FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCreaking noise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creaking noise
    Posted: 07-August-2004 at 10:39

Just had a 20 point service done at a local garage, it was a special offer and the car got an oil change and a good going over. Basiscally that was all that I wanted at this point.  I noticed prior to it going in that I was getting a creaking noise coming from the front. This was confirmed in the report from the garage that my O/S/F droplink is creaking. As this garage was a Toyota dealer I didn't take it any further as they wanted over £100 to put new front pads on.

Before I go to my usual mechanic what part of the front suspension am I needing and can I replace it easily myself.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2004 at 11:42
A creaking noise would normally just mean that something needs lubricating, if you have worn suspension components you would get either a clunking/rattling noise or vibration through the steering wheel. But i may be wrong

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

520ian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2004 at 22:55

front drop links are bars about 8" long with a ball joint at either end. Cost of these drop links is £12.35 + VAT each. They are held on by a nut at either end, one through the anti roll bar and one through the lug attatched to the suspension leg. Really easy job for the home mechanic.

Ian.

my 520i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2004 at 22:57

There is a noise coming from the front. I have had knocking sounds before and had a couple of links replaced which cured the problem then but its the mechanic who looked at the car last week wrote in his report that the O/S/F droplink was creaking. 

my 520i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2004 at 23:07

Thanks for the reply's guys. Like I said I got a couple of links replaced on the front last year. I'll take it back to my usual garage next week and see them.

Could it be that one of the parts fitted last year has gone already?

Ian 

1992 520i SE Auto
520ian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2004 at 23:11

leave the car sat on the ground and turn steering on full lock to left, grab hold of drivers side droplink, try to twist droplink, should feel quite a bit of resistance, now repeat procedure for other side wheel. If there is no resistance felt then renew links.

Ian 

my 520i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2004 at 23:19

I'll try and look tomorrow. Got to admit though that without a manual to guide me I might be a little lost. You have described them before so I should be able to recognise them.

1992 520i SE Auto
my 520i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2004 at 18:11

With wife having the car today just had a chance to check out the links. Going by your description found the link and done what you said. It doesn't do anything when I try and twist it.

If I was to change this part was the price was the price stated for an original part and do you know the part number. Also would the nuts have to put on to a specific torque setting

I will be doing my brakes shortly and would like to have a go at sorting this problem while I had the wheel off.

1992 520i SE Auto
520ian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 13:48

price given wasn't a B.M.W. original part. Dont need to torque the nuts up as long as they're tight. Droplinks can be sourced at any good motor factors outlet and the part you're looking for is "front anti roll bar drop links". Hope this is of some help.

Ian

520ian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 13:58

By the way Ian, have just replaced front pads on my 520i se, price of pads £14.67 + VAT, took 15mins per side, huge saving for you if you do it yourself!

Ian.

my 520i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 14:02
[QUOTE=520ian]

the part you're looking for is "front anti roll bar drop links"

I had to get these replaced last year (around £18 +vat each, 14000k on the clock since then) as I was getting a knocking sound coming through. If they put cheap alternatives on could they have gone already. The garage I use is not a BMW main dealer but is part of the John Clark group who are.

Because it is more of a creaking sound instead of a knocking I am beginning to think there may be another problem. 

Ian  

1992 520i SE Auto
my 520i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 14:06

been pricing pads and have yet to come across anything as cheap as that, where did you get them

Ian   

1992 520i SE Auto
520ian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 14:14
Dont know what part of the country you're in, but have you ever heard of the ANDREW PAGE GROUP? if so then that is the place you need to be.
520ian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 14:35
Because the ball joints on the droplinks are spring loaded, they can give out the creaking noise you describe before they wear so much and give the knocking noise. The drop links can give up the ghost at anytime and there are several factors for this, maybe a case of cheap alternative, maybe some roads you travel on have bad surface or heres a fact no mechanic will ever admit to, maybe the rubber boot over the ball joint on the drop link has been nipped when fitting causing a slight tear and allowing the ingress of dirt or water and thus causing premature failure!! Has been known to happen, many times!
my 520i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 14:48

I'm up in Scotland never heard of The Andrew Page Group. Cheapest pads I've come across were Halfords at just under £18. Ferodo were just over £23.

As the links can go at any time and as they are so cheap I'll buy a pair and fit them. When I come to do it is it just a case of removing the old ones and fitting the new ones or is there anything else I have to do.

Ian   

1992 520i SE Auto
520ian View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 15:08

only thing you need to do is soak the threads in wd40 or the like, then just a case of take off nuts renew link and tighten up. If you get a problem taking old links off (seized nut etc), pair of mole grips gripped on top of rubber boot always works!

Ian.

my 520i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2004 at 15:37

Cheers,

I,ve decided to give it a go, probably be next week before I manage to get around to it.

Looking at some of the other posts came across this site and it gives the procedure for replacing the links

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main.htm

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/suspension/sway_link.htm

Ian

1992 520i SE Auto
Savo View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
:-)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2004 at 20:49

Hi,

I'm about to change the pads on my e34 525i sport and was going to puchase these from my local BMW dealer.  Is there much difference in the quality of cheaper pads?  I like 'feel' of the brakes at the moment using the original pads.

Andrew

1992 525I Sport, Bilstein Sport Suspension. Viper 2 Chip
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2004 at 20:56
Originally posted by Savo Savo wrote:

Hi,

I'm about to change the pads on my e34 525i sport and was going to puchase these from my local BMW dealer.  Is there much difference in the quality of cheaper pads?  I like 'feel' of the brakes at the moment using the original pads.

Andrew

The OE pads are made by Textar and are available from Eurocarparts or GSF Car parts for around £28...Not sure how much the dealer would charge ?

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Hutch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2004 at 21:02

Creaking Noise

Did you grt it sorted ?

I had exactly the same problem only mine did it only when the air temperature gets hot.

Fitted a new drop link £17.00 from Euro parts and touch wood no more problem.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic