Forum LockedCurrent M5 Braking Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Current M5 Braking Problem
    Posted: 24-June-2004 at 22:14
One of our members has a current M5 with around 20K miles on the clock. Since the car was new, he has complained that the brakes did not work properly. Seems that when they are cold, not much happens when the pedal is pressed. A few days ago the pedal went to the floor and no brakes came on. When it was released and pressed again, they worked fine. The main agent has contacted Germany and their response was that it was impossible for an M5's brakes to function in this manner. Luckily the car was only travelling at about 1mph when it happend. It has happened at least once before, when turning off the M6 onto a slip road.

Questions.
Has anyone else had problems with M5 brakes?
Is there a design problem?
Is it just an intermittant fault that is hard to find?

Your help would be appreciated.
1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
Sponsored Links

kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2004 at 22:21
Howard

If it is of any help I could post this question on the www.m5board.com, let me know if you would like me to do this.

If it was me I would give the car back to the dealer and get them to check it out on a rolling road or some other safer environment.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
Úbermensch View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2004 at 16:05
new pads (his could be glazed) and flush out the fluid for a start anyway, although it does sound like a leakage in the servo or something more serious..
PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2004 at 20:53

Definitely sounds like a servo problem. Not a leak to atmosphere though as this would cause the pedal to go firm. possible dumping the air in the servo somehow?

I agree with Kevin on this one though, as it is a safety related fault then BMW need to keep the car to sort it. Can't drive with brakes like those as if you had an accident it would be difficult to prove it was the brakes.

I doubt it could be brake fluid or pads, tbh, as the fault would be there all the time.

Pikey

Old enough to know better, too young to care!
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2004 at 11:49
Sounds like an airlock in the braking system that has just released itself. The brake reservoir has a non return valve to allow air out, but not in. I would suggest having the brakes power bled. Cars with 4 pot callipers ie e28 M5, M635 and late model E34M5's are great, but the brakes can be a pig to bleed. Also it may be worth checking that all the bleed nipples are closed properly.
Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
steve1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2004 at 12:00
You don,t mention if the car is still under warranty, if so I agree with above, give the car back, insist on a nice courtesy car and don,t have the car back until they have fixed it, I am suprised that BMW haven't taken it more seriously seeing as It's a major safety issue ( this is the point I would play on ). Good luck.
1990 black sport evo- Now Sold
1988 325i touring ( written off )            
2002 ZM Coupe, hamann styling
328i touring ( '95 )
ian332isport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2004 at 14:16

It won't be a servo problem if the pedal goes to the floor. Servo's just can't fail like that. The worst you can get with the servo is a stiff, non assisted pedal.

It's also unlikely to be an air lock. You can't have an air lock hiding in a hydraulic system. It's either there or not. If it's there, you WILL have a spongy or very long travel pedal.

Sounds to me like a leaky master cylinder or something along those lines. Mind you, the current M5 is going to have all sorts or electronics involved as well. Who knows what the DSC or other systems are capable of.

I would like to think that all these systems fail in the safe state. i.e. with the brakes still working. Maybe not assisted, or with ABS, but still have a pedal that if pushed will retard the car to some extent.

Ian.

If it ain't broke, Modify it!!
Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2004 at 01:10
So far the dealer has taken the car back and is investigating. The client has refused to take it back (still under warranty)until it is fixed. Thanks for your comments. I will pass them on to him.
1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2004 at 07:30

-like others have hinted at this might be an electronic issue.

-if, for example, the ABS system decides (wrongly) its a good idea to work at very low speed the result can be a very long pedal and virtually no brakes. This has happened to me on other cars, and all it needs is ill-thought-out software and a dodgy sensor or wiring and hey presto you have an apparently big problem.

-I agree it defintely needs to be fixed before the car is used again, although if there is a fault in the ABS sensor system this should be more likely to fail safe when the car is moving at more normal speeds, as the system is better able to diagnose internal faults.

worrying though.....

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
hodgson100 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2004 at 00:22
Lets get this right the car was travelling at 1 mph! was the driver accelerating or slowing down?
At such a slow speed the driver must be just setting off or already slowed down using the brakes!
I think we need a bit more detail into what the situation was I.E. was the driver actually in the car when it rolled away after somebody forgot to apply the handbrake

encomium View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2004 at 09:28
are the pedals on late model E39 M5's "fly by wire"?
94 E36 M3 Coupe
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2004 at 09:38
Sounds pretty much like the slave and master cylinder as this has happened to me in mine. Unfortunately i was travelling slightly faster than 1mph.

Toby
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2004 at 10:32

- I perhaps ought to have mentioned this before, but- I have once seen a failed master cylinder (on a motorbike, but a car one will work the same way) where the main seal was worn by scraping on the port that goes to the fluid reservoir. This happened for two reasons;

1)  the edge of the port was not dressed or radiused, just left sharp.

2) the pistons in the calipers perhaps did not retract fully, leading to a 'short pedal' (well lever actually) situation. When the brakes were applied, this allowed the seal to be under great pressure when it was still partially over the port- not something it was designed for.

The seal failed in such a way as to produce intermittently spongy and/or 'excessive travel' braking for some time. This could have become a 'no brakes' situation at any time- very worrying indeed.

If the fault described above ever occurs at any speed (esp without any indication of abs or asc operation) then I would suspect a potentially serious internal fault in the master cylinder.

cheers

Edited by Brucey

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic