Make : BMW

Model : 330d Sport

Year : Jan 2004

Engine Size : 2993

Engine Type : Diesel (Turbo)

Gearbox : Automatic

Mods : None

Current Mileage : 10k

Firstly what oil would you recommend for this engine ... the best quality.

Secondly, I really want to look after this car/engine and basically hold onto it for at least 5 years and expect to do around 20k miles per year.  In my opinion BMW have stretched the limits now, with services only occurring every 15k.  I therefore plan to do an additional oil change every 7-8k, and imagine this will "look after the engine better".

Do you think this is worthwhile ?

Again what Oil would you recommend ?

I don't want to cut corners as I'm doing additional Oil Changes ... I'm just trying to really look after the engine and ensure trouble free motoring.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links

oilman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2004 at 13:35

Stuart,

In reply to your question BMW only recomend an LL01 approved oil for your car. Would suggest look at the following oils on our website.

Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 0w-30 (fully syn)

Castrol Formula SLX       0w-30 (fully syn)

Castrol RS Power           0w-40 (fully syn)

Mobil 1                           0w-40 (fully syn)

You can e-mail us for prices at sales@opieoils.co.uk

Specs here; http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

Cheers

Simon.

Use the code BAVBOARD and get 10% Club Discount
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
Phone: 01209 202944
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2004 at 22:39

For those of you that enjoy a good old read, this is heavy going but well worth it!

Building a good oil.

It is impossible to make a good 5w-40 or even 10w-40, using only mineral oil. The base oil is so thin, it just evaporates away at the high temperatures found in a powerful engine that is being used seriously. Although there are chemical compounds in there to prevent oil breakdown by oxygen in the atmosphere (oxidation) they cannot adequately protect vulnerable mineral oil at the 130 degC plus sump temperatures found in a hard working turbocharged or re-mapped engine.

The answer to this is synthetics. They are built up from simple chemical units, brick by brick so as to speak; to make an architect designed oil with properties to suit the demands of a modern engine.

The synthetic myth

The word “synthetic” once meant the brick by brick chemical building of a designer oil but the waters were muddied by a court case that took place in the USA some years ago. The outcome was that the right to call heavily modified mineral oil “synthetic” was won. This was the marketing executives dream; the chance to use the word “synthetic” on a can of oil without spending much extra on the contents!

Most lower-cost “synthetic” or “semi-synthetic” oils use these “hydrocracked” mineral oils. They do have some advantages, particularly in commercial diesel lubricants but their value in performance engines is marginal.

TRUE synthetics are expensive and in basic terms there are three broad catagories, each containing many types and viscocity grades:-

PIB’s (Polyisobutanes)

These are occasionally used as thickeners in motor oils and gear oils, but their main application is to suppress smoke in two-strokes.

The TWO important ones are:

ESTERS

All jet engines are lubricated with synthetic “esters” and have been for more than 50 years but these expensive fluids only started to appear in petrol engine oils around 20 years ago.

Thanks to their aviation origins, the types suitable for lubricants work well from

-50 degC to 200 degC, and they have an added benefit. Due to their structure, “ester” molecules are “polar”; they stick to metal surfaces using electrostatic forces. This means that a protective layer is there at all times, even during that crucial start-up period. This helps to protect cams, gears, piston rings and valve train components, where lubrication is “boundary” rather than “hydrodynamic”, i.e. a very thin non pressure-fed film has to hold the surfaces apart.

Even crank bearings benefit at starts, stops, or when extreme shock loads upset the “hydrodynamic” film.

Synthetic Hydrocarbons or PAO’s (Poly Alpha Olefins)

These are, in effect, very precisely made equivalents to the most desirable mineral oil molecules. As with “esters” they work very well at low temperatures and equally well at high temperatures, if protected by anti-oxidants. The difference is, they are inert and not polar. In fact, on their own they are hopeless “boundary” lubricants, with less load carrying ability than a mineral oil. They depend entirely on the correct chemical enhancements.

It is a fact that “PAO’s” work best in combination with “esters”. The “esters” assist load carrying, reduce friction and cut down seal drag and wear, whilst the “PAO’s” act as solvents for the multigrade polymers and a large assortment of special compounds that act as dispersants, detergents, anti-wear and anti-oxidant agents, and foam suppressants.

Both are very good at resisting high-temperature evaporation, and the “esters” in particular will never carbonise in turbo bearings even when provoked by anti-lag systems.

So, in conclusion, Ester gives the best protection and Ester/PAO combinations have great benefits because they work well together. They are more expensive but worth it if you wish to do the best for your engine.

Cheers

Simon

edowen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2004 at 12:21

Hi Simon, it's ex-rx8 ed here!

I'm confused - as the 2000 M5 manual definiately says 10-60 oil....

When I spoke to BMW they reccomended Castrol TMS I think - is that 10-60?

I've popped you an email, but I'd be interested to know what I should be topping up with....

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2004 at 13:23
Originally posted by edowen edowen wrote:

Hi Simon, it's ex-rx8 ed here!

I'm confused - as the 2000 M5 manual definiately says 10-60 oil....

When I spoke to BMW they reccomended Castrol TMS I think - is that 10-60?

I've popped you an email, but I'd be interested to know what I should be topping up with....

Ed, sorry you sold your 8!

I believe that the Dealers are putting it in S54 models but this is an odd one as just about all the beemers produced in the last 12 years call for 5w-40 all year round.

Have you spoken to BMW HQ?

Cheers

Simon

Deathace View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Don’t stick keys in electrical sockets.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2004 at 22:19

Simon, I had an inspection II done on my 1990 535i SE Auto in november of last year. According to the print out BMW used Mobil Super S 10w40 which i understand to be a semi-synthetic.

I am due for an oil change in about 2k miles and would like to know which oil to replace the above with and also how long the oil will last before the additives break down in the engine going on the assumption that the car will barely do a couple of 1000 miles in the next year the mileage at present is 89k. As i work off shore for 6 month of the year the car will be standing in the garage for alot of the 6 months that im back (3 weeks on 3 weeks off).

I ideally want a good oil that will last a good while in the above conditions and also one thats good when putting the engine through its paces now and then without any adverse problems due to the car being mostly unused.

If you could give me actual Brand names and temperatures it would be gladly appreciated.

I don't expect the oil to be done for a good few months yet but would like to know in advance what to go for.

Thanks for a sterling service your offering to everyone.

Russ

1990 535i SE Auto Metallic Glacier Blue, Low Mileage,
M-Tech Bodykit, Full Leather & Various Custom Mods.
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 13:33

Russ

I think the best oil for you all year round is a 5w-40 fully synthetic.

Here are a few BMW approved oils that we supply.

Total Quartz 9000 5w-40 (fully syn)

Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL 5w-40 (fully syn)

Silkolene Pro S 5w-40 (ester fully syn)

All these oils are perfectly happy in temperatures ranging from -30 to +30.

E-mail me for prices at sales@opieoils.co.uk

Tech Specs here: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

Cheers

Guy

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2004 at 16:20

I have some clarification on use of 10w-60 for you.

BMW 10w-60 Recommendations

BMW has changed their engine-oil recommendation for all M cars equipped with the new S54 engine (E46 M3 coupe and convertible, 2001-on M coupe and M roadster) from the previous BMW High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 engine oil (made by Castrol), to Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 Synthetic Engine Oil (also known as Castrol Formula RS 10W-60. . . the oil is the same, only the name has changed)

Presently, BMW recommends Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 for all S54-equipped M-cars as well as all S62-equipped M5s and Z8s produced after 3/00, the factory recommends BMW High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 engine oil. The oil change interval of approximately 15,000 miles or once a year remains unchanged.

Cheers

Simon

Francisco View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2004 at 16:32

HI Simon:

Once again thank you for the service provided.

But... what about all S50 B30/32 (3.0 and 3.2 Evo) lot? Should we use TwS? or RS (0W40)?

Cheers

Francisco

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2004 at 16:48

The book says 5w-40 all year round but post the details of your car model and year engine size etc and I'll check.

As far as I am aware the 10w-60 is only applicable as above.

Cheers

Simon

dave 328 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2004 at 17:58
I've just got some more Mobil 1 5W-40 to add to my supplies as I was in France on holiday. It is still cheaper than UK retail prices and some trade prices, the best bit is now that it comes in a 5 litre format - still not enough for my engine's capacity, but an extra litre for the same price is good!!

328 Coupe Sport, Digital climate, full leather, OBD computer, De-restricted with M50 manifold, big bore throttle, chippeduk remap, custom cold cone intake and X-brace
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2004 at 10:11

What atf would you recomend in a 93' 525 auto with 135k and a fsh?, and as for the g/box filter would you buy aftermarket all original.

It had an insp 11 a year ago, and an oil change (engine) 3-4 weeks ago before I got it, but not the auto box.

harvard468 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2004 at 18:53

Simon,

I have just acquired an E39 2001 (March) model year M5.  I cannot get any consistent answer about the oil I should use.

Most main dealers say Castrol TWS; but the last Oil Service was done by Dick Lovett in Bristol using Castrol SLX, stating that Castrol TWS was only recommended for M5s up to February 2000.

Munich Legends (Barney) recommends Castrol RS, but isn't this just the retail version of TWS??

Help!

STEPHEN BERRY

Stephen B
1990 Z1
1994 E34 540i Touring
1999 E38 740i (Had to go)
2001 E39 M5
kidsinister View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
The revolution will be televised.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2004 at 00:10

Hi, Oilman

Sterling service so far, but here's one:

I have a 1982 E21 323i, which I serviced with Castrol's "Oil for older engines" - as the car had done 224k I thought this might be good policy, however, since then the oil warning light has been flickering faintly from startup to well past normal temperature.

Have I dropped a clanger using this oil? Have you any specific recommendations for engines of this age/mileage?

Many thanks on behalf of all,

Alec

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2004 at 10:54

Hi again Oilman,

If I understand correctly, you are saying there is a conflict between what BMW (UK) is saying and what the Factory is saying.  The former recommending Castrol TWS 10-60 for all S52 M5's, and the latter recommending Castrol SLX 0-30 for S52 M5's after Feb 2000.

Am I correct.  If so it seems pretty daft to me!!!

Originally posted by oilman oilman wrote:

I have some clarification on use of 10w-60 for you.

BMW 10w-60 Recommendations

BMW has changed their engine-oil recommendation for all M cars equipped with the new S54 engine (E46 M3 coupe and convertible, 2001-on M coupe and M roadster) from the previous BMW High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 engine oil (made by Castrol), to Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 Synthetic Engine Oil (also known as Castrol Formula RS 10W-60. . . the oil is the same, only the name has changed)

Presently, BMW recommends Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 for all S54-equipped M-cars as well as all S62-equipped M5s and Z8s produced after 3/00, the factory recommends BMW High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 engine oil. The oil change interval of approximately 15,000 miles or once a year remains unchanged.

Cheers

Simon

Stephen B
1990 Z1
1994 E34 540i Touring
2001 E39 M5
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2004 at 11:38
Originally posted by bm24v bm24v wrote:

What atf would you recomend in a 93' 525 auto with 135k and a fsh?, and as for the g/box filter would you buy aftermarket all original.

It had an insp 11 a year ago, and an oil change (engine) 3-4 weeks ago before I got it, but not the auto box.

I decided to list everything on this one for your information.

The recomendation for your car is as follows,

Lubricant report for:

BMW, 5-Series (E34), 525i, touring, 1992-1995

Manufacturer: Bayerische Motoren-Werke AG, Munich, Germany

Drive type: r.w.d.

Cilinder capacity: 2494 cc

Power output: 192 HP/141 kW at 5900 rpm

Engine, petrol, 4-stroke, water cooled, 2 valves/cyl.

Capacity 4.25 liter

Filter capacity: 0.25 liter

Check daily

OEM recommendation

Year-round               CCMC G5                                        SAE 5W-40

Above -15                CCMC G4                                        SAE 15W-40

From -20 to 20          CCMC G4                                        SAE 10W-40

From -20 to 20          CCMC G5                                        SAE 10W-40

From -20 to 10          CCMC G4                                        SAE 10W-30

From -20 to 10          CCMC G5                                        SAE 10W-30

Below 10                  CCMC G4                                        SAE 5W-30

Below 10                  CCMC G5                                        SAE 5W-30

Below 0                    CCMC G4                                        SAE 5W-20

Below 0                    CCMC G5                                        SAE 5W-20

Lube group note

BMW also recommends: API SG or SH, SG/CD, SG/CE, SH/CE or SH/CD

BMW prefers usage of CCMC G5 or G5/PD2 approved oils in the following viscosities:

year-round     SAE 5W-X

above -20°C  SAE 10W-X

Transmission, automatic

Capacity 3.00 liter

Gears forward: 4/5

Gears reverse: 1

Check check for leaks

OEM recommendation

Year-round               Dexron IID                                       -

Differential, rear

Capacity 1.70 liter

OEM recommendation

Year-round               BMW differential oil OSP                 SAE 75W-90

The gear box is calling for a DexronII, we stock the Fuchs Titan ATF3000 which meets these specs, or the Fuchs Titan ATF4000 which exceeds them.

Hope this helps.

E-mail me for prices.

Cheers

Simon.

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2004 at 11:58
Originally posted by kidsinister kidsinister wrote:

Hi, Oilman

Sterling service so far, but here's one:

I have a 1982 E21 323i, which I serviced with Castrol's "Oil for older engines" - as the car had done 224k I thought this might be good policy, however, since then the oil warning light has been flickering faintly from startup to well past normal temperature.

Have I dropped a clanger using this oil? Have you any specific recommendations for engines of this age/mileage?

Many thanks on behalf of all,

Alec

Alec,

BMW recomend a 5w-40 for all year round use. However with a car of this mileage you may wish to use something a bit thicker to help with pressure etc. say a 10w-40 What grade are you using at the moment?

If you were to go too thin you would find oil seeping out of seals and other strange places.

I would look at the,

Fuchs Titan Unic Plus 10w-40 fullysyn

or

Fuchs Titan XTR 10w-40 semisyn

Silkolene XTR 10w-40 semisyn

Castrol Performance 10w-40 semisyn

Total Quartz 7000 10w-40 semisyn

E-mail me for prices.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Simon.

kidsinister View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
The revolution will be televised.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2004 at 12:48

Thanks, Simon.

Can't remember what grade this stuff is, but I wouldn't have gone for a thin oil.

Will contact you re your recommendations.

Alec

Alec J. Wood

Tuppence 1985 Alpina C2 2.5
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2004 at 22:16

Hi again Simon,

My e-mail tells me that you have replied to my 2 posted queries but there seem to be no replies on the Forum.  How can this be??  Or do you think my questions are already answered elsewhere.

If so I am still none the wiser!!

To summarise, I have a March 2001 E39 5 litre S62 engined M5.  Your clarification on the oil to be used states that BMW (UK presumably) recommend Castrol TWS 10W-60 Motorsport oil, and the Factory (Germany presumably) Castrol 5W-30.  Main dealer workshop computers stipulate the use of TWS for cars built up to Feb 2000, and Dick Lovett say the correct oil is Castrol SLX 0W-30 for vehicles after that date.

So I have a choice of 3 different oils, each apparently the "recommended oil", one of which is significantly different in properties.

I would appreciate a reply, no matter how brief, even if you think I am being unbelievably thick in not understanding the issue.

Kind regards

STEPHEN

Stephen B
1990 Z1
1994 E34 540i Touring
2001 E39 M5
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2004 at 23:24
Originally posted by oilman oilman wrote:

Originally posted by bm24v bm24v wrote:

I decided to list everything on this one for your information.

The recomendation for your car is as follows,

Lubricant report for:

BMW, 5-Series (E34), 525i, touring, 1992-1995

Manufacturer: Bayerische Motoren-Werke AG, Munich, Germany

Drive type: r.w.d.

Cilinder capacity: 2494 cc

Power output: 192 HP/141 kW at 5900 rpm

Engine, petrol, 4-stroke, water cooled, 2 valves/cyl.

Capacity 4.25 liter

Filter capacity: 0.25 liter

Check daily

OEM recommendation

Year-round               CCMC G5                                        SAE 5W-40

Above -15                CCMC G4                                        SAE 15W-40

From -20 to 20          CCMC G4                                        SAE 10W-40

From -20 to 20          CCMC G5                                        SAE 10W-40

From -20 to 10          CCMC G4                                        SAE 10W-30

From -20 to 10          CCMC G5                                        SAE 10W-30

Below 10                  CCMC G4                                        SAE 5W-30

Below 10                  CCMC G5                                        SAE 5W-30

Below 0                    CCMC G4                                        SAE 5W-20

Below 0                    CCMC G5                                        SAE 5W-20

Lube group note

BMW also recommends: API SG or SH, SG/CD, SG/CE, SH/CE or SH/CD

BMW prefers usage of CCMC G5 or G5/PD2 approved oils in the following viscosities:

year-round     SAE 5W-X

above -20°C  SAE 10W-X

Transmission, automatic

Capacity 3.00 liter

Gears forward: 4/5

Gears reverse: 1

Check check for leaks

OEM recommendation

Year-round               Dexron IID                                       -

Differential, rear

Capacity 1.70 liter

OEM recommendation

Year-round               BMW differential oil OSP                 SAE 75W-90

The gear box is calling for a DexronII, we stock the Fuchs Titan ATF3000 which meets these specs, or the Fuchs Titan ATF4000 which exceeds them.

Hope this helps.

E-mail me for prices.

Cheers

Simon.

Thanks for that Simon, thats very usefull/handy all that, I know whats what now, again thanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
  Share Topic