FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedProject ’Weight Loss’ M3 Part 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project ’Weight Loss’ M3 Part 2
    Posted: 17-November-2004 at 12:24
The car has now been stripped and all that remains inside is the dash and headliner, soon to come out. I have removed the sound deadening with a heat gun and scrapper and found it quite easy, apart from toasted fingers!

I have the seats, harnesses and brackets ready to put in. I need to weld in the harness fixing points before being able to used the car as the M3 seats have the seatbelt fixing integrated. The shoulder fixing will be temporary as i will have these fixed to the cage eventually.

The wheels have been sourced, but may take 3 months to be made due to production. I have chosen Tean Dynamics Pro Racer 1.2 in 17*8" so i can fit 235/40's all round. I'm getting 2 sets, so one can have R888's and the other a grippy road set for the Ring trip and wet trackdays.

I have chosen the larger wheel so 6 pots can be fitted underneath. I also plan to follow Ian in his footsteps of a high output 2.5L, eventually.

A new T45 cage will be welded in and am hopefully seeing a chap next week to discuss what pattern of tubing and cost.

CF airbox and A-N will also be added and have also managed to get a set of 48 TB's off ebay for £200.

All parts of the interior are for sale and have managed to sell the gear lever gator and knob and the handbrake cover(which are items i didn't think would sell, but help with the budgeting). The seats will be available soon.

The car came with neg top mounts, lowered eibach springs with koni shocks and a 2 piece exhasut manifold.

The rear bushed have been replaced with polyflex versions and a 1.9 Z3 lever has been fitted with all new bushes.

Next task is the seats and harnesses. Then the cage. Once this has been completed, the TB's Airbox fitting and A-N will be worked on. Once the wheels arrive the brakes can be sorted.

Got my work cut out until the Easter Ring trip.

Edited by 215m3
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Sponsored Links

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2004 at 12:52
Toby don't fit the 48mm throttles to the "small" head.
Or enlarge the ports.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2004 at 13:11
an update........... drivers seat is in. Harness fixings points have been welded in. The 2 rear ones are temporary as they will be attached to the cage, when fitted. The seat brackets work fine, but only give the seat one upright position and will need to fab it. The front of the bracket needed to be sawn down as it would not let the seat lower that much.

The last weight with the bolted cage and both front leather recaro seats and sound deadening the car weighed 1140kg. With one sparco seat and harness, sound deadening removed it weighed the same. It maybe the fuel as i has a 1/4 of a tank that made it weigh 1140kg, which is exactly the same. I does, however feel so much quicker. Picks up quicker acrass the whole rev range and zips round to the redline faster as well.
Toby

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2004 at 14:53
and don't forget the other benefit of lightening (that people often overlook) - the car will feel so much better when you're exploiting the handling through the corners - will change direction more easily and so forth - also, braking will improve and by lightening the sprung weight you've stiffened the suspension

keep the updates coming - would love to do what you're doing one day...
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2004 at 15:58
I've found that. I was out about 4 and it was wet and becuase it's lighter the car seemed to break away sooner.

I've enjoyed doing what i have done so far. It's slow work when other commitments take priority.
Toby

stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2004 at 16:15

takes a brave man to butcher an e30 m3, at least youve got another more civilised one for everyday use

have you got any pics of your nova?  i havent seen an sr in years!

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2004 at 18:11
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

I'll pm u a pic, it is a 1983 A reg, one owner from new(my grandpa's) 72k miles and unmolested, in pastal yellow. conditon is 85%
Toby

MONO View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2004 at 16:40
Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

I'll pm u a pic, it is a 1983 A reg, one owner from new(my grandpa's) 72k miles and unmolested, in pastal yellow. conditon is 85%

LOL!!

A stock Nova!!

I havent seen one of those for years either... most of the Chavs have snapped em up and attached a snow plough on the front Lowered it so much all the chav mates have to jump out evertime they go over speed humps. and the standard big bore exhaust to decrease all back pressure

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2005 at 16:25
Update on the project.

The headliner is out and passenger seat in., sparco suade steering wheel, elec window switchs relocated to centre of dash.

WB02 has arrived from oz...

Brakes arrived from Ian, cheers

Pads are from Endless

The head is off and on it's way to be ported on the inlet side. It has been pressure tested and was fine. The inlet side was extremely clean. The head will be away for about 2 weeks.

change of manufacturer

Nova pics, for those who asked

More pics here

Edited by 215m3
Toby

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2005 at 16:34
Just thought the other day when I repaired my front indicator that replacing the bumpers with GRP would be a big weight saving as well. That bugger is quite heavy!
Sure it withstands slight impacts better that a GRP, but who want's to crash?
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2005 at 17:02
I had mine off as well and note what you mean. as and when funds allow i may get the lighter ones.
Toby

DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2005 at 17:28

Toby,

Did you get your 25mm master for your brakes ????

Your car is comming along well, are you going to keep the same colour or are you going to spice it up.

BTW, my track car is now street legal. Went for a blast in it today, sure did turn a few heads. The re -mapping  has sorted the problems I was having, but is now pulling strong. I still haven`t decided about Easter ring trip, as may consider going later in the year.

Keep the updates coming,

Regards,

Dave.

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2005 at 18:35
Dave

Colour will remain diamant schwarz at the mo. I bet you got some looks in your trackcar, the noise as well as the decals.

The garage that offered to do the work have taken the head off and is mid frieght to Moufang to work his magic on the inlet side. No larger valves as this would mean shorter valves and it all gets messy regarding cams, shims etc, i'll wait and get the full MS works done when i can afford it. I have the brakes but when Kevin, the garage owner, said i could bring my car over i took it to his old garage where i am not allowed to work on it due to insurance probs, but could if i had taken it to his new garage. Anyway will get there eventually and Colin, aka 2002evo, is going to help get the a-n set up and wired it in as he is comfortable with this as he has just do his 2002.

Just need to find a set of 17's as i have a set of tyres for them and think the M5 wheels will jut out past the arches. Fancy another set of Compo TH2's in white.

Think you should go to the Ring at Easter and in June!!!
Toby

Alan F View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2005 at 18:36
Dave,

I'm not surprised you turned a few heads, even an M3 owners jaw would drop if you pulled up along side at the lights in your track car :-) I'm also leaving it a little later than Easter for my next Ring trip.

Toby, Car sounds like it is taking shape nicely, look forward to seeing it.

Alan

Edited by Alan F
DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2005 at 19:52

Alan,

I just think its to early with the weather, and being the first open day if open will be very busy.

I would prefer to go later in the year if their is an S14 meet again. Its one place you need to give respect. Get it wrong big time and the pine box becons.

Anyway nice to hear from you again.

Toby, don`t rush your car, take your time.

Grow with the car as you do your mod`s.

Dave.

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2005 at 05:15
Alan,you would walk right past it at a show as it's a little rough around the edges.

Dave, i do intend to grow with the car, if i can get 230 bhp effectively (i.e because i have dropped the weight to 1100kg, 29.5mm inlet on head, 2 piece manifold, miltek, 48's, CF airbox and a-n i'm hoping for 230 bhp) This will do me for the time being.

Just taking out the all the interior weight made the car feel more responsive. It now has the ability to stop with the brakes should inspire a little more confidence. The handling seems pretty good and has adjustadle dampers so may need to play around with the settings for a while. It has eibach springs and koni shock, with neg top mounts for reference.

Edited by 215m3
Toby

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2005 at 06:59

This looks like a really interesting project.  Am I right in saying that you're going to be looking at a power to weight bhp ratio of about 209 bhp per tonne?

Thats a mere 9 less than an E46 M3 - it's going to be a seriously fast E30! 

Building a track car is something I have always wanted to do but my mechanical skills start and stop with lifting the bonnet and checking the oil - so its highly inpractical for me to try it!

What do you think your total outlay will have been by the time you've finished (including the car)? 

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2005 at 07:58
Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

This looks like a really interesting project.  Am I right in saying that you're going to be looking at a power to weight bhp ratio of about 209 bhp per tonne?

Thats a mere 9 less than an E46 M3 - it's going to be a seriously fast E30! 

Building a track car is something I have always wanted to do but my mechanical skills start and stop with lifting the bonnet and checking the oil - so its highly inpractical for me to try it!

What do you think your total outlay will have been by the time you've finished (including the car)? 

Buying one where someone has already paid out and done the hard work would be a lot easier,not to mention cheaper ,if building your own car isn't part of the fun of doing it.
www.oakfields.com has an interesting looking E30 M3 track car for sale . 240bhp, a roll cage that looks pretty similar to the early BTCC and DTM cars , lightweight bumpers and hood, plumbed in fire extinguisher. Moseley Motorsport has a few race M3's for sale also .

Dave, Road registering the car for the Ring, or ......?

Toby, Keep the pics coming,but not of that horrid Nova !   
What size discs are they you have there ?

Unless the weather is really bad a week before Easter , I'm going .
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2005 at 08:43
Coasting....I can do a little of the work, but have found a garage keen on my project and we have struck a little deal. The total cost so far including the purchase of the car, sale of it's unwanted parts and items purchased is £7,900. This should be about it to get it onto the track, apart from a few odds and sods, head gasket and bolts.

Brian... no pics for a while as the heads in germany, once it's back i will post a few more. The discs are 325x28mm. Monoblock calipers.

Edited by 215m3
Toby

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2005 at 09:39
That seems very reasonable!  I'll be following this this interest from now on (I have been to the Oakfields site too and the white M3 is very tempting but as I quite like my wife I think I'll give it a miss this side of Valentines Day...)

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic