FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedProject ’Weight Loss’ M3 Part 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2005 at 15:40

Brian,

yes, track car now road legal, taxed, MOT, insured ( mods declared )the lot.

One of the reasons is to take it to the ring, but also to get more use out of it then just track days, otherwise it ends up a really expensive toy. Well I suppose its that all ready. 

I`m wanting to look at other events, Hill climbs, sprints, etc and am also a little fed up of putting it on and off  the trailer everywhere.

The induction noise on the road is awesome, but am expecting a few tugs from boys in blue.

Toby,

Ł7900, not bad so far, does this include your CF air box and AN ?  but I fear you will double that once you start your serious engine mods. These engines are not the cheapest to modify.

I`ve had a quote for cams and buckets to get my engine breathing and reving up to 9000rpm, and power is expected to be 300 to 320BHP. I`ve decided I`m going to run it as it is for now, and look to do this next mod come winter 2005. The Alpina is under going a full rebuild at the moment so need to concentrate on that.

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
Sponsored Links

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2005 at 17:08
Dave

That does include the CF & a-n. I know the bottom end and MS top end will cost a few quid, but will on time get it done. I have sold a few items from the car as well mind which has reduced the cost. If i sell more items then the price comes down. I have the bbs 3 piece wheels for sale as well at the mo, so when these sell it will reduce the total cost, in theory anyway.

Your right in it being an expensive toy but you only live once, but you can now take it for a spin should the urge take you. That's part of the reason i want to keep mine road legal, so i can drive to meets and trackdays without the expense of trailers etc.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2005 at 18:08
More parts have arrived.....

Just love the ///M detail on the throttle cable support

The kit comes with a new brake fluid res, all attachments, clips etc.

Edited by 215m3
Toby

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2005 at 18:10
All looking very good!  The ///M detail is indeed a nice touch.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2005 at 20:13

That airbox is a work of art, as is the throttle cable support, can't wait to start lavishing my machine with some carbon upgrades like this below............if i win the lottery

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2005 at 17:06
Ian on page one, but have posted the CF airbox on this page above
Toby

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 15:14
A update on progress

29.5mm ports on the inlet side

The head was sent to a chap in germany called Moufang for porting so i could fit the larger 48 TB's and larger CF airbox. Moufang discovered the last time the head was off someone had put oversized valve seats, not OEM, but not all the seats were changed.

The inlet side valve seats had little meat left on them so it was recommended not to change the seats but go with larger valves. The choice was either 38mm shrick or 38.5mm M 5 valves. I left it to Moufang as he knows eventually i want to go the MS route and fit what will work nect time. M5 valves have been used.

Exhaust sizes were retained due to finances.

The head has been planned to the max and therefore only a max of 0.4mm could be planned this time. It means a higher compression and will need some adjustable cam sprockets to make sure the cam timing is perfect.

Toby

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 15:20

Excellent latest pictures there.  I'm finding this very interesting, despite the fact I am the least mechanically minded person I know and I can't really understand a word of it!

But it's got me hooked in to the thread so keep it coming!

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Torch Str8 6 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 15:32

project really starting to take shape now :)

ive been silently observing over the weeks

with the power to weight ratio it will run rings round E46 M3s and even some std CSLs ill bet, due to the handling nature of the E30 being the best M3 they ever did to date

cant wait for some video footage

Summer Project on its way......
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 15:40
Few questions
1,Did you start with the 195 or 215 head
2,Did they fit new valve guides
3,Did you look into anyone in the UK to do the work
4,The mating surface looks,like the rest of the head, to have been bead blasted or similar after the head has been skimmed.Just curious to know why they didn't leave it machined finished.
5,Are you still on track ( no pun ) to be at the Ring for Easter
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 16:01
Brian i have sent you an email

It's a 195 head. Although there are people in the UK it was as cheap to send to germany. I plan the MS 2.5 route eventually and will get moufang to build it as John's engine is strong and reliable and we've both witnessed this.
Toby

Adrian H View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 17:03

Hi Toby,

It's nice nice to know that I am not the only mad one round here. I decided to build a 2.5 last year and what started out as a 2.5 with mild mods such as cams etc., has turned into a full MS 2.5 very similar to John's. I'm frightened to work out how much I have spent but I'm hoping the grin factor will be worth it

I started off with a 215 head so my inlets were already matched for 48 throttle bodies but I had to get the ports enlarged from 28mm to 29.5mm and also the throats were made larger. I have gone with full MS setup, shim under etc. and also had to get some very mild porting on the exhaust side because the MS valves I'm using are 32.5mm instead of the normal 32mm.

I have had to go Group A bottom end which means some original parts I bought have never been used, if you are looking for anything, such as oil pump. I bought a new Evo 3 oil pump from the dealer then found out I had to go with Grp A DTM so it has never been used. Just a thought if you still need parts to complete your engine.

Keep us posted with your progress because it is interesting reading.

All the best

Adrian 

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 17:57
Adrisn

thanks for the comments. At the moment the bottom end is untouched and plan to go the whole hog eventually. John has advised me the engine, if set up right should get about 250/260 which added to the loss of weight will pull well.

When the heads back it all hands on to get the brakes, airbox, an and wb02 fitted before 22/3 for the ring trip.

Toby

DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2005 at 04:03

Toby,

Head pic`s look good. I`m glad to hear you are on track to complete in time for easter. I`ve decided not to go at easter but wait for the s14 meet later in the year.  Looking at the weather we are having, i would suggest taking your ski`s along.

Jamie said you were getting bits for your rebuild, its good to know a guy who has a similar intrest, and is familar with the E30 M3. If we go over for the S14 meet I may see if he wants to come along.

Good luck with the rest of the rebuild and look forward to seeing that car soon.

cheers,

Dave.

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
Karlp View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2005 at 05:23

I am finding this very intertesting as I have just bought an M3 for track / racing.

I am doing the stripping and suspension at present but will be doing the engine next winter.

Forgive my ignorance - what is the MS route - so that I can plan ahead.

Karl

Edited by Karlp
Adrian H View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2005 at 05:36

Karl,

The MS stands for Motorsport ie. using BMW Motorsport parts, the parts they used on their Group A cars running in the DTM at the time and also other championships.

HTH

Adrian

Adrian H View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2005 at 05:56

Toby,

I have replied to your PM.

I am planning on a trip to the Ring this year but Easter is just too early for me so please keep me informed of future visits over there. It will give me time to drop the engine into my car and get some miles on it because this engine is all new top to bottom, and also get the Alpha N tuned, which I know will mean two to three times on the rollers until I get it exactly how I want it.

Adrian

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 13:32
Well another little update.

Got the car back from the garage as i have kindly been offered the services of someone to put my head back on etc.

I have fab'ed the PS bracket and relocated this further forward and out towards the wing in preperation for the airbox.

I have drained the brakes so i can fit the 25mm master cylinder and relocate the resevior.

I have test fitted the brake kit supplied by Ian and fitted the 16" wheels and perfect clearence on the inner wheel face by 10mm and from the face of the wheel by about 10mm. No spacers needed just bolted on. I did replace the bolts for studs to make it easier to put the wheel and disc on.

I'm please with the finish and look of the brakes and hope they work as well as they look. Suppose Ian will give us an update when he is back from his Rallying this wekend.

New rear grooved discs on the back as well.

I have removed the anti rollbar rubbers, but have been unable to get if back together as the new rubeers seem a little large. I need to replace the lower wishbones as well.

Has anyone replaced the bonnet bracket with bonnet pins, if so what version did you use. As i'm goind to remove the bonnet when putting the head back on.

Toby

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2005 at 12:52
Fitted new master cylinder, 25mm version which was supplied by C3 and came with the replacement metal hose which replaces the old hose(different fitment) and goes from the rear outlet to the abs unit, albeit it was stright and need bending into shape.

The PS bottle and the brake fluid resevior have been relocated as in the picture. 90 deg joints have been used from the master cylinder to clear the airbox when it goes on. These, the hose, which need cutting to length and the ATE resevior were all with the airbox kit.

The bracket for the PS is just reversed and a little metal cut off, then bent slightly so it fits on the reverse side of the airbox bracket.

Toby

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2005 at 13:16
Looks god Toby, but have you noticed that someone has nicked the head of that car
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic