FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCecotto 479 RIP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cecotto 479 RIP
    Posted: 10-June-2004 at 00:25
Some of you may know that I had a "slight off" in the Cecotto the other day. First wet day after a long dry spell and, much to my shame and annoyance, I got caught out, the car swapping ends on me, mounting the kerb and landing on top of the armco, ripping the sump off and damaging a lot of the underside. Looking at the car, it doesn't look too bad, with virtually no visible panel damage but it's worse than it looks with sill and floor damage and a ripply roof.
Surprisingly, the tail did not slide in its usual predictable, progressive way, but just snapped round. Either way, I couldn't catch it and lost control. Upshot is that yesterday the repairer's estimate confirmed my initial fear that it wouldn't be repaired.

"Devastated" doesn't begin to cover how I felt last week, but it's only a car, nobody had even a bruise and all in all, in the great scheme of things, it's hardly relevant.

So, I'm looking forward to a bloody fight with the insurance co. over value. I think I saw someone else lose a Cecotto a wee while back and any pointers to the sort of evidence of value you used would be helpful.

Finally, for a number of reasons, though I love the car and the driving experience, I've decided not to replace it with another E30 M3.

I've had one. So many cars to own in one lifetime. The wife hates it. Short distances on A or B roads are amazing, but 100 miles or any motorway journey is just plain uncomfortable. Another different one wouldn't be the same and though I considered it, repairing the salvage doesn't appeal.

Anyway, like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter. I bought an M635 Cs HighLine tonight in anticipation of a healthy cheque from the insurance co. It needs a bit of a bodywork tidy and a good detailing valet, but what a car!! The original 1990 receipt is with the history showing that the first owner wrote a cheque for........wait for it .......... £48212.32 for the privilege.

It'll take a wee while to sort out a cherished number transfer and I'm abroad on business for a week. I'm pessimistic, but I might just get it all sorted out for the S14 Nurburgring trip, but it'll be tight and, as I said I'm not hopeful. Would I still get in Uwe?

Just thought I'd let you all know.

Regards,

Boyd
Sponsored Links

kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 06:07
Boyd

You may recall that we met briefly at Rockingham. I'm sorry to hear that what could almost be a sister car to mine will be no more.

Glad you are ok and are looking forward to experiencing the joy of a sharknose. Watch out because Howard and James will be on your case to get your car appearing at the various meets.

Cheers
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 07:37
Boyd,

Just to let you kow you're not alone. After getting my car back from the bodyshop following a slight excursion from the road in icy weather, a taxi driver drove into the rear N/S qurter a few weeks ago.
I have had an estimate and am waiting for the bad news from my insurers. One assessor has called it a write-off and am now waiting for my insurers to either do likewise or get it fixed.

The damage doesn't look bad (bumper, rear quarter, inner wing etc. but body parts are expensive for these things so...

However it's still off to France tomorrow!

Regarding the 6, they are fantastic, not quite as pointy as a 3 but what an engine, and for fast sweeping roads your nerve will give out long before the car does.

Just make sure you get the 8 series brake conversion or you might warp the odd disk!

All the best,

Phil
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 07:38
Boyd

Shame the insurance company decided it was not worth repairing. Hope you can get things sorted out for the Ring.

Toby
m3mad View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 09:20

Boyd

Very sorry to hear about the car, I've been there myself and hope some of this will help.

1. Value I assume was not agreed, so get any figures available for cars for slae and any quotes off here of what people have paid recently.

2. Get proof of your Cecottos limited edition status, eg. BMW magazine articles or book references.

3. Get valuation quotes from Munich legends, M-sport Register secretary etc.

4. Documentary proof of any large spends on the car, serving and parts etc. Ensure they were aware of them of course.

5. Photos of the car beforehand from as many angles as possible.

6. As you're aware it's unlikely you'll accept their first offer. BE POLITE AT ALL TIMES NO MATTER HOW INSULTED YOU FEEL! TO THEM YOU'RE JUST ANOTHER CLAIM.

7. One thing, you may have NCD protection, but be aware they will still load you as a result. My 9 yr NCD still hasn't helped, because the claim is still listed against you. Most unfair.

8. List any mods you told them about, be careful here. New tyres are OK but exhausts and alloys may not be a good idea. I should have removed my Alpinas before the assessor arrived, I got no value for them over std alloys as they weren't listed.

It will take time to resolve, mine took three months and pages of photocopies of M3 articles etc. They tried to value it against an E36, "well yours is 5 yrs older and this ones only worth £12k, hence offering you £6k Sir!".

You'll get there in the end, just be calm and positive.

Good Luck!

E30 M3 (my fifth!)
528i E39 motorway meister
1984 911 Carrera Sport
J7 VNK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 09:43

Sorry to hear that, I've lost a few 'friends' in my short time too, it's just an inconvenience having to deal with the insurers!

I battled for over 6 months with my insurer in 2000, they offered me £4000 for my 'non BM' (a Celica GT4-UK car) when I had bought it 2 weeks earlier for £8000, I had to send every receipt in I had (and there were lots, it was the best kept car in the UK in my opinion! and I’m sure yours is worthy too) also find any for sale that you can (leave the cheap ones out if any ;o) like M3mad said, articles etc all help, your job is to convince the valuer of it's true value!!  if they don't give you what they want, tell them just to replace the car with one exactly the same instead of giving you the money! they wont do this of course but it just helps strengthen your argument with the valuer.

One other thing I would say!  " BUY BACK THE CAR"  honestly, they'll give it back to you for next to nothing and you should have first refusal, ask for a price as it makes the price they pay you a bit better as they minimise the risk of the car not fetching much in salvage auctions.

Trust me, you'll sell that car on eBay for a lot more than they gave it to you for, further increasing the claim and making the hard work you put into the car feel more worthwhile!!

1999 528iA Sport Pack,Aspen Silver,17" MTech's.
1994 525i Sport, Avus Blue,SOLD (BMWCC Member)
1999 323i SE E46, Black, man, Sports Leather.
My Cars

"BMW's are for life, not just for Christmas"
mysteron35 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Kings Lynn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 10:51

Sorry to hear about your car .

Just as a ref I paid £1500 to get my 89 2.3 M3 back off the insurance recently after It was hit from behind and written off .

I thought this was a fair price as I've seen some high prices for engines /gearboxes wheels etc .

Hope this helps in some way , regards Steve .

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 19:26
Sorry to hear that. An M Power replacement car sounds good though . Maybe see you at the Ring in that .

M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 20:53
Sorry to hear this, I had an off in my M3 at Easter, So I know what it's like. Still as you say no one was hurt which is the main thing.
I'm still tryin to get a decent payout from the insurance.
There a bloody nightmare and I'm sure there messing me about on purpose. Still Good thing come come form a misfortune I know I has workout well for me. Now I just need to get some sort of decent payout from the %&$£* insurance company.
Mags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 21:17

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. Its always sad to trash a car, even worse when its a rare model.
At least you escaped unharmed, cars are just hunks of metal.

Mags

'58 Austin Healey Sprite
'72 VW Camper
'95 BMW 540i Touring
'02 Suzuki SV650S
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 22:15
Sorry to hear about your off mate.

As long as you are OK thats the main thing, although it still does'nt help with the fact that you have lost your car.

Mind you a M6 is a fantastic replacement.

If you manage to get the car back off of the insurance then give me a call I'm on the lookout for a 'box.

All the best
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 22:39
A real shame! But the M6 isn't a bad replacement. I fancy the sharknose as well. I am sure you are welcome at the S14 meeting, but question is can you stand it with all the M3's around?
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
m3Cecotto View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 23:37
Thanks for all your kind comments gentlemen.  Thanks for all the PMs too.  I'll reply to all in due course.  If I don't get to the Ring this time. maybe later in the year.
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2004 at 23:41
Damned shame mate, i would be devastated, M6 though, now i'm jeleous!

I'm sure we all be biting at your heels for spares. . . bound to make a profit from the salvage (though i'm sorry for the situation). And at least none of the scum will be able to use the Cecotto I.D. either.

First dibs on your rear spoiler including the extra lip, and your evo steering wheel (i know i'm a grave digger, but keep the parts alive!)

'

Edited by 215DMX
SteveM View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2004 at 08:36

Ok, I'll also get on the case as well - is your illuminated gearknob still alive and in good nick?

Sorry to hear about your car - glad you've managed to already source another M car.

If you can buy back the car, and have space to keep it, breaking it for spares should recoup a fair bit of money.

Steve
Scottish Cecotto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic