FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE46 M3 vs 330Ci Sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 09:00

Feel free to tell me Im wrong, but even a 330ci with an ASA supercharger still wont be on a par with an M3

Peppernick on the BMW Car Mamagine forum got his 330ci clubsport supercharged at the back end of last year , hes since sold it and bought an M3.

I think he'd be the first to tell you that they are in a totally different league.

If your in the market for a Black 51 plate 330ci sport tho PM me, as mine is for-sale.

"Only The Tyres Are Allowed To Smoke!" -- 2001 330ci Sport (man) - "Oh This Is a Saga Now!" -- E46 Section Remote CCTV Solutions
Sponsored Links

Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 09:01
Or just buy left hand drive for under £18k for a two year old car.

Almost makes it a real M3...

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 09:30
Originally posted by northerner northerner wrote:

Newbie question - I'm looking at buying either a 330Ci with the sport pack and with the spare cash buy a E30 M3 or pour it all into a E46 M3. Is the E46 M3 quantifiably better that the 330Ci to justify the extra cash?

Honestly,

First question, yes.. of course the E46 M3 is WAY better than the 330ci. But you're asking the wrong question.

I don't know anyone who in their right mind would buy an E46 M3 over an E30 EVO coupled against a more sane 3 series. Driving high performance cars on the long commute makes no sense other than for 'pose' value. Some of the answers posted above are typical of owners who are being asked about the very car they already own. I can't have too much of a go, I own a ZM and defend it to the hilt, and it (rightly) comes in for way more stick than the E46 ever did.

Before I start I'll say the E46 is truly a cracking machine and good enough to make Porsche re-think the whole 'challenging' handling thing the old 996s had, not to mention the power hikes we've seen in the 997. So with that in mind..

If 90% of your time is devoted to motorways then buy a 320 or 330d. The 330ci sits in an awkward place between models though I suspect the new E90 version will be less afflicted. The Clubsport is qwerky but could be a potential depreciation landslide. The 330D is faster real world and an M3 has to work hard in a straight line, mid range, to leave one convincingly.

I'd instead opt to buy an E30 M3 with the change and enjoy a truly focussed lightweight special, a car (CSL aside) the E46 M3 can never be, why because the E46 has to be compromised between comfort, handling, reliability, safety, emissions and economy. That said it's a truly glorious compromise at that.

So if you have the luxury to own 2 cars that are focussed to the tasks you require then I'd say go for the 2. Your fuel economy will be better and what additonal you pay in insurance (unlikely if you get a limited miles policy on the E30) will be easily off-set by the depreciation of the E46 M3 as we near the new E90 M3. The E30 will remain a classic and its value has already flattened nicely. It is a true homologation special with true motorsport roots. The E46 is a pastiche for those who buy into the brand. It's a great car but is wrapped up in excess weight.

Best 2 all.

J

Edited by M BLUR
www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

SundayJumper View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 10:00

Originally posted by beaker beaker wrote:

I think the prices will continue to slide fairly quick and can see quite a batch of decent E46 M3's available for £15k to £20k within 18 months.

Excellent.  Once the E46 CSL is down to £15k (5+ years I expect), I'm going shopping  

Steve.

Sundayjumper - now with added 328 Sport
Von Paulus View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Cruisin’ the Reeperbahn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 10:01
This is what I was trying to tell Coasting - an E46 M3,
as fabulous as they are, are really just a very fast 3
Series. Not meant in any way for cometition ans
thus, a compromise. As for the Convertible, I really
don't get those at all. But I've always been relatively
discreet with cars so I wouldn't understand.
They're actually a very civilised and easy to drive car.
M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 10:03

Just make sure they've had their bottom-end recall as any E46s that have gone out of warranty may fall of the radar and be potential time bombs further down the line.

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

MCC1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 10:07
Praktisk
What are you buying when you sell your 330Ci ?  OR maybe its a big secret
PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 10:12
Originally posted by SundayJumper SundayJumper wrote:

Originally posted by beaker beaker wrote:

I think the prices will continue to slide fairly quick and can see quite a batch of decent E46 M3's available for £15k to £20k within 18 months.

Excellent.  Once the E46 CSL is down to £15k (5+ years I expect), I'm going shopping  

Steve.

Wow. On the horizon a convergence in prices soon between those of the best E30 M3's and the cheapest E46's.

M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 10:12

Originally posted by Von Paulus Von Paulus wrote:

This is what I was trying to tell Coasting - an E46 M3,  as fabulous as they are, are really just a very fast 3 Series. Not meant in any way for cometition ans thus, a compromise. As for the Convertible, I really  don't get those at all. But I've always been relatively discreet with cars so I wouldn't understand. They're actually a very civilised and easy to drive car.

It's a touchy issue this as few owners would want to admit that the 'M' now stands more for marketing than Motorsport. They are a lovely drive but that engine is wasted in runnign back and forth along the motorway or down to the shops. As for being a hardcore drivers car then you only have look at Japanese specials to see how far the gap has grown between 'M' and the rest. The CSL showed what cou be done if only they got the cost down a little or gave it enough power to compete properly with the Porsche specials. It would be nice to see M Gbmh build some truly special cars but much of that hinges on BMW making something they can use in the first place not transform something quite humble into the special. Don't get me wrong, I can happily live with an M car purely on its engine alone BUT give us what we need: a Boxster coupe-rivalling MCoupe. Big power, low weight and a superb chassis.

www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

Banned User
Banned User
Cruisin’ the Reeperbahn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 10:45
'Twas ever thus!!

I think the forthcoming 130i should be a bit of a buzz.
258 bhp at 1300 kilos - not bad eh?

With speed being the antichrist that it is in the U.K,
something like a 1200 kilo 1 Series 2 door with
about 240 bhp from a buzzy 4 pot should do the trick
- but you just know that they'd give it traction control
as opposed to a proper LSD and such like. I really
don't think they'll make another E30 M3 again.

Agreed on the Japanese stuff Blur - for £23'000 the
Mitsi Evo 8 has got to be the bargain of the year. I
mean, 260 bhp, 4wd and a big turbo.
Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 10:58

Originally posted by MCC1 MCC1 wrote:

Praktisk
What are you buying when you sell your 330Ci ?  OR maybe its a big secret

No big secret ... a true performance beast is on the cards......

In the form of a Vaxhall Astra or Ford Fiesta Van. Needs must im afraid.

Short term pain = long term gain tho as they say.

"Only The Tyres Are Allowed To Smoke!" -- 2001 330ci Sport (man) - "Oh This Is a Saga Now!" -- E46 Section Remote CCTV Solutions
M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 11:12

I respect those cars a lot yet they leave me cold for they are a bit dull when off the boil and the Mitsi 4-pot has to be the dullest sounding 4-pot ever devised. Do like the MRs but the servicing is plain silly.. Scoobie WR Type 25 an absolute loon of a car but has the looks of the ugly bird of the girl you really fancy (in this case an E46 M3).

However I look at Noble and see that can be done from very basic components with much smaller budgets. M Gbmh has twice the talent and 20 times the budget yet are constraiend bvy corporate BMW. The biggest problem has been BMWs insistence of gettign back into F1 and marketing V10 engines when they need to be in GT and endurance and buidling some sport cars.

For me things went downhill for 'M' after the M1. Which is a bit of a sad state. The E30 M3 for me was the last true M car.

Does M = Motor..way. Perhaps.

The CSL gives me hope and the MCoupe showed a devlish side still exists in there.. somewhere. BMW seems focussed to adding CSLs to each line up. Isn't that what the M-car is supposed to be in the first place?

With the possibility of a 3 series 3 litre turbo - I really don't see the place of the M3 anymore.. or is it CSL..  BMW should sell and market one halo 3 series model and offer add-on luxuries or clubsport trim to suit needs. It's like the GT3-RS 911. Why have both models. Offer one model in differt trims like they used to do. CAR MAKERS - STOP DIFFERNTIATING THE MARKET WITH INVISIBLE LINES THAT AREN'T THERE!!!!  It's the McDonald's 1000 variations of a theme and what do the Americas do - they sell different platform cars with the same engine config (5.7l anyone) .. crazy.. what's the point???

BUT I'm in a it of a dilehma because the M5 has neem a true great road car for so many years and is almost unbeatable, again making the E46 superflous. Why own an E46 M3 when you can have an E39 M5 second hand for less money?? From a drivers perspective my problem is I don't see the purpose of the M3 when other 3 series do 90% as good and other M cars past and present can do the whole track thing so much better.

Perhaps because of the Macca it's as if BMW doesn't feel they need to try. I mean Bugatti-VAG chasing a car years later than was powered by an engine not far removed from 2 M3 engines. I also think BMW's abandoning of the turbo after the 2002 was its' biggest faux pas.

Of course from a marketing perspective I can completely undertand the purpose of the M3, but that doesn't mean I'd buy one despite how good it is. If anthing it'll get better as the M3 wil become distinguished by a V8 engine to go up against the Audi S4/RS4 but I still think BMW fudge too many halo cars into too many ranges, placing more pressure on M Gmbh to turn around new models.

Give M Gmbh a 2-3 cars top to turn into true drivers cars. Get more involved in Motorsport and let's see those cars race therein.

You know you start typing and then you can't stop, apologies..

J

Edited by M BLUR
www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 11:25

'Twas ever thus!!

I have to say that does sound like quite a nice little package in the "Van" Series.

Can't say that the Jap stuff would really ever entice me and I am certain they won't ever make another e30 M3 style car. Your average punters just wouldn't get it, car mags would slate it and BMW would want stupid amounts of money for it.....

Bit like buying a CSL then adding aircon, and all the trimmings, most people just can't grasp the concept....(personally, that shouldn't have been offered as an option and if someone asked for it they should have been marched out of the showroom...)
MCC1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 11:26

I presume BMW will be bring out a 3 door 1 series ('coupe'). 3dr versions of any hatch look so much better than the 5drs (even things like Focus's, Punto's, 206's, 306's etc) so I reckon the 3dr 1 Series will be a big improvement over the 5dr 1 series (although I really like the one series personally) and look the part. So an 3dr M Powered & styled 1 series will be the M Car to have. I can't see BMW fitting a 4 cyl engine though. As although this will please die hard E30 M3 fans [myself included] it mightn't appeal to the masses - and BMW marketing men will have a say in this. Although the fact that they made the M3 CSL and the fact that the rest of their cars are selling like hotcakes (inc the MINI) they might well create a future classic/great like the E30 M3 & make it a highly tuned lightweight tail happy uberhatch. I hope so.

therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 15:16
Originally posted by lancelotII lancelotII wrote:

'Twas ever thus!!

I have to say that does sound like quite a nice little package in the "Van" Series.

Can't say that the Jap stuff would really ever entice me and I am certain they won't ever make another e30 M3 style car. Your average punters just wouldn't get it, car mags would slate it and BMW would want stupid amounts of money for it.....

Bit like buying a CSL then adding aircon, and all the trimmings, most people just can't grasp the concept....(personally, that shouldn't have been offered as an option and if someone asked for it they should have been marched out of the showroom...)

I saw an M3 CSL in Whitehouse BMW, Ruxley, it had PARKING DISTANCE SENSORS FITTED!!!!!!!!!

WTF is the point?!?! PDS is for losers!

Kinda like the advert for the RS6, who wants to 'ride' a tamed bull??
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 16:13

Guys, you're forgetting something - it's the buyers choice.

Whether you think the purist feel should be available only or not, the fact is BMW know they'd struggle to sell them without certain options.

I too find it strange that some options are picked by buyers (PDC being one of them) but I can understand someone picked aircon perhaps.

To say the options shouldn't be offered at all is just ignoring the market the company has to sell them to.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 17:43
PDC came on my car when I bought it, the all round visibility isn't as good in an E36 as an E30, so it came in usefull judging distances while getting used to it, also usefull when you can't see a low barrier, small dog etc. behind you.
I don't depend on it, use it more as a third eye.

As far as cars go, you buy a car to suit your needs depending on your pocket size..
I could have bought an E38 740i (a stunning car, but high mileage and high running costs), but instead bought a smaller compact for the same price, same reg but with a much lower mileage and spec. I know which one I'd have prefered but it wouldn't have suited my needs, and my pocket in the long run. It all comes down to personal preference in the end.
If we were all the same then we would all have the same model of car, we are not all the same but we have (or are interested in) the same marque..
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 17:54

Agree entirely Rhys (and my comment about PDC was purely in relation to the CSL).

Different people buy different cars for different reasons - the trick is to recognise that not everyone wants the same out of a car that you do.

However, to say that the M cars of today mean "Marketing" and are wasted because they're just used for motorways and trips to the shops, well what sort of response do people expect to comments such as that?  Stereotypical opinions based on little substance or fact, and quite what that comment is meant to contribute to a community feel on the forums I do not know.

Edited by Coasting

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 18:14
i bought a M because of its past and the pressance it has on the road .
i love bmws so do not care what others think of my drive.
car makers sell what people will buy they always have and always will and that includes the E30 m3 and every car on the planet.
buy what YOU want not what others say you want .
price doesnt matter if you think it is worth it, no matter what it is .
if people say the E30 m3 is PURIST MACHINE why did it have back seats ,elec windows etc and somewhere for the shopping , bmw made it for the road with there experience of the track.
M is one thing does it matter if the model has put weight on or got larger.
i love it and thats why i bought 1 and i would get another.
but i also like the other models too as i had a few and loved driving them as much as the M ITS JUST THE GRIN IS FAR BIGGER AND HARDER TO REMOVE .

i have not said anything to have a go at any car just my opinion of the truth , if it isnt liked ignor it dont react to it.
p.s the 330 with the acs blower is not worth much at all and they find em hard to sell on.
even tho i would like to try one
if i had the money and space i would own every diff model of the M CAR even a cab and coupe in the same model just for the hell of it
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
Banned User
Banned User
Cruisin’ the Reeperbahn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 18:31
The M3 was great but even 10-20 years ago were too
much like hard work to use everyday. The M635CSi
was a lovely thing but my fave was the 3.8 litre 5
speed M5 E34.

What a car.

My opinion? Alpina should make the plush stuff and
leave the M badge for stripped out hairy ****d road