Forum LockedOil service Vs MOT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2004 at 15:11

The service was done by my local BMW speciallist. The brake pipe in question is so corroded because it is a lot older than the others. In order to change it you need to drop the petrol tank so I am guessing that it was left when the others were renewed (the others are in perfect nick).

I had not noticed the car pulling to one side, but I did have a vibration through the steering wheel when braking and on initially hitting the brakes the wheel would twitch slightly to one side. The also had developed quite a loud squeak. I have since stripped, cleaned and copper slipped both front brakes (something I omitted to do when I fitted new discs and pads, Doh!) and they are now a lot better i.e no vibration etc. I am going to bleed them tonight, weather permitting, so when it is retested they should be spot on.  

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

BMBoy View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2004 at 14:07
Sounds like you took your car to a BMW dealer for its service! My local garage service all makes of cars (that old dealer thing re warranty affected if serviced elsewhere no longer applies partly because of EU rules etc) and the very first thing they do is to remove all of the wheels and they check the brakes/pads etc, just as a matter of routine and because they value their customers, and they think about safety.

I read a complaint story in Auto Express/Watchdog section a few weeks ago where someone who takes their BM to a dealer, had a brake problem because BMW don't as routine (like my good garage) check the brake pads etc and only take off the wheels as a separate (to be paid extra) job!

Apparently what they do is check them via a machine which gives an 'average' reading so that he found to his cost that the pad on one side was worn down and the other was not bad so the BMW average reading said they were 'OK'!!

BMW are generally very greedy and this is shocking not to be able to bear your customer's safety in mind.

In a survey just a couple of weeks ago it was found that one dealer in Chelsea charges £153 PER HOUR to service a car!! My local dealer who is far more thorough and caring, charges £30 an hour and you know you are safe to drive your car.
BMBoy View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2004 at 14:05
deleted - posted twice as message appeared "page not available" when in fact although it disappeared it had printed my reply!

Edited by BMBoy
dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2004 at 13:41

Was it a BMW dealer that did your service?

For an oil service they do a quick check underneath, but probably not as thoroughly as an MOT. Sometimes MOT stations can more picky as the pipe maybe rusty but solid. Is there a cause for the rusty pipe? - missing cover that stops excess road dirt from attacking it, coolant etc leaking onto it.

Oil service - Oil & filter, possibly air filter, then check things over, but a basic service at that.

i've seen rusty brake pipes which are solid, that a wire brush and waxoil won't cure.

41% difference? surely that would have been noticed when braking, as the car would want to steer to oneside.

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2004 at 13:11

Thanks for the reply Brucey. My services are comming up about every 9K which I cover in 7 - 8  months. I will have to look in the service book to see if you are supposed to get either an inspection 1 or 2 done every year. Even if this is the case you would have thought that the minor service would include an inspection of brake lines. After all they did have a look under the car since they noticed a snapped exhaust bracket.

Anyone know exactly what is supposed to be done for the oil service? 

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2004 at 21:38

- don't have details of BMW's own version of their service schedule, but the version recommended by Haynes for older 3 and 5 series cars lists;

-oil service every 6000miles or 6 months, (whichever is sooner) . Includes oil and filter, PAS level check, ATF level check (auto), tyre rotation, underbonnet hose check (incl. brake hoses to master cylinder and ABS unit, and lines from the fuel pump), 'v' belt check, idle speed check, CO check. 

-every 12000 miles or 12 months (whichever is sooner) a bigger service which includes an inspection of the braking system. Also recommends inspection of brake lines etc every time a wheel is removed for whatever reason.

The above will be based on, but presumably not identical to BMW's schedule. If you are not doing too many miles its not a bad idea to have the recommended 'annual inspection' service routinely before the MOT if you are sticking with dealer servicing, I would say.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2004 at 20:57

After having an Oil service done on Friday I took my car for it's MOT on Saturday. Since it had just been serviced I expected it to get through, so imagine my supprise when it failed. It failed on a brake pipe, which was very corroded and the balance of the front brakes. There was a 41% difference in the stopping power of the two front wheels.

Am I wrong in thinking that these things should have been picked up on the service? I know it's only a minor service but I would have though that as a minimum things like brakes would be thoroughly checked.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic