Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE34 525 M50 Performance Chip ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E34 525 M50 Performance Chip ?
    Posted: 01-May-2004 at 16:30
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with chipping there M50 engined 525 ? I have just had a Supersprint exhaust fitted to my car (which sounds amazing ) and was wondering if i could release a bit more power with a chip, there are loads for the M50 engine on the german ebay site but i am not sure if they actually work ?

Thanks

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Sponsored Links

Deathace View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Don’t stick keys in electrical sockets.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2004 at 18:01

Hi Miles,

I bought mine from a german motorsport company that trade on ebay. A german friend of mine phoned them up and asked a list of questions that i gave him and they answered all the questions to my satisfaction. I then went ahead and purchased the chip in question and when i had the head gasket done a couple of weeks ago i fitted the chip when i got it back and it has been noticably quicker. The estimation is that you get about 15-20hp more at 4000 rpm but i bought it more for the other benefits. More power lower down the rev range more smoother delivery of power through the rev range and delimited top end speed (called V-Max in germany). Overall i have been pleased with it over the last couple of weeks and the mpg that i first thought was better is now about the same as before (i presume its bedded the new timings in).

At the end of the day its your decision on whether or not you want to blind buy a chip off ebay but most of the ones for the 525i seem to be pretty capable if you ask me. Just match up your ECU number to the right one and you shouldnt go too far wrong.

Russ

1990 535i SE Auto Metallic Glacier Blue, Low Mileage,
M-Tech Bodykit, Full Leather & Various Custom Mods.
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2004 at 21:38
Thanks for the info Russ, i think i will email a couple of the german sellers and ask some questions.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Ascotgrun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2004 at 09:08

Try this US based E34 forum and do a search for "EAT chip".  Many owners there have this chip and are very pleased with it, the guy who programs the chips is a regular poster and speaks english so you might get a lot more info about them.  The exchange rate for US dollars is also very good so the chip might actually be cheap as chips.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

1995 520i SE
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2004 at 15:26
Thanks for that link Ascotgrun, i'll try and contact the guy that sells the EAT chips to see if he can program one for a European spec 525 (as i see that most of the chips he sells are for the lower grade american fuel)

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Deathace View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Don’t stick keys in electrical sockets.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 13:08

I spoke to the bloke off the bimmer.info forums and last i heard he was doing tests for european/UK chips but heard nothing more than that. I even offered to do some testing for him but as i say i heard nothing back. If you get any joy from him miles let us know because i would be interested in seeing what the differences are.

I phoned and spoke to dinan a while back as well to get an idea of their chips and they only provide US spec car chips for the engine and gearbox and would not be prepared to program one for euro/UK spec cars.

Russ

1990 535i SE Auto Metallic Glacier Blue, Low Mileage,
M-Tech Bodykit, Full Leather & Various Custom Mods.
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 15:30
I have emailed a couple of the german sellers on ebay and they seem confident that the chip will work fine, they say that as long as i give them the number on the ECU they will supply a chip with the software to suit. Most of them have supplied hundreds of chips and have lots of positive feedback. The only thing which was concerning me was the fact that they seem very cheap at around £25 ?

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

535i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 16:29

Ive just bought a chip off ebay for my e34 535i sport. Apparently its a hartge chip and i paid £50. Dont know what it will be like but its gotta be worth a go! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32094&item=7901331158&rd=1 

Click on this link and drop the bloke an email. I know this chip is for the m20 engine but i emailed him and he had a chip for my 535i sport so he might have what you are looking for. Let me know how you get on ?

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 16:49
Originally posted by 535i sport 535i sport wrote:

Ive just bought a chip off ebay for my e34 535i sport. Apparently its a hartge chip and i paid £50. Dont know what it will be like but its gotta be worth a go! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32094&item=7901331158&rd=1 

Click on this link and drop the bloke an email. I know this chip is for the m20 engine but i emailed him and he had a chip for my 535i sport so he might have what you are looking for. Let me know how you get on ?

Thanks for that, i just emailed the guy, i'll let you know how i get on.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2004 at 13:47
The guy at Chippeduk from the ebay auction link above says that he hasn't got a chip for my ECU as it is very unusual (Bosch 0261 200 405) so i think i am going to have to go ahead and order one from germany.

I will keep you updated.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic