Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRear Light Failure Display ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Light Failure Display ?
    Posted: 01-August-2004 at 11:16

Wonderd if anyone could give me a bit of advice please !!

I keep getting a message on the dash board (display monitor) indicating that the drivers side rear light is out (or the brake light, whichever) . Yet when I check the bulbs they are fine. I have even changed the bulbs thinking they maybe dodgy. All the lights inc brake light, reverse light, indicators etc work fine.

It is a 1999 523 SEI auto.

I have had the car about 18 months it is absolutely spot on, the only other trouble I had was problem with the thermostat i.e. heater not working properly and you guys sorted that immediately.

Oh the other thing which I experienced recently was a groaning noise coming from the passenger side front suspension when the air temeprature gets very hot and you have the ac switched on, it appears to have been the anti-roll link tie bar which i replaced at a part cost of £17.00.

Would appreciate any help  on the electrical problem.

Regards

Hutch   

Sponsored Links

danio2020 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2004 at 12:21

Hi, have you checked the actual metal "circuit board" that the bulbs fit into, sometimes they can burn through, giving a poor contact at times, the system works on resistance, and if a poor contact id to blame this could cause the error messages you're getting.

If it is that you can probably solder the gap to improve connection, or its a new lamp unit.

Another possibility is a broken wire in the tailgate wiring loom, not very common on E39's though.

Hope that helps!

Hutch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2004 at 13:25

Cheers,

I have looked at the circuit board but will have a closer look. 

Regards

b8alk View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Andy K

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2004 at 16:03
hi this may sound silly but  if a bulb does not fit tight in the holder you will get that same prob i replaced a tail light bulb in my e34 and got that message it was a two bulb pack so i fitted the other all was ok on my way to work back it came tried to give it a wiggle like you do and broke it,called in to BMW brought a new one prob gone??? this was a while ago now but the bulbs i buy now come from BMW, this may  just of been luck?

Edited by b8alk
Ian :0 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2004 at 12:50

Hutch, A couple of things to try, as this has caught me out in the past. One of the lights (sidelights ?) is lit by two bulbs. If one's gone, then you get the warning. The other potential problem is the high level breaklight (in the back window). If this has gone, the display shows the driver's side light out.

I've had both of these and it's puzzling when you test them all with someone stood behind, only to find they all work.....until these two issues become apparent.

Ian.

Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic