FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 M3 Alpha N

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 M3 Alpha N
    Posted: 22-July-2004 at 15:46
Has anyone got any experience or views on the Alpha N ECU set up to remove the Air Flow Meter ??
Sponsored Links

lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2004 at 16:39
Not directly, but know a number of people who have it and driven cars with it.

Firstly you need to ask yourself what you are trying to achieve, because on it's own it isn't going to make shed loads of power. It will improve the mid range drivability but it won't instantly add 50bhp.

Coupled to some head mods and big cams it will release good power, but you will be spending quite a bit to get those gains. Just cams and a remap will get you fairly close in terms of numbers, but then the next step will be some sort of Alpha N setup.
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2004 at 17:44
I have a little bit with the Maxx AN set up.

What system are you thinking about using?
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2004 at 19:08
Check the various threads on here and S14.net
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2004 at 22:22
have a look at this
MAXX Alpha-N
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Mike 90 M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2004 at 00:08

Originally posted by lancelotII lancelotII wrote:

Not directly, but know a number of people who have it and driven cars with it.

Firstly you need to ask yourself what you are trying to achieve, because on it's own it isn't going to make shed loads of power. It will improve the mid range drivability but it won't instantly add 50bhp.

Coupled to some head mods and big cams it will release good power, but you will be spending quite a bit to get those gains. Just cams and a remap will get you fairly close in terms of numbers, but then the next step will be some sort of Alpha N setup.

I was under the impression that getting rid of the AFM and using Aloha N would release a good deal of power on its own. Not 50 bhp but 25ish over the entire rev range? Is this wrong?

Edited by Mike 90 M3
2002SportEvo View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2004 at 07:50

Originally posted by M3Pilot M3Pilot wrote:

I have a little bit with the Maxx AN set up.

What system are you thinking about using?

It was the Maxx AN set up that i was thinking about.  Do they actually mak the Alpha N system or is it made by others ?  Have heard it is meant to make quite a difference to power output - especially lower down the rev range.  Also meant to sound pretty good with the AFM removed...

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2004 at 11:02
If you did nothing else to the car and just replaced the AFM the biggest improvement is in the torque curve. I have seen cars with Motech and no other mods and they make about another 10-15bhp but have nice torque curves. This makes mid speed driving much nicer but isn't going to unleash loads of top end power.

As i say, decide where you want to go with the car before spalshing out.

Here's a little resume of mods, costs and the results.

Custome Remap - Approx £250 - £350 - +10-20hp - much better cold starting and running, really makes the car scream. Better than expected.

Cams - Approx £1000 - £1500 - +15-25hp - Not worth it without a remap. Slight loss of low down torque, but once the engine is spinning really endows the car with lots of get up and go. More peaky, but you get that race car feel.

Alpha N - Approx £1500 - £2000+ - +10-20hp - Much nicer torque curve so normal driving is easier. Coupled with cams, will get you into the 250bhp+ club.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2004 at 12:10
Originally posted by lancelotII lancelotII wrote:

Alpha N - Approx £1500 - £2000+ - +10-20hp - Much nicer torque curve so normal driving is easier. Coupled with cams, will get you into the 250bhp+ club.

MAXX Alph-N will be below £1000 if you don't get the carbon airbox.
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2004 at 15:23
I think my Maxx AN was more like £600, I fitted it myself and did a bit of the mapping myself. But you really need to get it dyno tune for the full throttle stuff or get yourself a WB02 as the stock NB02 is only active up to 5k RPM.

I think a lot will depend on the spec of the engine to start with. It's not all about the peak figures. So a dyno might say you have gained only 10-15 bhp, but due to the much fatter torqure cure the car will be quicker overall.

I didn't exactly get much chance to experiance mine, but that's another story.
My impression was that the cars throttle response was so much better. It was instant even a very slight change in position, you could feel it. The car felt much nicer to drive and was also much stronger in the upper revs.
I think it's a great mod and would do it again. Infact I will be. The Maxx kit is great and you get everything you need in the kit. It's easy to install and remove if need be, and you don't have to destroy the car or cut wires if you don't want too. The only downside is that you can't adjust timing, so you have to get a custom map done at the same time to make the most of it. But if you look at the price of Motec which is probably at least double what the Maxx kit costs I think it's good value.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2004 at 16:03
Martin,
I don't think the ignition will be so important. There a plenty of chips available with a good ignition map and you set the fuel map up yourself. Of course a good dyno run with some ignition mapping might free one or two more horses, but at what cost? You haven't seen Johns car in action (others might tune in here)His car was never on a Dyno. Martin (MAXX manufacturer) has mapped it from the passenger seat with a WBO in 1.5 hours!
2002SportEvo View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2004 at 16:10

I assume that Maxx can supply a base map that would be pretty close to optimum - just needing fine tuning (depending on the engine spec of course)

Definitely interested

M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2004 at 16:17
Uwe,
I agree that it is probably better to map a car on the road as this is the conditions that it will be used in, and if you have a WB02 then you can cut out the middle man and do it yourself. I never had one fitted but did consider getting one as you can keep a good eye on it and change the settings if need be.
It is a great piece of kit and very user friendly.
I did try and do a bit of mapping myself, but it can be frustrating when people keep getting in your way and you don't have an Autobahn for some full throttle stuff LOL. The part throttle is the tough bit to get right and can be done to 95% with a NB02.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2004 at 16:18

MAXX Alph-N will be below £1000 if you don't get the carbon airbox.[/QUOTE]

Uwe, would you do it without ? I would question whether it is worthwhile without the airbox. Surely the issue with the AFM is the restricted airflow. Removing that and leaving the standard airbox seems a little pointless, but I guess it's down to personal preference/aims.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2004 at 17:59
I know a guy who run the MAXX with the standard plenum and it was doing well. I wouldn't go for a carbon box because of the noise. For a track car fine, as a daily runner? Don't know. Some tracks might not let you on with the induction noise like a DTM car as well. I believe that the different trumpets of the carbon airbox are responsible for most of the bhp gain. And the bigger volume will be a benefit for mid range. I prefer a proper airfilter and so far there isn't anything in place. Martin chopped a K&N Filter to suit the inlet. That was the best solution I have seen so far, but still not as good as the OEM filter. MOTEC and LENZ are running with the standard plenum and especially the LENZ kit is making some good power. But not a bargain.
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2004 at 18:23
Originally posted by 2002SportEvo 2002SportEvo wrote:

I assume that Maxx can supply a base map that would be pretty close to optimum - just needing fine tuning (depending on the engine spec of course)

Definitely interested

YOu get 3 base maps, one for a 2.3L, 215 bhp 2.3L and a 2.5L. They seem to all be somewhat on the rich side, but this is for safety. It's better that way than too lean
petesm3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2004 at 18:26
I have the maxx a-n without the air box. i used the snorkel and the the air box filter that bolts directly to it, the smallist part of the intake is 4in which is much bigger than standard, total cost under £1000,the car is much better than before mid range and throttle response is excellent, i would say about 10bhp at top end if your lucky and 15-20 in the middle, if you want more top end go for cams+remap, I try and post photos of the intake
Mike 90 M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2004 at 18:59

Originally posted by petesm3 petesm3 wrote:

I have the maxx a-n without the air box. i used the snorkel and the the air box filter that bolts directly to it, the smallist part of the intake is 4in which is much bigger than standard, total cost under £1000,the car is much better than before mid range and throttle response is excellent, i would say about 10bhp at top end if your lucky and 15-20 in the middle, if you want more top end go for cams+remap, I try and post photos of the intake

Cool.

But more importantly does it sound as good as the carbon box? Or close at least?

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2004 at 19:05
Originally posted by Mike 90 M3 Mike 90 M3 wrote:

Originally posted by petesm3 petesm3 wrote:

Cool.

But more importantly does it sound as good as the carbon box? Or close at least?

If the sound is the only thing you're after I can save you a lot of money. Butcher one of these 57i kits on your airflow meter and noise we go!
petesm3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2004 at 19:12
Yes the sound is there if thats what you after
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic