Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 318iS starting issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 318iS starting issue
    Posted: 28-July-2004 at 22:10

Hello guys... I have the following issue... hope you guys can help... after sorting out my long standing overheating issue (replaced thermostat and water pump), engine temp needle stays perfectly in the middle.. but now after driving around for few hours or after a 50+ miles motorway journey, I stop somewhere.... try to start the engine... turn the key and nothing happens... not even a click or turn or anything.... than usually I have to sit around whereever I am.. and have to weight for the temp needle to come down to about 1/4 and than try and it starts streight up... I can see it has somethin todo with engine/parts being hot... so... has anyone experienced this before?? could it be the coil... or starter motor??

last week drove all the way to leicester to get a nice E36 318is coupe(M reg, red,61000miles, £3100.. good deal.. huh??) for my cousin.... from london, no probs... get to leicester... and the bloody thing refused to start outside the sellers house... he ended up giving me a push start and thats how i got home from there, but at least has someone folowing me.... but i really have to sort this out... please help....

Sponsored Links

shafman View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2004 at 22:23
could be a couple of things battery up the creek or starter motor not putting charge back into the batt, get a bettery tester or get a electrical test done.should not cost to much.good luck.
bmw318is View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2004 at 22:34

cheers for the reply shafman.... but when the car cools down to 1/4 it starts normally... engine turns properlt... batter seems ok aswell... when starting up in the mornings... no problems at all... has always started up 1st time round... only after a longish drive the problem occurs..

kidsinister View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
The revolution will be televised.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2004 at 23:54

No sign of life at all would point to the engine earth - not sure why this would be troubled by temperature, but it's possible that the connection is compromised by heat, I suppose.

If you have a set of jump leads, next time it doesn't start, connect a substantial metal point on the engine to the battery earth and try starting.

Alec

Alec J. Wood

Tuppence 1985 Alpina C2 2.5
bmw318is View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2004 at 20:28

yes thats what i was thinkin about aswell... something todo with the earth... cause i  dont have any starting issues in the morning or when engine has been standing around for few hours.... but cheers for the feedback alec./..

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2004 at 14:04
Most likely to be the solenoid or the starter. Give it a whack with a hammer the next time to see if it helps...
moonraker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2004 at 09:34

Hi, this is my first post (but I posted same on the wrong thread - also a starter pb! sorry guys)! Info here is great! I hope I am not too late for your starter problem. It is a tricky one and reminds me of 2 things:

1. My beloved E30 318is also did not start at all (not linked to engine temperature though). Mechanic had to tow the car away thinking about changing the flywheel (£££'s). Luckily it was only the 'flywheel sensor' (whatever that means) at around £100 incl. towing! Maybe you could check your sensor? Your pb sounds more electronic than mechanical as it works sometimes ...

2. Funnily enough, your problem is more like the one I had with my other car, a Honda Accord (please do not laugh ...). The damn car failed to start whenever the engine was hot or ... if parked in the sun in summer!!! Then worked perfectly in winter! Unbelievable. After a few months we found out that it was the distributor - it got crazy as the temperature went up (engine's or exterior)! I changed it (the distributor: £300 new but £75 second hand) and problem was cured!

Even if not directly related to your pb, I hope my experience proves useful!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic