Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 14:40
Motul 300V
Sponsored Links

Mags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 17:24

Thanks Simon, thats very interesting stuff.
I'm normally a bit sceptical on the old 'my oil is better than your oil' type threads but I can see the science behind it.

I will find out more about the Valvoline stuff I have and will get back to you via PM soon'ish.

One question for the forum though, I have read on an oil company's oil tech sheet that a tip is to not change your oil filter everytime you change oil as they work better the dirtier they get, the gravel bed effect?
They work their best just before they block (obviously a bit of a stupid risk to take!) and that some race teams will use a single filter for an entire season!
What do you make of that? I always thought it was a false economy to not change the filter at every interval.

Cheers

Mags

'58 Austin Healey Sprite
'72 VW Camper
'95 BMW 540i Touring
'02 Suzuki SV650S
kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 17:49
Maybe that's why the filter is a PITA to get to? I have always changed the filter, particularly if changing the type or even brand of Oil used.

I too would be interested in hearing from those who know.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 17:50
I would check out Redline too Mark, it's not the cheapest but it does seem very good stuff and is a true synthetic oil, It's poly ester-based oil. It has done very well on all the wear test that I have seen.

I don't know if Oilman has an opinion on Redline. It would be good to here his thoughts?.

Redline's site
oilman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 20:19

Mags,

I would be with you on this one and change oil and filter at the same time.

Cheers

Simon

Use the code BAVBOARD and get 10% Club Discount
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
Phone: 01209 202944
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 21:23

Redline.

It may be best that all Redline fans close their ears or look away at this point, you may not like what you read!

Some basics first.

A good oil must be quite low in viscosity even in the cold, so that it gets around the engine in a fraction of a second on start-up. On the other hand, it must also protect engine components (piston rings for example) at temperatures up to 300 deg C without evaporating or carbonising, and maintain oil pressure.

Unmodified thin oils simply can't manage this balancing act. The answer is to use a mixture of thin oil and temperature sensitive polymer, so as the thin oil gets even thinner with increasing temperatures as the engine warms up, the polymer expands and fights back, keeping the viscosity at a reasonable level to hold oil pressure and film thickness on the bearings.

All oils have a viscosity index which is the number indicating that rate of change in viscosity of an oil within a given temperature range. Higher numbers indicate a low change, lower numbers indicate a relatively large change. The higher the number the better. This is one major property of an oil that keeps your bearings happy. These numbers can only be compared within a viscosity range (10w-40 vs 10w-40) but here it the important thing...............

They do not give an indication of how well the oil resists thermal breakdown! (The oil film tearing or shearing)

This is all down to a very important additive called a Viscosity Index improver and it is critical that this is shear stable.

VI improvers like all other things in life vary in quality and this is down to cost and availability.

In other words, an oil can look great on paper and make impressive claims but, unless all the components are of high quality it will fail to perform under the most arduous conditions.

I asked John Rowland the Silkolene/Fuchs Chief R&D Chemist for 40 years to give me his opinion on U.S. oils (including Redline) for

another car club and below was his reply:

Quote:

Simon,

Redline and all U.S. oils. The main problem with these is that all American Oils have "low grade" Viscosity improvers in them. Good ones are just not available in the states due to the fact that they are just not required for the majority of American engines.

The consequence of this is, although the oils look good on paper with high VI indexes etc they have low grade inprovers so they have a tendency to "shear down" causing a lack of back pressure.

For example, the oil you are using may be a 10w-40 but could be operating when hot a 20!

JR

Unquote:

I was intrigued by Johns answer and wanted to know how he knew it was the case in the U.S. that good quality VI improvers were not available. His reply was as follows:

Quote:

We have found it is impossible to source shear stable VI improvers

in the U.S.A. even for ready money!

Unquote:

Bear in mind here that Fuchs/Silkolene is the largest independent Lube Oil Manufacturer in the World and has facilities in the U.S. 

So, there you have it, another expensive oil that is not all it's cracked up to be!

Mis-information abounds in the oil world and looking behind the marketing hype and claims is impossible unless of course you are a chemist and able to look deep into the oils make-up which neither you nor I can do!

This may be the time to tell you all something that you will probably not be aware of.

FUCHS, the parent company of SILKOLENE supplies 30% of all BMW's oils for factory fill. More than 5,000,000 litres per annum so it is probably fair to say that BMW trust them and.................your car has a 30% chance of arriving in this country with FUCHS oil in it!

Sorry If I've offended anyone but I promised to be frank and honest.

Cheers

Simon

M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 22:16
I'll get me coat!

I don't claim to know anything about oil other than it's oily! What you have posted above is what Redline say about other oils. They claim that they don't need the polymeric thickeners that other oils use. Same for shear rates. I know it's off there own site and there not going to say that there own oil is crap.

I can only parrot fashion what they say on there site. But they do make a convicing case.I might mail them what you have posted above if you don't mind and see what they say.

Any objections?

Edited by M3Pilot
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 23:44

Don't mail them verbatum, I'll ask John to compose the pertinant question for us regarding their VI Improvers and I'll post it here then you can ask the question in a way that will produce the correct info.

I'll get back as soon as I have the question composed.

Cheers

Simon

M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 00:02
Originally posted by oilman oilman wrote:

Don't mail them verbatum, I'll ask John to compose the pertinant question for us regarding their VI Improvers and I'll post it here then you can ask the question in a way that will produce the correct info.

I'll get back as soon as I have the question composed.

Cheers

Simon

Ok cool, hopefully we should get some interesting answers.
SteveM View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 08:55

Simon,

Thanks for the excellent information. As you said, there is a lot of hype about regarding oils, so it's refreshing to see a scientifically based judgement.

Steve
Scottish Cecotto
shoestring7 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 09:39

Simon,

My (E30) M3 has just had an engine rebuild (+.030 rebore, new pistons etc. etc.).

Should I use a good quality synthetic from the get-go, or would you reccommend a different oil for the running-in period?

Thanks

SS7

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 11:44

Shoestring 7

Do not use a fully synthetic oil for running in.

The engine needs to bed in and you should use decent mineral oil or an MC semi-synthetic. (10w-40, 15w-40, 15w-50)

In the days of old, when engines were less highly stressed, minerals were the recommended oils but as MC synthetics are modified mineral oils they are perfectly good for running-in and afford a higher level of protection.

Cheers

Simon 

oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 14:35

Oh, I forget to mention.............

Quote:

This may be the time to tell you all something that you will probably not be aware of.

FUCHS, the parent company of SILKOLENE supplies 30% of all BMW's oils for factory fill. More than 5,000,000 litres per annum so it is probably fair to say that BMW trust them and.................your car has a 30% chance of arriving in this country with FUCHS oil in it!

Unquote:

They also supply other factory fills such as

VW/AUDI 15,000,000 plus

Merceded Benz 11,000,000 plus

And, you've never heard of them

Cheers

Simon

Italian M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 14:36
oilman, hello, I have been watching this thread like many other people i'm sure.

I have a 1985 M635CSI (Non-Highline) that has just had a rebuild.
What oil would you recomend using, I do not really understand what you mean by "MC Synthetic"

In my E30 320is I run 10w40 Castrol GTX Magnatex

I am just getting more and more worried about what to put in the car once it can be fired up.

Cheers

Luke
Still fast at 2Ltrs!! Undercover M3!!
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 15:58

Italian M3

I'm assuming you mean after the run-in period? Anyway.

MC = Molecularly Converted. It is the basic synthetic blend which is a Molecularly Converted Mineral oil. 

For run in a mineral oil of 10w-40, 15w-50 or even 15w-40 or an MC 10w-40 semi-syn will do the job, after that the recommended "all year round" oil would be 5w-40 Fully Synthetic preferably a PAO or ester.

320is, 10w-40 is fine for -20 to +20 but for "all year round" 5w-40 fully synthetic again.

If you want to stick to Semi, I would suggest Castrol Performance 10w-40 or Silkolene XTR 10w-40.

See here for techie info: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

Cheers

Simon

M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 18:49
I've beeen thinking about this at work today (bored as usual) and this is such a broad and complex subject that it is well above my knowledge. I'm not a chemist or chemical engineer.
When I got my first E30 M3 I was using Castrol RS 10w60 and was happy enough. But it got me thinking that there must be some other stuff out there that is probably more suited or better than what I was using, and I wanted the best protection I could get. But maybe I made the wrong choice with Redline.
I try to run a fully synth as I feel it is better for the engine. I'm not really worried about cost as long as I feel I'm doing the right thing.

So I basically searched the net to find out what I could, asked people and tried to understand the info.

I considered a few but ended up using Redline, because of the test info I'd read and the info on their site and people I'd talked to. I know it is their own site and there to promote the products they make. But it still made a good case.

I would like to find out more info, but all that I have seen so far tends to contradict each other. Everyone is going to say thet their product is better the the next one, Mobil, Castrol, who ever. So it's very hard to form an opinion on what is best to do for most of us. I think we try to do what best rather than cut corners with something as important as oil, same as brakes and tyres in IMO.

I have just changed the oil on my Sport Evo as it had Magnatec in there. It had less that 100 miles on that oil as it was changed before I bought the car, but I wanted somthing that IMO was a better oil.
So I put some Redline in there.

I guess I might have some more searching to do.

Simon,
Do you know anything about these ASTM tests? I know there is a High temp high shear test (ASTM D4624?) that as far as I can work out is the sort of condition that has been stated above where the American oils are not suppose to do very well.
Once again I'm not claiming to know anything about this subject and these tests could be biased towards companies like Redline/Amsoil and their oils. But they appear to do well in these tests?.

Do you consider oil anylysis a good ideal for anyone who is serious to find out how well the oil they use is at doing it's job?.
I have considsdered doing this, but never really looked into the cost and finding somewhere that does it.
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 22:59

M3 Pilot.

Some interesting and may I say balanced comments there.

I'm no chemist either but I have access to a very good one who is always frank and honest, if not a touch confusing at times!

Fully synthetic is the way to go for ultimate protection, I fear from Johns comments which I value as he's the expert that Redline isn't. John is preparing an email for me to post asking some pertinant questions about Redlines Viscosity Improvers.

He doubts we will get a direct reply, just a good attempted PR job!

I know that it's my job to stay impartial, especially as I sell Castrol, Mobil, Fuchs, Silkolene and Total and believe me I try but.............when people ask for for my opinion on what's the best I can't help but tell them that "esters" are, because they are.

Tragically there are too few companies still using them due to cost and the only reason Silkolene has clung on, despite the bean counters is their committment to motorcycle racing - all their bike oils contain them! 

I'm not trying to turn people away from Castrol or Mobil or whatever, I hope they will contact me and be frank if they want it, I'll supply it at a good price for you all.

Regarding the testing of Redline, I can get it done for you for free if you would like to send me a small amount I'll get John to test it for me, he owes me a favour and it may tell us what we all need to know.

How about testing it against PRO S 5w-40, now that would be interesting!

Cheers

Simon

M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2004 at 00:31
Simon,

Can you tell me if/or what the difference between the ester that Silkolene use and the polyol ester that Redline use. Or are they basically starting with same/simular basestock?

I wouldn't say that I have any real brand loyality, I just use what I feel if the best for my application and that gives me peace of mind when I'm heading for 8k rpm!
If that happends to be Silkolene, Redline, Mobil 1 or Happy Shopper oil then that is what i will use.

The people who I know that have had their oil tested it was usually after a few thousand miles, they got a break down chemical analysis of what was in there.It gave them pointers on what to look out for and potential problems, whether they need to change it yet or if it was good for another 5k.

I will happily send you a sample of Redline is you wish. Used or un used. The grade I use is 15w50. I will have to find something to put it in. I do find this all very interesting and it's great to get some solid info rather than hearsay and from the bloke down the pub.

It will be interesting to see the reply that Redline make. They have always been helpful before, But I haven't really asked them anything technical as I lack the knowledge to do so.

I have send you a PM asking for your oil recommendation for my application.

Edited by M3Pilot
lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2004 at 10:19
Here's a couple of Q's for Oilman that maybe he can shed some light on.

1. Mobil 1 std. is 0w-30, I think. Mobil 1 Motorsport is 15w-50. If thinner is better, why do they offer a thicker oil for Motorsport use (creative marketing ???)

2. If thinner is better because it circulates better when cold, could you not say that thicker may be better because the added viscosity would mean some oil would remain in the upper parts of the engine (valve train etc), thereby giving immmediate lubrication on start-up. Simplistic I know but I am curious.

Finally, (sorry, bear with me). Long ago I had a race engine built(2.1 Pinto). On the dyno it lunched it's cam. Builder got the cam replaced FOC and engine was dyno'd sucessfully second time around. Engine was filled with Mobil 1 during dyno run. Shortly after, I was speaking to competitors in the same series, they all had experienced the same problem with different engine builders and different cams, (but the same oil). I swapped to Valvoline mineral and had no problems. Is it the case that some engines do not like synthetics, I know the Pinto always had extreme issues with Cam wear due to under oiling. Coincidence or reality ?

rgds

Roops
oilman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2004 at 13:21

M3 Pilot,

I think the ester used by Silkolene is "Polyol" but there are about 6 different catagories - I've asked JR to enlighten us!

Sample of Redline, unused please and about the same as a medical sample jar will do Sealed please!

Cheers

Simon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic