Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked635 tyre queries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 635 tyre queries
    Posted: 10-May-2004 at 09:57

Hi i m new at this game so bear with me if i sound like a muppet.

I ve got an 84 635 csi and it has metric sized colway tyres fitted. These are getting seriously worn so i after reading and hearing about the cost of replacement rubber i thought i d take the good advice from the forum and track down some normal wheels on ebay. Found some from a seven series in good nick and won them. All good

Trouble is they don t fit. I don t have the current size to hand but i guess its the standard. The new 7 series wheels are 235 x 60x16. They are a little taller than the incumbents and foul the strut.

Do i cut my losses and sell them on. Do i find some slightly smaller rubber for the rims or can i space them out slightly.

Any help and advice will be much appreciated

Sponsored Links

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2004 at 10:30
Standard offset (ET) on the E24 was 22mm, and you could either have 390mm (15.3inches) or 415mm (16.3inches) diameter wheels. So the wheel diameter of 16 inches itself should not be a problem.

How wide are the wheels themselves? Have you also been able to find out what the offset of the 7-series wheels are? Should be about 20mm, I think... Apparently you can use an offset of between 20 and 24mm without the need for spacers, but I wouldn't try to fit a wheel wider than about 8 inches. Having said that, some people have got away with 8.5 or 9.

You can find a wheel fitment calculator HERE

Tyres: standard fit is either 220/55 or 240/45. You might want to experiment with slightly smaller rubber...

The Big Coupe Groupe has a useful table showing the differing tyre sizes and aspect ratios for the E24. You should be able to view it by clicking HERE

Edited by Horsetan

Goldryder View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2004 at 19:10

On this subject, although the tyres on my 6 are new, I am considering changing the wheels at a later date, maybe.  I have the E28 version 6, and would rather stay with BMW wheels if possible, thus keeping it looking standard.  Which model would fit the E28 6 please?  (preferably without too much aggro, if possible) 

Thanx muchly 

October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2004 at 19:18

-I'm running a set of 225/60 15 tyres at present (tyres as the later E 34 5 series, plus non-standard 7" internal rim width wheels, with an 18mm offset) . These are a little larger diameter than standard, but don't foul anything, (and the speedo still over-reads...). These tyres fill out the arches a bit without the need for a suspension drop, which is nice...

The clearance between the strut and the tyre is smallish- I can only just stick my fingers in there.

The 225/60/ 15 comes out at 651mm diameter vs. the standard for the '6' which comes out at about 630mm.

On this basis, I'd suggest that unless your offset is well over 20mm, you should be OK with a 225/55 16 on your rims, if they are 7" wide. This comes out at 654mm diameter. Even if this fouls a little on the strut, a thin spacer (3-4mm) should sort it out.

Remember if your rims are wider by one inch, you might as well have another 12.7mm offset, so far as strut clearance goes.

Also note that tyres vary a little from one manufacturer to another in terms of both diameter and clearance at the tread corner (ie near the strut spring platform). The numbers I've quoted are correct for Avons; other brands may be a little different. 

I hope this helps

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2004 at 23:24
You should be fine with a 225/55/r16, but be carefull if the car is from a post e32 7 series as the hub will be a little bigger and you will need to run hubscentric rings to prevent vibrations
Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
fatrangi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 09:14

Thanks for the helps guys. Much appreciated. You keep mentioning offset. What exactly is this and is it adjustable. Sohlman you mention hubscentric rings. Where do i get these and how much are they.

Sorry no qustion mark key on this board...

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 11:12

Offset

If you take a centre line in the wheel going down through the wheel. This would be 0 offset. An ofset of 20mm would indicate that the hub would sit 20mm closer into the car. Likewise a negative offset would make a wheel sit further away from the car. The offset is important as if it is to big ie in the case of an e36 which has about a 35mm offset the wheel would touch the strut. Likewise too little and the tyre might catch the arch.

Offset can be adjusted by the use of spacers, but you are limited to about 6mm before you go beyond the hub and you need to fit lengthened wheel bolts for safety.

Hubscentric rings are effectiverly very small spacers which add about 1.2mm to the hub and are fitted to the wheels to make up the difference on a later model wheel to a older car. They are usually available in plastic, but i have herd that they are now available in metal. Most wheel shops that deal with BMW's will have them and Euro's stocks them to.

Hope this clears things up

James

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 14:22
You would need hubcentric rings if, for instance, you were going to use E39 alloys like these:

Dan Stevens View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2004 at 16:38
8J x 16 E32 wheels will fit an E28 based 635 - look for this marking on the wheel centre if you're unsure - if you use 225/50R16 tyres. Anything bigger will foul the suspension strut. You don't need spacers with this size, and it's a very close match to the rolling radius of 22/55/390 metrics, which most E24s came fitted with. So no speedo or gearing issues.
I have these wheels and this tyre size on my '83 635 - it's the most popular direct replacement for the metrics.
Cheers
Dan
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2004 at 19:44

If it's any help I'm running BMW Style 32's from a '96 5-series (8x17 & 9x17) with 235/40 front, 255/40 rear with no clearance problems.

As Sohlman says, you need a hubcentric spacer to fit around the centre hole in the wheel.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2004 at 23:31
Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

If it's any help I'm running BMW Style 32's ...

Lucky... lucky... lucky... <CENSORED>

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2004 at 23:52

255 on the rears is as large as you can go before you need to roll the arches. Also your car is a highline which can take a slightly bigger arch due to the plastic wheel arch extensions

Edited by Sohlman
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2004 at 19:55

Originally posted by Horsetan Lucky... lucky... lucky... <CENSORED>[/QUOTE Horsetan Lucky... lucky... lucky... <CENSORED>[/QUOTE wrote:

Thanks (I think). Got them from Motorforce in Sou

Thanks (I think). Got them from Motorforce in South Shields (my neck of the woods). They deal with lots of 2nd hand BMW wheels (all refurbished). Better quality than Alpina copies & cheaper than real Alpinas.

You're right Sohlman. However, there's so much space around the arches I was considering lowering the car but Munich Legends put me off the idea, makes the suspension a little over harsh (unless you're that way inclined).

255/40's have the same rolling radius as the TRX 240/45's so keeps the speedo happy.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

fatrangi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2004 at 05:45
So i've put some e39 alloys on as illustrated by Horsetan. And
very nice they are too.

Tahnk you very much to everyone for their help. You really are
a nice bunch of people

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2004 at 14:09
Originally posted by fatrangi fatrangi wrote:

So i've put some e39 alloys on as illustrated by Horsetan. And
very nice they are too.

Tahnk you very much to everyone for their help. You really are
a nice bunch of people

Aim to please!

m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2004 at 19:45

I know the thread is finished and all's well that ends well etc. etc., but I just want to show you all these examples of the work of art that is the BBS split rim cross spoke alloy wheel which I purchased this evening:-

Unmade bed?  Pickled sheep?  The BBS split rim is true art. 

The tyre sizes are wrong though, the wheels were on an E30 M3 and are wearing too skinny tyres for the rims.

I've got 245 40 x 17 Toyo Proxes (recommended) on 8.5" rims just now which works out about as good as you can get for the OE 240 45 415 so I think I'll get away with fitting them on these 8" and 9" rims until I need new tyres.

Anyone have a use for 215 40 x 17 or 235 40 x 17 tyres?  Going cheap.

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2004 at 17:02
Originally posted by m3Cecotto m3Cecotto wrote:

Anyone have a use for 215 40 x 17 or 235 40 x 17 tyres?  Going cheap.

I've sent you a PM.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic