Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhow to keep thieves hands off ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to keep thieves hands off ??
    Posted: 27-February-2003 at 01:30

anyone got any ideas of how to keep some thiefing scum hands away from mine ( or ur own motor ) ?

is because we drive/own a bmw that we become a target? as if we are showing off, i just started a new job , and my car is a little nicer than some of the other guys i work with, am not saying they drive bad cars, its just they keep commenting on my car how nice it is , how can you afford it, blah blah.. its also parked in a park which am not well pleased with the lighting etc, as i work during the night i sometimes wonder is my pride and joy ok, am i paranoid here or what ?? IS A CHAIN STRONG ENOUGH TO TIE A BOAT AND A CLIFFORD ALARM GONNA STOP THESE STICKY FINGERS, OR AM I LOOKING AT BUYING A SCOOTER 4 WORK..... ONLY HAVE THE CAR TWO MONTHS AM TREATING IT LIKE A NEWBORN CHILD LOL

Sponsored Links

SteveJ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2003 at 11:08

I try to keep mine in full visibilty to every one ie right at the front, under lights etc so that the maximum amount of people can see it all the time, I'm not showing it off but if people are walking past all the time it puts off the thieves.

Also drive into parking places forwards and put whhels on full lock, it then takes the thief longer to get it out and puts them off.

If that dosn't put them off then 2000 votls through the door handles and fry the bas***ds.

Steve

SimplyRed View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2003 at 01:04
We buy these M3's because we love them so much but unfortunately so do the little tea leaves on the block.   

Maybe try sticking a 316i badge on it. No better security than an undesireable motor.

OK YES I AM KIDDING
B3nige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2003 at 07:40

1) Cliff' imob/alarm is excellent, combine it with a GPS/SMS device like the Trakm8 device. www.trakm8.co.uk 

This will SMS you when the arlarm goes off or the car is driven away; and then give you the GPS position of the car.

2) I would also add the a top, all over, steering wheel lock - like the Disklock. http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/intro.html. Ignore the simple bar ones, you can just cut around them. Only get the total cover ones.

3) Fit top wheel locking nuts - such as the McGuard and ACS ones. One of each type on each wheel is sufficient. Throw away the BMW ones, they are useless.

4) If you thing it is a very real problem, fit your own wheel clamp. http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/wheelclamp.shtml with a top padlock.

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2003 at 13:30

B3Nige has it about right............ although when they bypass the house alarm, take out the kitchen window, get into the house, get the keys all of the above is rendered useless.

Tracker proves handy for locating vehicle once abandoned after con rods have been driven through side of engine block! Not having a very good day

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2003 at 18:34

Derek

Sorry to hear of the damage to the engine. I assume that you finally got the insurance co to get it to ML.  I guess it's a new block? To look on the positive side (easy for me) , you will have an almost new engine after this, treat it well and what a joy it will be.

Kevin

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2003 at 16:40
Kevin, word is they might be able to salvage the spark plugs and little else! Car made it back to ML just waiting for the assessor to go and take a look. Current plan would be for a completely new unit from BMW (£10K fitted!!!), just hope there isn't anything else that suffered such as clutch or gearbox etc. as that would almost guarantee they'd write it off. Fingers, toes etc. crossed!!
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2003 at 18:20

Derek

Ouch…it’s amazes me that they could do so much damage. I suppose dropping it into first whilst at very high speed would do it (I had trouble typing that…it’s just hurts to think about the mindlessness of it).

If there is more damaged and they write it off then you could buy it back from the ins co and get it repaired at lower cost.

Have you spoken or visited ML (I know you are in Dublin), if they know it could be that you might lose the car then they may keep the costs down (I would hope). Do you have the option to get quotes from other places?

Good luck.

Kevin

stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2003 at 19:30

Derek,

check out www.bmwm5.com E34 forum,selling a crashed M5.

A guy from Sweden possibly selling a 3.8 130000km front damage, pictures posted, someone from America is already after the engine and other bits, but it might be worth a look as it would be easier to ship engine to Ireland than USA. hope this helps

stevie

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic