Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedProject ’Weight Loss’ M3 Part 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2005 at 14:43
I had but they ported it for me so i'm happy with that.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Sponsored Links

DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2005 at 19:07

Toby,

Jamie dropped the parts off this evening, ready for the weekend. The timing chain tensioner looks different but will check it out in the morning. If the incorrect one no problem as I have a new one on the shelf.  You need to remove your air flow meter.

Ive pinned my bonnet and suggest you look for pins with completly round heads as it will help locating when closing. Only pin it at the front and use the standard bonnet latches for the rear. Don`t drill any holes till you have made sure you have the correct bnnet pins.

Took the track car out on the road today. Absoutly awesome. Shift light at 8200rpm change gear and back in the middle of the power band at 6000RPM. Am tempted to put the shorter diff 3.91 in as it will make acceleration even quicker, but will be a pain on long trips. That`s when to use the trailer.

Regards,

Dave

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2005 at 12:20
Dave

I was looking at pins, and have only seen the flat faced pins. i'll have a look for some.

the lower diff will make for more uncomfortable driving. wait until after the June ring trip.
Toby

DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2005 at 07:30

Toby,

I`m already running a 3.73 and its bad on the highway. Quick acceleration though, but would be an absolute pig to drive to the Ring with. Heaven forbid the 3.91.

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2005 at 13:56
The latest update

Thanks to the maverlous skills of Dave my head is back on and the engines ticks over perfectly. We test fitted the head and the 4th piston was a little close to the valves, so Dave scraped away the ridge by t6he pocket on the face of the piston, giving us enough clearence.

We started at 9am and by 7pm the car was running. It rained most of the day so i'm glad the bonnet was off and had it in the garage to work on.

The valve clearences need to be 0.3-0.35mm for the first 500-1000 miles and then checked and then changed to 0.28-0.32mm. There was only one valve which was above these tollorences as we did not have the correct shim, but is at 0.4mm. It can be heard tapping as well. I'll be changing the shims once the valve seats have been run in.

When we came to synchronise the TB's the 'T' bar that hold the 2 arms which open the butterfies was slightly bent and we were unable to get the TB's sync'ed. This has since been changed and sounds better, but now need to be sync'ed.

Just helping Dave fit the head and getting the car running i have learnt so much more than just being able to change spark plugs.

Once the valves have been checked the airbox, a-n and wb02 will be going on and will take the car to Dastek to set it up.

Toby

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2005 at 04:40
Brief update

The car has done 500+ miles and have checked the valve clearences. They were all much the same and only need to change 3 shims. I Knew 2 gaps were slightly wider than should have been but Dave did not have any that would have fitted with the right clearence.

The car Has also had the brakes properly vacuum bleed to get rid of all the micro bubbles and boy do they work.I keep coming up short of junctions by about 10 meters. I need to get to trust them.

I was at Colins last evening/night alias 2002sportevo and was there to set up the TB's. Well they were out quite a bit and one could feel it as the engine hessitated at a constant 3000 revs.

All was going well with the vacuums starting to line up and then we lost the idle click on the TPS. After 5 mins we took the adjustable shaft that connects the throttle linkage to the tb's spindles. This was not shutting enough to get idle. We adjusted the bottom position twisted the spindle right in. Started her up and we were gobsmacked it ran almost perfect. Adjusted the vacuums between them all and idle to 850-900.

We'll the car just purrs now. What a difference! It is now ready for the CF/a-n which will be fitted this weekend. I'm also going to wire in the narrowband signal into the techedge and ECU as advised by Martin. Colin has the wiring diagrams for this.

The drive home from Colins was superb, twisty back road. Sitting relaxed in the sparco seat, hands lightly gripping the suade SW, gently guiding the card round the bends it felt awesome and just at home. What a car the E30 M3 is. No other M3 will do, it is the original and best!
Toby

M3CSL View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2005 at 14:57

Toby

Who done your brakes? My pedal seems to be getting softer.

Paul

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2005 at 15:19
Originally posted by M3CSL M3CSL wrote:

Toby

Who done your brakes? My pedal seems to be getting softer.

Paul

Paul a chap just near Livingston bleed them for me, Stuart McLaren. If you want his number let me know.
Toby

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2005 at 15:38
Managed to get out at 4pm to do a little more work on the car. My first objective was to fit the filter and inner CF funnel.

The fan as fitted standard

The filter housing is bolted to the CF funnel on the inside and slots neatly into the vacant position. The radiator holds this in position, but have fixed the top of the funnel left by the blanking cover when it was removed.

Behind the front bumper

In the engine compartment. You will just be able to see the screw top right of the funnel.

The standard fan postision inhibits the filter housing and lower funnel. The fan is unbolted and rotated 90 deg so the brakets fit on the side housing. The bottom bolt is fixed to a bracket(hidden by the cross beam) which is fixed at the top where the fan was previous fixed. You will be able to see this bracket just to the left of the filter.

Quite a neat install altogether, with just enough room.

That's realy the most awkward part. I hope to continue tomorrow, weather permitting.

Toby

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2005 at 15:49
Finished the rest of the airbox and alpha-n this afternoon and got the car running. I just need to now put the wb02 in and will run the narrow band simulated.

I need to review the brake res as it's touching the airbox and this will vibrate and move when the engine is revved.

Almost there just need to map it and off we go!
Toby

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2005 at 16:19
Cool! Like the airfilter. I didn't realise they sell like this now. Looking forward to see your car in flesh.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2005 at 17:35
Uwe

John had a sample one on S14.net ages ago and as part of the GB they were available as additions to the package. I don't think he has any left so was really a one off for the GB purchases. It means the bumper and grill need to come off to clean it.

Just need to wire in the WB02, which after speaking with Colin on the phone tonight is done via the X3 block in the a-n loom. There's also a block for shift lights as well.

I'm pleased with the car as it stands and once mapped will get back with a figure.
Toby

Simon325i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2006 at 04:38

Was just searching through the archives, and noticed this post near the locking point!

Is it going to be updated anymore? Been a great read.

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2006 at 13:31
Ian, i was going to fit the new exhaust and coilovers, plus new lower wish boane track rod ends and ARB link. I will also fit the powerflex parts to the wishbones, in the New Year whilst on holiday, but the bl**dy cold has stopped me. I'm going to get it in the garage and remove the sunroof and weld in a new piece, a few spot welds a day to stop the roof from wrapping.

I'm glad it's been a good read, has been good fun as well. I just wish it was your cars colour.

Oh and a rollcage as well this year, if all goes well.
Toby

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2006 at 13:40
Is it just the pic, or is your oil cooler rather curved ? Hopefully see you and the car at the Ring for Easter Toby.   
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2006 at 13:51
Originally posted by BMG M3 BMG M3 wrote:

Is it just the pic, or is your oil cooler rather curved ? Hopefully see you and the car at the Ring for Easter Toby.   

I was thinking that as well.

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2006 at 13:55
Yep it is so it catches all the cool air under the bumper. I have a spare that i moght put on, but as it don't leak i'll leave it.

I hope to be at the Ring. I tried to find dates of full weekends after easter but none available at the moment.

I am looking for a diff as well 3.64 or 3.46 if anyone has one they are not using.
Toby

trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2006 at 14:19
Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

Ian, i was going to fit the new exhaust and coilovers, plus new lower wish boane track rod ends and ARB link. I will also fit the powerflex parts to the wishbones, in the New Year whilst on holiday, but the bl**dy cold has stopped me. I'm going to get it in the garage and remove the sunroof and weld in a new piece, a few spot welds a day to stop the roof from wrapping.

I'm glad it's been a good read, has been good fun as well. I just wish it was your cars colour.

Oh and a rollcage as well this year, if all goes well.
Get out in the garage , it's not cold ??? 
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2006 at 14:24
Originally posted by trackM3 trackM3 wrote:

Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

Ian, i was going to fit the new exhaust and coilovers, plus new lower wish boane track rod ends and ARB link. I will also fit the powerflex parts to the wishbones, in the New Year whilst on holiday, but the bl**dy cold has stopped me. I'm going to get it in the garage and remove the sunroof and weld in a new piece, a few spot welds a day to stop the roof from wrapping. I'm glad it's been a good read, has been good fun as well. I just wish it was your cars colour. Oh and a rollcage as well this year, if all goes well.
Get out in the garage , it's not cold ??? 

not the weather, but the cold and flu in me. i have sinus problems which has caused an infection and i can't get rid of the cold and cough.
Toby

trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2006 at 14:28
A Pack of Blackcurrent Tunes will do the job 55p from all good chemist's then off to the Garage and get it finished !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic