Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedsecondhand car market - is it quiet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 14:46
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

I've just put Mrs D's car up. 

What's the replacement going to be? Something nice??

Sponsored Links

ballina123 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballina123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 14:48
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

Jon

Just out of curiosity, did the buyer push you hard on price?

I've just put Mrs D's car up.  The asking price is probably about right compared to what else is there but I'm just wondering what buyers expectations are at the moment as regards haggling.

Not really, a few hundred Euro less than I was asking. However I had dropped the price myself a couple of weeks previously, and it was the cheapest 02 car on carzone and cheaper than most 01 cars too (it was a june '02 reg).

As I said before I had more calls in the few weeks since I dropped the price than in the previous 3 months so I guess it all comes down to price!

Now where's that autotrader gone...... Leaving the money in the bank would be a waste!!!!
John M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 15:53

Originally posted by ballina123 ballina123 wrote:

Now where's that autotrader gone...... Leaving the money in the bank would be a waste!!!!

I know a nice E39 528i for sale ! 

flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 16:07
Buy a car quick. I had a fortune in the bank and nearly ten grand was spent on silly things and I still have to buy a car.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 16:16

Originally posted by JohnH JohnH wrote:

What's the replacement going to be? Something nice??

John, probably just come up a couple of years so an e46, maybe a 318Ci if I come across the right one.  Will do the UK thing again but because we have the 325i I can let this one go before finding the replacement.  I've been floating the question of alternatives to a BMW just to check but she's happy to stick with the propellor.

Having said that, I have a flight booked to the UK tomorrow to look at a couple of cars including an e34 530i V8 manual, but I don't think she'd drive that one!  Not sure yet which car any purchase might replace.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 16:19

I have a copy you can borrow!  I see you still have the Corrado too.  Every time I see it it makes me think.  I've had a soft spot for them for a long time and a couple of near misses with buying one.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
ivanovoitch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Where did all the white water come from?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanovoitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 16:59

Finally, Its sold,

Hurray!

I'm being a bit nosey here, but you might just have the key to my stuck 316.

Did you have to go far from the asking price to close the deal?

Did the buyer deffo come from Carzone?

How much info did you give them over the phone?

I'm at 1800 views. Three viewings (all with cars to sell first so no surprise that none have been back since) and  it's been up two months.
ballina123 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballina123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 17:27
Originally posted by ivanovoitch ivanovoitch wrote:

Hurray!

I'm being a bit nosey here, but you might just have the key to my stuck 316.

Did you have to go far from the asking price to close the deal?

Did the buyer deffo come from Carzone?

How much info did you give them over the phone?

She Definately saw it on carzone, and I paid only a few hundred less than the asking price, however as I said above I had dropped the price to a very reasonable rate (cheaper than most cars a year older!)
I answered any questions she had over the phone. It all comes down to price I think.

I think dealers are knocking big money off their forecourt prices for cash buyers, so private sales need to be cheaper still.

I know of two people who recently bought '02 and '03 cars from dealers and both knocked off around 20% - 25% from the asking price! So for someone to buy privately with no warrenty you've got to set your asking price at 20% less than a dealer asking price!
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanovoitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2006 at 20:49

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanovoitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2006 at 20:51
Mmmmmm...interesting...

bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 03:47
Something that might interest...

Approx 70% of all BMWs I've been asked to check in last 6 months have been clocked...
100% of UK imports have been...

Approx 60% of all Mercedes I've been asked to check in last 6 months have been clocked...
100% of UK imports have been...

Had 5 yesterday alone...

BMWcare

bmwcare@eircom.net

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 08:22
Its not illegal to sell a clocked cara, nor is it illegal to clock it. Its just illegal to not disclose the fact that it has been clocked.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 14:21
Agreed... But be careful...
You've got some chance with Irish cars, however, with imports...

Take this example:
1. Person A in the UK buys a car and gets the odometer "corrected" [no disclosure]
2. Person B [from Irl] buys the car in good faith not knowing
3. Person C buys the car from person B in good faith
4. Person C finds out it was clocked...

Who's liable??? Is perfectly innocent Person B liable???
Yes. [and he must try to get redress from Person A in UK]

BMWcare

bmwcare@eircom.net

PS: Showing a service history can be seen as "guaranteeing" the mileage [depending on what barrister you talk to]

Edited by bmwcare
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 15:42

@bmwcare: Are you able to tell if the car has been clocked just by reading the on board diagnostics? If so how much does it cost? How long does it take, and can you come out to inspect a car or does it have to be brought to your garage?

1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 18:56
Yes, in most cases you can.

Modern BMWs store the mileage in lots of places:
Cluster, IKE, EWS, Keys, Autobox...

I generally do it for the trade - send me your email address & I'll send you the trade flier...

BMWcare

bmwcare@eircom.net

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 19:13
Cool. How very clever of BMW. How long have they been doing it? I'm looking at some '94-'95 e36 M3's at the minute. Luckily though they seem to have very good service history's.
bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2006 at 20:44
Clever it is, however it's not foolproof...

They're doing it circa 97ish...

Peugeot 607 & Volvo S80 are much better - I'm told they store mileage in the strangest of places.

Bear in mind you can have a genuine mixup - say, for example, a faulty cluster, LKE etc. In that case it's the only way to get everything to match.

If ANY manafacturer wanted to make it foolproof - they could... The only reason they do it at all is for warranty [in my opinion]. About €5 euro per car and they'd have them tamperproof -at least to the level it wouldn't pay to tamper with them...

Reason they don't? Residuals are kept high by clocked cars and as long as they're out of warranty - they don't give a sh*t...

BMWcare
bmwcare@eircom.net
nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nn_dd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 08:53

Originally posted by bmwcare bmwcare wrote:

1. Person A in the UK buys a car and gets the odometer "corrected" [no disclosure]
2. Person B [from Irl] buys the car in good faith not knowing
3. Person C buys the car from person B in good faith
4. Person C finds out it was clocked...

Who's liable??? Is perfectly innocent Person B liable???
Yes. [and he must try to get redress from Person A in UK]

BMWcare

bmwcare@eircom.net

I went to the cops, was told tough merd !

Nothing more they can do if the car and "clocking" originated from the UK.

E39 530d Touring

BM Fan View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BM Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 09:59
I'm considering the UK also but would be looking for 05 (sub 20k miles) and it would have to have the complete dealer service history with verified mileage.

@bmwcare - I thought I read somewhere that if there is a mileage dicrepancy in a BMW between the key and the car, the display will show a "red dot" beside the mileage. Can you confirm that.
Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

bmwcare View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwcare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2006 at 17:10
The red dot issue is varied & strange - I've never seen it to happen too easily but have seen it.

To answer your questtion - NO.
You can have different mileage on the keys/LKE/IKE and no red dot. You can also have a red dot when they match...

BMWcare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic