver. That's only true if you agree that we might as well all be driving around in 1.1 Fiestas as they actually satisfy 95% of anyone's transport requirements.

Case in point: My E36 EVO is in the dealer at the moment, and I've had a 120i Sport for 3 days as a loan car. It gets me to work in about the same time as the M3, goes "fast enough" on the motorway, but I certainly don't have a smile on my face when I'm driving it...

Fair point but many the E36 EVO is proving itself not the long-term reliable commuter BMW had us believe. We under appreciate the engines because th eprice tags seem very reasonable yet their is a lot of technology in an M engine to go pop. I'm not saying M cars shouldn't be used on the road, far from it as some of the great M5s have shown themselves to be some of the best road cars of all time. Just that I said they're wasted on the commute grind.

The E46 M3 was built to balance the requirements of the average buyer. It's not a track car but the CSL shows the potential in the chassis. I hope that if they continue to retain the 'CSL' monikier that it leads to wilder, more focussed variants that can truly rival Porsche, Audi 'RS' and Japanese etc. The talent is there but much now depends on global marketing as BMW have moved deep into the mainstream to secure its financial future.

I'd actually like to see 'M' become more autonomous and build focussed sport cars emplying the superb BMW technology. Imagine that M-V10 in a sub 1500 kilo mid engined layout 2 seater. I know I have.  Only then do you realise how far M is off it's potential. In this case M can blame its tools..

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 07:03

Well I run an E46 M3 Convertible as a daily drive, and that's exactly what it gets.

It presents no problems whatsoever. 

Yes, we have a second car in the form of a 320d SE, but my wife runs that daily and we might use it on extra long runs with more luggage (because even with the hood tray in the up position the M won't quite carry the same amount as the Saloon).

I actually bought a car (a Subaru Legacy 2.5 V6 Estate) earlier this year with the intention of it being my winter and daily run car, keeping the M in the garage etc until the Spring/Summer months were amongst us or for when the weather for truly awful and I didn't want to get the M filthy.

What happened?  Well short of 2 weeks of driving it and I was as sick as a parrot.  I was missing the M too much and thought of my hard earned cash going to waste in the garage if I had a car I decided not to drive every day.  Hence, the Legacy went (and I made a slightly profit which was even nicer!) and happy days came back in the M.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 07:13

Can't blame you for that Coasting.. an M car is always a lovely drive but only becomes a great drive IMHO when taken off the beaten track, or on track..

Back to topic: I'd still opt for one of BMWs fine diesels for commuting. Maybe with the sport kit if you want a sense of occasion. I'd then have an E30 for back road blasting and track work for it's balance and light inertia is surely what tyou want on those occassions. It's a classic and will never be replicated whereas the E46 is destined to become a defunct model variant once the E90 M3 comes along. I think it'll still make a great buy and perhaps the last and best we'll see of the S50 to S54 3.2 gen engines.

Great car at what it does with a much wider range of talents than previous models but for those few 'focussed' moments - give me an E30 any day.

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

northerner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 07:57

Originally posted by M BLUR M BLUR wrote:

First question, yes.. of course the E46 M3 is WAY better than the 330ci. But you're asking the wrong question.

Thanks for all your feedback - I understand that the M3 will be better than a 330Ci but I would expect so for a premium of @40%.

Unfortunatley, I don't have pockets as deep as the ocean and have to justify any expenditure. Also, resale is a concern with the E90 looming large. If I bought a M3, I would not dare to take it to a track day in case any damage is caused to the car. So the enjoyment of running a E46 M3 must outweight the cost and enjoyment of running a 330Ci and a E30 M3 for track days.

Also the wife has to drive it  

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 08:19
Originally posted by northerner northerner wrote:

Originally posted by M BLUR M BLUR wrote:

First question, yes.. of course the E46 M3 is WAY better than the 330ci. But you're asking the wrong question.

Thanks for all your feedback - I understand that the M3 will be better than a 330Ci but I would expect so for a premium of @40%.

Unfortunatley, I don't have pockets as deep as the ocean and have to justify any expenditure. Also, resale is a concern with the E90 looming large. If I bought a M3, I would not dare to take it to a track day in case any damage is caused to the car. So the enjoyment of running a E46 M3 must outweight the cost and enjoyment of running a 330Ci and a E30 M3 for track days.

Also the wife has to drive it  

I can't disagree with any of that.  Fit for purpose springs to mind.

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 08:23

indeed chaps. A good discussion.

Northener - let us see pics once you've made your new acquisitions.

Best 2 all.

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

shoestring7 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 09:09

Von Paulus,

The reason BMW can do it (build an M3) for the money is because a large part of the development costs of this variant(bodyshell, myriad electrical components, suspension, crash testing, major interior mouldings, type approval & compliance work, etc etc) plus manufacturing facilities & marketing costs can be offset against millions of 318i's and 320d's. BMW also benefit from huge component buying power their bread & butter car volume gives them.

Far from offering great value, I suspect it costs BMW nothing like 2x a 318 to build an M3, and they make a nice fat profit from each one thanks. So in this respect it offers rather poor value for money.

Porsche, on the other hand, have a much smaller volume to amortise their development, manufacturing & marketing costs. This is why they were forced to common platform the 996/986, and yet the 997 (from £58k) is still more than an M3.

SS7

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 09:52

Fair point Shoestring, which makes it all the sadder that BMW don't create a true 911 beater.

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 10:04

But they did - the CSL.  I have been in a 911 C4S that was murdered by one.

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 10:15

But they did - the CSL.  I have been in a 911 C4S that was murdered by one.

But against a GT3 or RS? C4S different car - more comparble to the stock M3 except on price.

I look forward to the next gen M3 CSL.. 440bhp will be good if they get it into action quick enough. Power should be keeping pace with Porsche as a rule but M have not increased capacity of the 3.2, which is already pushing it's boundaries and even a racing flowed, blueprinted and balanced isn't going to push much past 400bhp. And that would be awfully peaky with an aggressive cam etc.

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

shoestring7 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 13:14

M BLur,

The next gen M3 will be a V8. And will probably still do 'only' 155mph.

SS7

'89 E30 M3 (now sold)
'93 968CS
'00 520iT
'02 Alloy Audi
Von Paulus View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Cruisin’ the Reeperbahn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 13:33
She was a red one ( I hate black cars!) bought 3
months old. Really basic - no sunroof, cloth trim,
wind up windows, 6 button clock/outside temp.
At the time, the basic 316i had electric windows.
No pics - this was almost 15 years ago, before
cameras were invented.
Before that was a 1983 323i, and before that, the
dreaded 733i which I had in the U.K.

The red M3 probably is in the U.K. Most of them are
and it's hard work finding one in Germany now
although there are some very nice ones in France.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2005 at 03:48
Originally posted by shoestring7 shoestring7 wrote:

M BLur,

The next gen M3 will be a V8. And will probably still do 'only' 155mph.

SS7

Interesting discussion.

Shoestring, you have hit the nail on the head there. Given the choice between a 911 and an M3, if you take price out of the equation, I would always go for the 911. A proper sports car doesn't have a 155mph limiter on it. Also the fact that the 911 was designed from the start as a sports car whereas the M3 is based on an executive saloon.

Mind you I've not driven either so what do I know.

As for the original question, I'd go for a 320D, then get an E30 M3 (or a Porcshe 968CS) for the weekend Big Smile

While I understand the attraction of the E46 M3, I can't see the point in buying one to do the daily comute. I only have a 328 but I have to admit that even it seems wasted on the daily drudge of the 30mph trawl to work. The roads are so busy these days that I hardly ever get the chance to use the power. With an M3 I can only imagine how much more apparent that would be.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2005 at 04:28

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Interesting discussion.  Shoestring, you have hit the nail on the head there. Given the choice between a 911 and an M3, if you take price out of the equation, I would always go for the 911. A proper sports car doesn't have a 155mph limiter on it. Also the fact that the 911 was designed from the start as a sports car whereas the M3 is based on an executive saloon.

Ah yes, but Peter, you've forgotten why the 911 wasn't an option for me?

Four seats.  Simple.  That is the big draw.  A survey of buyers who DIDN'T choose a 911 showed that for something like 80% of them it was because they wanted it...but with 4 proper seats.

You know my thoughts on the car.  It's superb.  The 911 Turbo Cab is still on my list of replacements (probably have to be a year or two years old) but even then I'll have to go through the whole 4 v 2 seats, family days out v myself and wife days out debate.

Quote Mind you I've not driven either so what do I know.

If ever you get to a Northeast meet I'll take you for spin...not literally.

Quote As for the original question, I'd go for a 320D, then get an E30 M3 (or a Porcshe 968CS) for the weekend Big Smile

I would sing the plaudits of the 320d everyday.  We went for the SE Saloon purely because of the 4 doors and that the kids go in that more often than they do mine.  As a workhorse with the ability to cruise at speed and return silly mpg it's simply peerless in my opinion (for the money).  For what the original poster wanted, the combo above seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Quote While I understand the attraction of the E46 M3, I can't see the point in buying one to do the daily comute. I only have a 328 but I have to admit that even it seems wasted on the daily drudge of the 30mph trawl to work. The roads are so busy these days that I hardly ever get the chance to use the power. With an M3 I can only imagine how much more apparent that would be.

So you buy it with the SMGII box...and slip it into Auto when stuck in traffic.

All traffic breaks at some point and even if I only get to flip the paddles down a few times en route it's enough to bring a huge smile to my face - and that makes the daily drive of a M3 well worth it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic