Forum LockedHELP want info on buying M3 3.2 Evo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
M Power

Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP want info on buying M3 3.2 Evo
    Posted: 16-June-2004 at 16:46

Fisrty hi to everyone as this is my 1st post on M power forum.

Ok im interested in buying a 96-98 3.2 evo coupe or saloon manual

I would like to know any problems to look out for when buying a M3 im pretty knowlegeable with cars as i have had 2 Volvo T5's and a Volvo S70R i pretty much taken them apart over last few years inc engine and box.And i enjoy doing the work myself, So i know the usual stuff all i need is for someone who owns a M3 to point me in the right direction, as to what problems to look for and pricing etc also what are these cars like to work on eg timing belts/chains, servicing,brakes,transmissions and so on. Also what is a Vanos i was told this is a major part to watch out for??

Also what sort of prices am i looking at for pads,oil,general sevice parts.

Ps been quoted £1100 fully comp  with 6 years ncb 28yr old and no points  on licence is this expensive??

thankyou for any feedback

cheers     Leigh 

Sponsored Links

bigbird76 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
M Power

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2004 at 16:15

Hi once all again dont think anyone wants to help me on here or a m3 evo owner has not read this post.

Anyhow looked at a M3 evo coupe 1996 P 115k  yesterday and she was not in good condition faults i found were

Aircon drive belt missing,waterleak from pipe from bottom of rad looks like the pipe has rusted,front chassis rusting badly,bad interior passenger doorcard hanging from door,ripps in leather,  rust on boot, rattley exshaust, headlamp had stone damage, stone damage to arches leading to breakout in rust, and a quiet wine when driving.

The guy told me on the phone the car was mint and was worth journey to look at the car. One wasted day.

ok bye for now

535i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2004 at 16:28

Hi mate,I cant help you with advice on buying an M3 evo as i have only just bought my M3 3.0 saloon and im still learning about the car !

On the insurance ive got mine with admiral for £1000 fully comp with 3 years ncb and im 25 and they didnt want a cat 1 alarm or tracker like so many insurance companys do.

encomium View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2004 at 16:41
watch out for the vanos is the main thing i guess.....and there are tons of other threads on this forum on this topic. do a search and you'll find them
94 E36 M3 Coupe
kevm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2004 at 20:59
Does sound like the one you went to look at was a real dog..

That can be the problem with these cars they arn't the cheapest things in the world to run and people cut corners.

Sounds like you know your stuff though on cars so if you check out a couple of the "Whats this vanos thing i keep hearing about" threads then you should know mostly everything you need to..
bmwm3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2004 at 21:03

Hi,

Why do you want the Evo?? My 3.0 has 295bhp 9 up on standard and because of the extra gear in an Evo, the accelaration takes a fraction longer up untill the higher speeds 90-100 plus......??

NRG 3.0l Techno-Violet

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2004 at 21:30
Bigbird

I spent 8 months or so looking at 3L and Evos that were all described as 'mint' and most were dogs-including a memorable one with industrial size battery charger in the boot, no engine plates to be seen, non-standard colour and no MOT!!!

I plumped to spend my money on a cracking 3L with low mileage. OK I've added a few bits (k&n panel filter and supersprint decat and backbox) but a few tussles with Evos have not seen any real diff between the 2.

On insurance it pays to shop around-elephant were cheap for me this year as were a lot of the BMWCC recommended ones.

Do a search on here and on www.BM3W.co.uk for vanos stuff-its scary.
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
bigbird76 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
M Power

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2004 at 22:14

Hi there guys

Well wow had all these reply's in 1 day you all must of thought i was bluffing lol.

Well reason i want a evo is basically i would like the top dog, I know the 3.0 is a nice car and they are more or less the same looks and performance but its like when i had a volvo T5 i was not happy untill i had the T5-R, Which was a much better car, I might seem a bit of a fussy bugger but just fell in love with these cars when they 1st came out and now i can actually afford to buy one.

The vanos does scare me as i have now read up on this problem, I think i will just have to wait and see what sort of car comes up for right amount of money, I have located 2 cars to possibly view later this week so fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the reply's if anyone has anymore comments feeel ffree to post to try help me

cheers  Leigh

STU M3 EVO View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2004 at 08:41

Welcome to the club mate.

I bought my evo a few months ago and got it insured for 706 fully comp,5years ncb 6 points 32 yrs old. I searched for best part of a year for a good evo, same problems as you are experiencing. people describe em as mint and when you get there they are dogs. every one i looked at had a quiet whine from the gearbox, even the one i bought whines a bit, hardly noticeable only at slow speeds. definitely watch out for a dodgy vanos though, will cost about 1200 to put right if it goes. problem is there is no warning signs apart from a slight rattle at idle, which alot of owners of evos and z3m's say still appears after vanos has been changed. Best bet is to get the chassis number and ring bmw and ask if its been changed,they will tell you over the fone when it was changed and at what mileage, otherwise its a gamble. I almost gave up searching for a good one, and started looking at 3.0ltrs. Then i found my car estoril blue  96p coupe fsh by bmw. Truly mint apart from slightly high miles 99k but well maintained. It was worth searchin for though. no problems as yet. Puts a smile on my face every time i go out in it.

stuart 

Edited by STU M3 EVO
ultegra View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
I Hate Sunday Lunch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2004 at 09:55

If its top dog that you want then an evo is NOT it.

The e36 M3 GT 3.0 is king of the hill. The suspension, chassis, and aerodynamic enhancements turn what was a great car into something truly marvellous. There were only 50 RHD GTs produced: all in British Racing Green [non metallic].

ps I have one so i should know [previously had 3.0 coupe and 3.2 saloon [oh and an Audi quattro RR 20v turbo] ]. The Gt knocks all these cars into a cocked hat.

Chris Enright
M Coupe Silver
ex M Coupe Black
ex 318is Silver
318is White
ex M3 GT
ex 318is Red
ex 318is Blue
316i shell - watch this space...
Nick G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2004 at 11:32
How is the GT that much better then the Evo??

It's older, and surely slower right???
DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2004 at 13:32

STU M3 EVO,

Who is your insurance with??

Bigbird76,

Take your time looking for one. There are quite a few out there, but watch out for the ropey ones of which there are also plenty.

Take the view the seller wants your cash more than you need his car.

Good luck

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
ultegra View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
I Hate Sunday Lunch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2004 at 14:15

295bhp into a 5 speed box; unique cams and ecu map, enhanced intake aerodynamics = superb mid range and top end. only single vanos too so none of the worries associated with an evo.

did i mention that it is speed-unlimited?

http://www.supercars.net/garages/marcusmv3/189v2.html

Chris Enright
M Coupe Silver
ex M Coupe Black
ex 318is Silver
318is White
ex M3 GT
ex 318is Red
ex 318is Blue
316i shell - watch this space...
Nick G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2004 at 14:34
I didn't realise it had Different cams etc, sounds lovely!!!

I don't think i've ever seen one either, mind you if there were only 50 RHD ones that's probably why!!!
bigbird76 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
M Power

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2004 at 22:10

Cheers for the reply's guys

Hard work driving round in a rover 218 turbo diesel atm, And i still miss the volvo but after having a test drive in a M3 im converted

The insurance quote i had was with adrian flux got it to £1045 fully comp with 5yr ncb no points,28yr old car kept in driveway and also i sleep with a baseball bat by my bedside!!

M3 DO U View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2004 at 22:19

I would recommend to anyone buying an evo to make sure it has FBMWSH and the extended warranty in force.

Try The Independant Motor Company. They normally have lots of M3s. They are a bit over priced but it might save you driving all over the country. Note: make sure any work that needs doing is done before collecting the car.

I brought a 3lt M3 Cab from them and it was in exellent condition, and so far I have not had any problems (touch wood)

still looking View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2004 at 22:46

I would recommend trying to get one with a BMW warranty because it is worth the piece of mind. I have just bought one about three weeks ago still under warranty which had a leaky and noisy VANOS but BMW had agreed to repair before i bought the car. When I put her in for the repairs the dealer in Swansea informed me that is was the timing chain tensioner leaking onto the VANOS and not the VANOs leaking though it still needed changing, also they said the cam gears were worn but would be done under warranty. The bill came to £1870 plus VAT and that was at a discounted price (BMW charging BMW).

I was looking for about a year before finding a decent one but was well worth the wait.

Mark.

Love driving my E36 EVO Tickety Boo

http://photobucket.com/albums/v513/MyM3evo/
bigbird76 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
M Power

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2004 at 22:49
Hey Mark im in neath  small world!!
pete36 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 22:01

Sorry to resurrect but have u got your car BB?

I'm from Swansea, and have an Estoril Coupe.

Mark, hows your car, I think I saw it at the RS day in Margam in May/June???

still looking View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2004 at 23:02

Hello Pete, hows it going ?. Yes it was my car at Margam park, I parked it along side a black EVO which was for sale. How did you know it was mine, did you recognise the number plate from when she was for sale on Piston heads. Maybe the three of us could meet up sometime and compare cars.

regards Mark.

Love driving my E36 EVO Tickety Boo

http://photobucket.com/albums/v513/MyM3evo/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic