Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOW MUCH!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOW MUCH!!!!!!!
    Posted: 14-July-2004 at 15:24

At the weekend, near my Northern home of Preston, I saw a W reg. (1981) 635 CSi in good condition, interior looked the worse for wear in parts, making me doubt the 63,000 miles on the clock.

Body colour was bronze, interior all black leather.  Let's assume the 63K was genuine mileage, why was the screen price £2,750!!!?  I Initially thought it said £750, hence the reason I pulled over for a look.  I was taken aback by the price.

Why so dear?

Paul DH
1994 E38 "Proud owner of a "3/4 engined E37.9 that's almost a real car with real paint...WITH 6 WASHER JETS!"
1989 520i (E34) Gone
1988 320i Coupe (E30) Gone
1995 520 Estate (E34) (Wife)
1992 320i SE OBC (E36) (Wife) Gone
1988 320i Saloon (E30) (Wife) Gone
Sponsored Links

m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2004 at 16:49

I was driving past Commerce Car Co. in Paisley, near Glasgow and saw a nice looking black F registration Highline stickered up at £4999.  "Must be clean at that price, I'll go and have a look.", I think to myself. 

Gorgeous car.  Immaculate black Highline with unmarked Lotus leather and virtually impossible to fault apart from a couple of missing tools, nothing that I could see to use as a bargaining lever.  The 24000 miles is guaranteed and warranted and backed up by a full dealer service history. Oh, and the sticker price is £14999, not £4999!

Is this the dearest 635CSi  currently on offer?

Edited by m3Cecotto
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2004 at 16:55

Have a look at barneys website:

www.munichlegends.co.uk

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2004 at 19:12

-they have been touted as a 'modern classic' for years. And they are nice cars- I own one (an early '87 635CSi).

-but there are some for sale at silly prices, no mistake. I'm not telling how much I  paid for mine but it wasn't in the sort of price territory mentioned above (but then I still need to sort a few things out, too, so maybe you pay for what you get).

-I suspect part of the reason for high prices is the lack of a 6 series for the last 15 years. Given that the 8 series isn't everyone's cup of tea, this has left a gap in the market for a BMW coupe with comfort, good looks and good (rather than brutal) performance.

-it'll be a few years before used versions of the new '6' fill this gap (and maybe they never will, what with its, er, 'challenging' looks.....

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Goldryder View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2004 at 19:24

There is a red one for sale in the Midlands for £13995.

Mine is thankfully no where near that though, or I think it would probably grow roots where it stands.

October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2004 at 22:58
Originally posted by m3Cecotto m3Cecotto wrote:

I was driving past Commerce Car Co. ...black F registration Highline..the sticker price is £14999, not £4999!

Is this the dearest 635CSi  currently on offer?

It probably is, and Commerce Car Co. have had this car on their books for months.

If you do a nationwide search on Auto Trader, you will find that this car pops up quite often...

Edited by Horsetan

Old shape! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2004 at 15:36

Sheesh!  The £2,750 seems cheap then!  If anyone wants it, it is in between Preston and Blackpool, on Blackpool Road, Lea Gate.  The Texaco garage opposite the motel.  I have nothing to do with the sale.

As for replacing the 6, they can never match the looks.....that shark-nose, that style, those lines and that panache!  New cars look like they have been designed by Japanese Comic Strip artists.  Headlights like unfeasibly large eyes, and pointless pointy bits.  More akin to Saturday morning TV or the Tate (Tat) modern.  That's just my opinion, don't let my experience: knowledge: skill and good taste be mistaken for cynicism.  <VBG>

(But hey....if I won a new 5 series, I wouldn't complain!!)

Paul DH
1994 E38 "Proud owner of a "3/4 engined E37.9 that's almost a real car with real paint...WITH 6 WASHER JETS!"
1989 520i (E34) Gone
m3Cecotto View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2004 at 16:03

Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

It probably is, and Commerce Car Co. have had this car on their books for months....

And at that price are likely to have it on their books for some time yet, no matter how good it is. I'd be interested to know what they paid for it though........£7000?  £7500? £8000?  More?

Edited by m3Cecotto
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2004 at 20:14
Originally posted by Old shape! Old shape! wrote:

...As for replacing the 6, they can never match the looks.....that shark-nose, that style, those lines and that panache!...

They can never match the looks because ever stricter "safety standards" (read "more rounded, more weight") mean that the shark's nose would not meet current legislation...

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2004 at 20:15
Originally posted by m3Cecotto m3Cecotto wrote:

And at that price are likely to have it on their books for some time yet, no matter how good it is. I'd be interested to know what they paid for it though........£7000?  £7500? £8000?  More?

Never mind, I'm sure there's another Ross Harris out there....

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2004 at 18:12

High prices?  The Six has been chronically under priced for years. After all a 1988 model was the same price as a 911 Carrera 3.2. They now fetch £15 – £20k in decent nick.

A well sorted Triumph Stag in good condition is over £10k so why should a Six in similar order be £4k ???

A £4k Six will have £4k repairs waiting in the wings (no pun intended!) so it becomes an £8k Six.

I got mine from Munich Legends & paid accordingly because it was to be my only car & I didn’t want to worry about having to do a rolling restoration. Its condition was as good as could be expected with 60k miles but it still needed £3k of work to make it top notch. And it still isn’t perfect!

£750 wouldn’t even buy a set of wheels & tyres so what kind of Six would it get you?  Prices are polarising between the wrecks & the really tidy examples.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Old shape! View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 08:24
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

Originally posted by Old shape! Old shape! wrote:

...As for replacing the 6, they can never match the looks.....that shark-nose, that style, those lines and that panache!...

They can never match the looks because ever stricter "safety standards" (read "more rounded, more weight") mean that the shark's nose would not meet current legislation...

You sure?  There are far more pointy things on the road - and they are ugly too.  I mean, who would want a pointy Ford GT40, at 4mpg?  But seriously, the modern trend towards facsimile sports cars invites more danger to the pedestrian than a stately 6.  And, the shark nose isn't exactly pointy, I mean it isn't like a cutting edge (Like the old motorbike number plates).  If you get hit at say 20mph, the damage done to leg/hip is not going to be different between being hit by a 6 or a van.

Ah well, at £2,750 purchase + lord knows what spares cost, it can stay looking good on the forecourt.

Paul DH
1989 520i (E34) Gone
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 09:16
Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

High prices?  The Six has been chronically under priced for years. After all a 1988 model was the same price as a 911 Carrera 3.2. They now fetch £15 – £20k in decent nick.

Surely you mean the M6, not the 635CSI.

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

A well sorted Triumph Stag in good condition is over £10k so why should a Six in similar order be £4k ???

And the Triumph stag is a truely awful car especially with the original V8 engine.  

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 17:39

-ahh, the Stag.... with built-in rust from day one.... they used to take unpainted bodies for a short drive to another factory to be painted and built up. In all weathers, on a flatbed waggon....

-ah, those cam chains, made of finest cheese, those lovely crossed cylinder head studs, made for seizure....aluminium wheel nuts (!!!!) ditto..... a 'design classic' all round....they don't make them like that any more.......

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 17:49

1988 635CSi- RRP 36.9K,  M6  RRP 45.8K, 911 Carrera Coupe, RRP 37.97K.

-and which is a VW beetle with one and a half engines in it?? Seems amazing to me that a) Porsches work at all in the first place, and that b) they hold their value so well. They don't seem to rot overly, but it is still very very odd indeed......

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 21:32
Originally posted by Brucey Brucey wrote:

....Seems amazing to me that a) Porsches work at all in the first place, and that b) they hold their value so well. They don't seem to rot overly, but it is still very very odd indeed......

Well, galvanised panels did help....

If only Sixes could have had galvanised wings.....

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 10:24

What gets me is the price of MG's. I know they have a following, but they are exspensive compared to a six, less pretty, not fast, worse on fuel and go wrong more often yet they comand a price of 6K+ for a good one which is 5X worse than a bad six.

Sixes and CSL's for that matter are and have always been a bit of a classic car bargain.

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 17:47
Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

What gets me is the price of MG's. I know they have a following, but they are exspensive compared to a six, less pretty, not fast, worse on fuel and go wrong more often yet they comand a price of 6K+ for a good one which is 5X worse than a bad six.

Not so at the moment. I know a guy with an absolutely mint MG, maintained to an obsesive degree. For example the radiator was replaced because some of the cooloing fins were damaged. Anyway he had it up for 6K, no takers, up for 5k, no takers,  now up for 4K and still no takers. The car market is really flat at the moment.

Edited by Peter Fenwick

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 17:52
Originally posted by Brucey Brucey wrote:

1988 635CSi- RRP 36.9K,  M6  RRP 45.8K, 911 Carrera Coupe, RRP 37.97K.

-and which is a VW beetle with one and a half engines in it?? Seems amazing to me that a) Porsches work at all in the first place, and that b) they hold their value so well. They don't seem to rot overly, but it is still very very odd indeed......

Wow, I never knew that the M6 was more than a Porsche 911 when new!

The 911 is an absolute classic and holds it's value because of this. I have always loved them especially the 993 and will own one as soon as I can afford too. I don't understand why the 6 series doesn't hold it's value as well.

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 19:01
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Surely you mean the M6, not the 635CSI.

And the Triumph stag is a truely awful car especially with the original V8 engine.  

I mean both were/are classics.

The Stag is not "truly awful" at all! It was intended to have the Buick/Rover V8 from the start but they couldn't produce 'em fast enough to cope so developed their own.  Most of the Stags engine problems stemmed from a poorly positioned waterpump & poor maintenance. Remember cracked heads on early M30 engines?

Rust was a problem on all 1970's cars & the Stag was better than most - look how many survive. It was certainly better than early Sixes.

Incidently, I'm led to believe the last Sixes were part galvanized hence the 6 year corrosion warranty.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic