FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOil for E30 M3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2004 at 13:44

Hmm,

Must say that it is a well know fact that 70 plus percent of the engine wear occurs when cold however. Cheap oils with low grade viscosity improvers will "shear" very quickly (a couple of thousand miles in some cases) which is equally as damaging.

For example a 10w-40 with low grade viscosity improvers in it could be operating as a 10w-20 within a short space of time which is equally as damaging when the engine is stressed and if the car requires an sae 40 when running at high temperatures this can be catastrophic!

There are logical reasons why oils vary from £2 per litre to £10 per litre, its to do with what's in the oil - as I've said before you get what you pay for!

Cheers

Simon

Use the code BAVBOARD and get 10% Club Discount
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
Phone: 01209 202944
Sponsored Links

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2004 at 14:21
I believe any of the well know oil companies produce oil that is of sufficient quality for any engine today, including ours. I think to say 1 oil is so dramatically different to all the others is a bit of an insult to just how good most oils are. All the wear at start up, 75% right ? I remember not too many years ago this issue was resolved by cranking the engine over for 10 seconds without the choke out !. With all the technology open to engine designers i'm sure they are aware of this level of wear, or do we really believe that they arn't aware and we, the car public know better than they do? To summerise I'm sure any big branded oil in the RIGHT viscosity range is good enough when you stick to regular changes.

Arrrh, maybe it's all a conspiricy and they sell us duff oil so our engines wear out sooner and they make more money from selling parts. . .

Some interesting sites for you guys.

spot check your oil

Dirty oil?

P.S. I think we should put this thread to bed now.
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2004 at 16:35

Information on the use of 10w-60.

BMW 10w-60 Recommendations

BMW has changed their engine-oil recommendation for all M cars equipped with the new S54 engine (E46 M3 coupe and convertible, 2001-on M coupe and M roadster) from the previous BMW High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 engine oil (made by Castrol), to Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 Synthetic Engine Oil (also known as Castrol Formula RS 10W-60. . . the oil is the same, only the name has changed)

Presently, BMW recommends Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 for all S54-equipped M-cars as well as all S62-equipped M5s and Z8s produced after 3/00, the factory recommends BMW High Performance Synthetic 5W-30 engine oil. The oil change interval of approximately 15,000 miles or once a year remains unchanged.

Hopefully this will clear up a few questions.

Cheers

Simon

Use the code BAVBOARD and get 10% Club Discount
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
Phone: 01209 202944
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic