FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTip for fixing the brake light circuit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tip for fixing the brake light circuit
    Posted: 30-July-2004 at 15:56

Was plagued by the "Brake light Circuit failure" warning on my E36's OBC.

Decided to take the plunge and fix it myself: bought the appropriate new switch for the brake pedal.

Removed the panel under the dash, spent 20 mins fighting to get the old switch out, but it wouldn't budge. Gave up, and put everything back where it was.

That was 3 weeks ago, and I haven't seen the OBC warning since. So my hot tip is "have a fiddle about before you rush out and buy the switch". In particular, make sure the red plastic collar is locked into place on the switch.

HF

Sponsored Links

kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2004 at 16:59
Good one Si, and you still have the new one ready for when the current one finally fails.

I'm not sure if it is the same switch as used in the E30 (61.31.8.360.420) but I changed mine a couple of weeks ago because I was getting fed up with the Check Control crying wolf and all is fine again.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2004 at 16:53

Mine used to (before I replaced the switch) come on nearly everyday, but then wouldn't appear till a month later.

I'll agree its a fiddly bu gger. I got tother half to press the pedal with engine running so I could the clip thing all the way out and remove it.

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
Defblade View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2004 at 21:17

Where as mine turned out to be a dodgy bulb in the rear cluster, happily before I bought the switch:)

I'd had trouble with the bulb holder contacts before , so I went to sand them clean again; when I put it back together, I got some circuit failure warnings still, but also "brake bulb failure". That bulb then refused to work in any holder or position, bu the bulb from the reversing light worked fine. The bulb was defiantley not blown across the filament, so must have come unsoldered inside the base (or something.....)

Just another way of saving Ł15!

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic