Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCrash helmets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2004 at 18:17
If you want to do hillclimbs (or any other motorsport) then your helmet must have fire resistant lining. Get hold of a Demon Tweeks catalogue (the red motorsport one) there is a good selection in there. As mentioned buying by post is a no-no, you need to try it on. Personally I prefer full face, just in case you try head butting the steering wheel but also if someone offers me a drive of a single seater / open sports car then I'm ready and waiting
Sponsored Links

piratepete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2004 at 19:05

Hi

you do not need a special helmet for motorsport at any level including international.  The standard required is snell 95 or BS 6658type A on buying a helmet you need a MSA approval sticker this can be purchased for a pound at any event from the scrutineer. If you buy from someplace like GP racewear the sticker wil already be in place but it is no hassle at all to get a sticker. You would find it quite difficult to buy a hemet anywhere that was not type A approved. I have checked these facts in the RAC bluebook.

As for specific car helmets the main difference is usually a bigger viewing apperture. On a purely personal note I have looked at the car specific helmets and visually they appear to be of lower quality than the main bike lids.

The most important thing is the fit some people fit agv helmets best some shoe etc, etc. They all vary from make the size written on them is not the whole story. If you have any doubt about bike lid watch the racing on the tely safely resisting a 150mph helmet tarmac interface seems a result to me.

Hope this helps if you want any further info on hillclimbing sprinting m3 pm me i will be happy to help

cheers

PIRATE PETE
mysteron35 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Kings Lynn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2004 at 22:16

A lot of good advice there , thanks ! . I've decided to go full face and have two wk's off work now so will hunt one down .

I've been round the Ring a few times as a passenger from my days working at mercedes in Stuttgart , and watched a few Uk track days but never driven myself .

Thanks Piratepete I may well pick your brains in the near future as I fancy the idea of hillclimbing my M3 , I've read a few articles about it and it sounds good ! .

Thanks all , Steve .    

Mags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2004 at 09:57

Another difference with bike helmets is the weight I believe, I compared my Arai with a mates who races Caterhams, he paid more than me but the bike helmet was lighter I guess because your more exposed to the wind?

Regarding the £50 lid for a £50 head, I personally don't really agree with this. From some bike magazine tests they have found that the cheapest Gold seal lid (less than £100) passes the tests easily, they have performed multiple drops on the lids from various heights with measuring equipment inside to see the stress placed on the wearers head, and even after multiple drops the lids are still far exceeding the required standard, but the advice is still to replace the lid if you drop it.

My personal experience is that the more expensive lids, ie Shoei, Arai etc are better made with better quality fittings/insides/vents
My current Arai gets worn every day for 2 hours, is 1.5 years old and still fits the same as the day I bought it (doesn't smell the same though )
The visor fit is also very good but this is less of an issue for cars I guess.
A previous Lazer lid was feeling very sloppy after a year or so of usage when it only got worn for about 20 mins a day.

All IHMO of course

Mags

'58 Austin Healey Sprite
'72 VW Camper
'95 BMW 540i Touring
'02 Suzuki SV650S
jamesrose View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2004 at 10:31

Again regarding the £50 lid for a £50 head, I don't agree either. On my recent trip to buy a helmet, I was told by an expert that all of the helmets conform to the same saftey standards therefore a £600 lid is no safer than a £50 one. The only difference is in the comfort / quiality of the lining materials....

This was coming from someone who was trying to sell me (a total 'lid' novice) a helmet, so I am sure that if he thought he could talk me into getting a more expensive one he would have done...

Edited by jamesrose

1990 E30 M3
www.m3bmw.co.uk
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2004 at 10:43

Steve, Now you are the proud owner of a fullface Helmet, its time to Run it in.BMW Car Club Better Driving Day, Donington 27th September.

Instruction for Newbie,s and your own group.Good circuit for your First M3 visit.Good advice about getting use to how the helmet feels on your head, when sitting in a car, Before you drive on a circuit day.

Pirate Pete, which Climbs do you drive please?? and is this in an Unmodified car??

SAFETYFAST
shoestring7 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2004 at 10:44

... and spare parts. If you need clips, visors, pads etc. you'll find someone like Arai have better customer service than smaller brands like AGV.

FWIW I've had Arai bike helmets for 10 years, and will be buying their open face version for track-days. Its a bit more expensive than most but so's my head

SS7

Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2004 at 13:02
one point worth mentioning - Demon Tweeks will send you a helmet and take it back if not happy with the fit - I beleive they'll do this for as many times as it takes to get it right - bit of a pain but useful if you live in outer hebrides etc
pualo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2004 at 13:44
Originally posted by PikeyM3 PikeyM3 wrote:

I think some Simpson  model of helmets are not road legal due to the angular chin design?

I personally wouldn't want to wear an open face helmet in any car, just think what would happen to your jaw and nose when a peice of interior trim hits you hard in the face!

Pikey

You are ineed right that they are illegal for road use in this country, due to the size of the visor opening. However, they should be the choice of the discerning lunatic as they are very well made - just look at the thickness of the visor. It looks like it has been carved from the perspex off an old bus shelter.

They fit better if you have a mullet haircut, camoflage trousers and a denim jacket with the sleeves cut off though.....

rr_ww View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2004 at 18:35
Originally posted by jamesrose jamesrose wrote:

Again regarding the £50 lid for a £50 head, I don't agree either. On my recent trip to buy a helmet, I was told by an expert that all of the helmets conform to the same saftey standards therefore a £600 lid is no safer than a £50 one. The only difference is in the comfort / quiality of the lining materials....

This was coming from someone who was trying to sell me (a total 'lid' novice) a helmet, so I am sure that if he thought he could talk me into getting a more expensive one he would have done...

Yes and No. If it meets the standard then it gets the kite mark/gold sticker etc. But there are standards to that. The £50 one will probably just scrape through. The £400 one will exceed it. Also its the other features that you're paying for. The better the helmet the better the fit will be, the choice of visors/designs. But the major one is the ventilation. With all the vents open on my Arai (bike) you can feel the air circulating. On occasions its been too cold and I've had to shut a couple.
Rich.
kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2004 at 19:54
Another possible benefit of a more expensive helmet is that they weigh less, often quite a bit less.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2004 at 21:11
Originally posted by Badger 540 Badger 540 wrote:

You get a few funny looks sitting at the traffic lights with a helmet on...

The official excuse is that you're going for the new EU-standard MoT test, in which both car and driver are asked some very searching questions...

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2004 at 21:14
Originally posted by pualo pualo wrote:

You are indeed right that they are illegal for road use in this country, due to the size of the visor opening. However, they should be the choice of the discerning lunatic as they are very well made - just look at the thickness of the visor. It looks like it has been carved from the perspex off an old bus shelter.

Illegal, but popular with the "streetfighter" enthusiasts. And, errm, "Stig" fans.... *kof*

The visor is the standard one-eighth inch (3.15mm for us metric *groan* fellas) thick....

Originally posted by pualo pualo wrote:

They fit better if you have a mullet haircut, camoflage trousers and a denim jacket with the sleeves cut off though.....

I have none of the above

piratepete View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2004 at 22:00

B7VP

My e30 is a 215 spec with stiffer springs bilstiens and a Bexley remap it pushed out 225 on dyno but sadly went bang at goodwood few months back. It also has full cage,harneses and three sets of wheels and tyres.

Currently fitted another 190 spec motor for temporary measure and am building a 2.5lt with knife edge crank 276-284 schrick cams pauter rods je pistons big valve head and money permitting motec. Also planning to fit 3.9 diff guess it bread and water for the next year.

I run in the circuit driver speed championship and some additional hillclimbes. My home base is bournemouth.

If you need any help please contact me, but lets not hijack this thread.

cheers pete

PIRATE PETE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic