Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLots of woes, and no serious replies.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lots of woes, and no serious replies.
    Posted: 20-July-2004 at 14:29

I have recently bought a 99 E36 M3 Cabrio, and have realised that I have been ripped off. Apart from having to replace all brakes (yes, discs too)and tyres right away, all sorts of things have started to go wrong seemingly electrically. I'd like someone to tell me if they think they can be related.

climate control either unreliable or not working - (screen blanking out is only part of it)

wipers switching from slow wipe to a variable intermittent of it's own choosing

rough at 1800-2000 rpm.

This car has had a replacement motor due to the common Vanos problem.

Final comment:  for allegedly having 100bhp more than my previous car (totally reliable Fiat Coupe 20vt) it doesn't seem faster, and so far, so much for German reliability - at this rate I will not be in the fraternity for long!

Sponsored Links

Chris Miller View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 14:41
Hi

Did you get the car checked out before purchase and was it bought privately or from a dealer.

Chris.
mansfa View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 14:58
Out of interest have you had a new engine or just a Vanos? If the Engine is rough after a new vanos I would guess that it hasnt actually been changed?

let me gues was this car bought from a dealer based in a nice big wooden barn?
sbk1972 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 15:08

Hi all,

Sorry to hear about your car. What I would try to do is buy an extended warranty from BMW.  Say nothing about the problems, get a warranty, leave it a month, then go back.

I know that BMW warranties can still br brought for cars that have been out of the dealer loop, under certain conditions.

Ring up your local dealer and in a roundabout way, sniff out what the score is.

I have a 98 Evo convertible. Your perception of speed is different in this car than your old turbo fait. I also have a twin turbo supra, and turbo driving is different as the power comes in at different stages.

The M3 engine has all the power straight off, through the rev range.  Also, remember, its a convertible, so isnt going to be as quick as the coupe due to the weight.  Also, your vanos sounds [edited] ! that rough idle !! Well, IVe had that twice, on two previous `duff` vanos units.

Sounds like you've brought a problem there. Surely your dealer has given you some sort of warranty ?? If it was a private buyer ? mmmm your [edited] !! In that case, I would get it roughly going, dump it !!! Sell it on.  First lost is your least !!!!!  Vanos units = £1200 !!!!

SBK

edited to remove objectionable language, please read the forum guidelines, and the pm you have regarding this.

Edited by Nigel
rmaxibiza View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 15:54

Hi thanks for your interest.

Firstly, the car was bought privately, but I did manage to continue the warranty for £500. Secondly, your assertion, then, is that this warranty should cover the Vanos unit and/or Engine? The book says that it has a new engine "cost £8,500." Thirdly, what about these electrical faults, do you think these too are covered & and any ideas if they might be connected?

Thanks, I do understand about turbo/non-turbo, & coupes and cabrios.

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 16:07

Although I've never had any experience of the BMW warranty, my understanding is that it should cover any faults the car has. At the very least you should take it in to a dealer and get them to have a look at it.

If the engine is running a bit rough then it may be a bit down on power which may explain why it doesn't feel any faster than your fiat.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 17:18

-discs pads and tyres are all consumable items, and worn ones are fairly easily detected at the time of purchase. Likewise if it is not running right, down on power etc.

-the non-consumable things should be covered by your warranty anyway.

-dare I suggest 'caveat emptor'??

-even so you may have got a good deal, depending on how much you paid for your car.

-stick with it for a bit, see how you get on. Even if you have a few gremlins with it in the early stages, at least you can console yourself with the thought that the BMW is likely to be depreciating at about half the speed of the Fiat.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
still looking View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 22:47

If its a BMW warranty you have nothing to worry about, take her along to your local dealer and they will put everything right apart from the servicable items. I wouldnt complain about the discs and tyres etc as that should have came up when you agreed the purchase price.

if your not noticing much difference from your Fiat then the engine cant be running sweet. When its sorted you will notice a difference I can assure you.

Regards Mark.

Love driving my E36 EVO Tickety Boo

http://photobucket.com/albums/v513/MyM3evo/
RoryC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 23:12
If it is a Bmw warranty (does sound like it @£500), your sorted, you will be amazed what they will do, if you have trouble getting what you want go to a different dealer. Where are you based?
rmaxibiza View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 09:28

Thanks for everyone's interest, and yes it's the bona fide BMW warranty.

I am based in Aberdeenshire and, over many years of 2nd hand complex hi-performance cars, I have a built a healthy disrespect of main dealers. I think nothing of driving a couple of hundred miles to be disappointed by yet another "expert." The (glorious and reliable) Fiat Coupe was driven 150 miles to see a non franchised "carer." But, realising a) I have the warranty, b) that keeping the FBMWSH is probably a good idea, and c) having already a very average experience with BMW Aberdeen, I will try Eastern in Edinburgh (home town anyway) who by web posted accounts have a very fine reputation, but are damn expensive!

I just wish someone could tell me if they've had experience of the electrical gremlins. 

sbk1972 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 09:29

I think you need to confirm if its a BMW warranty or a Third party one.  My brother had a 3rd party warranty on his Subaru Impreza STI version 6, but it wasnt worth the paper it was written on. As there were limitations, conditions, and only allowed garages. So, you need to check this out.

BMW's warranty is a sliding scale, I think it only covers 85% of the car now.  I was lucky, I had the standard 3 yr BMW warranty when I brought the car new, and have just renewed it each year.  During that time IVe made full use of it, and had 2 x Vanos, 1x gearbox, 2 x rear diffs, 1 x steering rack, endless parts in the engine, 1 x clutch, various brake parts, and lots of other odds and sods.  Considering my car has only done 56k miles, not good. Compared to my Mkiv Supra tt, which Ive done a good 60 K, all thats broke there wasa window motor.

Also, go get the car checked over by a dealer. Would be worth the £200 just to find out whats wrong with it.

SBK

rmaxibiza View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 11:25

SBK,

Thanks, as I said already, it's a genuine BMW warranty which I renewed myself, as soon as I bought the car........I have the card etc etc.

Your record of replacement parts is not simply "not good" it's absolutely shocking, and certainly not what any knowledgeable car buyer would imagine about an M-tech BMW.

I have to say that I went into the M3 purchase with my guard down. Normally a buyer of performance Italians, I am usually, & justifiably, extremely cagey, but a BMW, who'd have thought they could be this bad? There was the urge to go back to RWD and the Elise is too uncomfortable for my mileage.

As I mentioned, I am getting the picture, and will book the car into Eastern in Edinburgh - who the websites say are very very good - and get an overview.

Rags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 11:27

the question is, how on earth did you part with your hard earned cash for a car that appears to be far from what it should be.

This is not a critism, more of an honest question.

rob123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 13:56

At least you can be content that you didn't purchase it from a 'nice little wooden barn' in the Home Counties, as 'mansfa' points out, pity though you could have joined the 'club'!

I haven't had any electrical issues with my vehicle, only mechanical. I do believe that once they are sorted you will be impressed with the vehicle.

Happy Motoring

sbk1972 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 14:40

Rmaxibiza,

I doubt you will have any issues with your warranty.  The only "sticking point" might be what they cover.  If the item comes under wear and tear, then they wont, however, if it has worn, prematurely, then they will, see the ambigiousness of it ? ;-)  I have a good relationship with my dealer, Chandlers in Angmering W Sussex, can never do enough for me, really helpful. Best of luck.

Yep, Ive had a few parts swapped out :-) But, show me any car that doesnt have its problems.  How much did u pay for your car ?  Remember, I brought mine new, and parted with a good £46K !!! Its only worth £15 tops now, but I still love the car.  ITs firm, its  got some much torque, and whne the roof is down, you cant help but smile.

I havent had many electrical issues with my one, however, I do have terrible problems with my radio, and establishing a good reception.  I removed the standard radio, and replaced it with an amp / song set up.  I just cant get a good solid radio station without crackle. IVe swapped the aerial for an electric one, swapped the aerial lead, everything, still the same. Anyone else have that issue ?

Get the car checked, when fixed, on a sunny day, roof down, Im sure you will be pleased. If not, then sell the car on. Perhaps a v6 alfa gtv convertible ? I like those !!!

If there's anything I can do to help, give me a shout.

SBK

rmaxibiza View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 15:41

SBK,

Thanks. I believe my one cost around 44k new, what with the hard-top etc. I also believe that original cost should, as much as anything else, be guaranteeing some reliability.

I have started to enjoy the car, after initial reservations regarding its weight and the weight of the clutch particularly, and sure, I do have the hood down at the first opportunity - currently daily if it's not raining. Having some back problems, I have taken weeks to get the seat comfortable. 

I am interested in what you did with the sound system. I am a big digital radio fan, and I would have liked to have thought there was a way to switch to that, but it seems not, (DAB sorts out the crackles). So, what's an "amp/song?"

I will get it all fixed, I am sure, it's just getting to that decent dealership. I am not afraid to spend the money. I like cars to be at least functioning perfectly.........so there's a bit of a list. After all it's eventually headed for a life in the sun!

TKS

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 16:23
Brucey,

"EAT MPV TO CARE"
what good is it going to do, for him to tuck into ford galaxy? . . .
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 18:41

Originally posted by 215DMX 215DMX wrote:

Brucey,

"EAT MPV TO CARE"
what good is it going to do, for him to tuck into ford galaxy? . . .

-mmm, tasty Galaxy....   bit too surreal for a wednesday evening, that....

-However, this thread plus others does rather beg the question 'are modern cars just too complicated????'. I for one am disappointed but not surprised when I have electrical gremlins on an older car- everything is well-past its sell-by date. But there are lots of people who seem to have seemingly intractable electrical problems on much newer vehicles, and I think this is pretty inexcusable.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Deathace View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Don’t stick keys in electrical sockets.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 19:51

The build quality doesn't seem to be high on many of the manufacturers agenda more so recently than years ago. I used to buy new cars and more and more over the last few years they seem to be getting worse. I decided to go and buy and older car and have had so much more enjoyment out of it because its been built to high standards that i can ignore the fact its 14 years old.

Russ

1990 535i SE Auto Metallic Glacier Blue, Low Mileage,
M-Tech Bodykit, Full Leather & Various Custom Mods.
sbk1972 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2004 at 07:31

Rmaxibiza,

Hi again.  "Amp/song" is meant to be "amp/sony".  Your soon get used to my poor written english. 11 years working on unix systems has totally made me iliterate and only able to write simple commands :-)

If you are planning to upgrade your m3's stereo, I would very much comfirm with the company you plan to use, that they have done an M3 CAB before.  I didnt, and my installation cost me £3K, and its was rubbish.

I have a rockford amp, sub in the boot, which is usless due to the huge sheet of metal running across behind the rear seats. You just cant hear it.  Yeap, you can remove the ski hatch, but not much better.

Due to the size of the speakers and holes in the rear cards, you really cant get big speakers in there either.  Fronts are upgradeable, tweaters in the doors, and speakers in the footwells.

As my M3 id my second car,  I live with the problem wit hthe stereo / radio, as I listen to Trance via cd's all the time.  If it was my main car, then I would sort the radio out with something better.

Sitting here, I really cant think of anything that has blown or gon wrong, electrically.  Mind you, Im quite good with the spanners and have totally rip out the interior, when I re-routed the stereo amp wires. Internally, the M3 is just a basic 3 series. Dash, etc all comes out easy. 

Funny you said about the seats, 6 years dow nthe line, I still cant honesty say my car is comfortable. I wish the steer wheel had in/out adjustments, aswell as the up and down. Also, wish I spec'ed for electric seats for that fine adjustments.   This is why Im in the market for an electric drivers seat. Also, looking for some 18 inch schnitzer wheels.  I also find the steering wheel too thin, doesnt feel sporty. My mates' got a R32 golf, and his steering wheel feels lovely.

SBK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic