FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedETC BMW the BIZ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ETC BMW the BIZ
    Posted: 01-May-2004 at 16:14

ETC qualifying at Magny Cours, BMW 1-2-4th is Andy P.Sunny conditions.

Jerez YaMaHa Boy Vale on Pole, from fridays Wet qualifyer, washout in to-days try.Dry forecast for Sunday.2 Yams + 1 Honda on Front row.

SAFETYFAST
Sponsored Links

Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2004 at 19:28

A record field of 25 cars took part in the session, and four minutes into it Rickard Rydell started the hostilities with a lap in 1:50.111. SEAT’s Swede was immediately ousted by his team-mate Diefenbacher’s 1:49.667, which gave the German youngster a provisional pole. However, soon the BMW drivers made clear they were aiming to steal the pole from SEAT. One after the other, Jörg Müller (1:49.768), Andy Priaulx (1:49.738), Antonio García (1:49.854) and Dirk Müller (1:49.749) managed to close the gap from Diefenbacher. Then, with only five minutes left, Jörg performed his top note with a lap in 1:49.357, claiming the pole position for good. Priaulx responded with a 1:49.562 which gave him the second position only for a few seconds, because immediately Diefenbacher clocked a 1:49.509, demoting the Briton to third; in his turn the German driver was ousted from the second place by Dirk’s 1:49.468 just as the session expired.

Augusto Farfus was the fastest of the Alfa Romeo works drivers, and qualified sixth with a lap in 1:49.812, just head of his team-mates Tarquini and Giovanardi. Oregon Team’s Michele Bartyan emerged as the best in the Independents Trophy, also managing to break into the top-ten of the overall classification. This was the first pole in the Trophy for the Austrian driver.

1 Jörg Müller         BMW 320i       1:49.357   
2 Dirk Müller         BMW 320i       +0.111    
3 Frank Diefenbacher  SEAT Toledo    +0.152    
4 Andy Priaulx        BMW 320i       +0.205    
5 Antonio Garcia      BMW 320i       +0.249    
6 Augusto Farfus Jr.  Alfa Romeo 156 +0.455    
7 Gabriele Tarquini   Alfa Romeo 156 +0.622    
8 Fabrizio Giovanardi Alfa Romeo 156 +0.625    
9 Rickard Rydell      SEAT Toledo    +0.754    
10 Michele Bartyan    Alfa Romeo 156 +0.863    
11 Tom Coronel        BMW 320i       +0.942    
12 Luca Rangoni       Alfa Romeo 156 +1.077    
13 Kurt Mollekens     BMW 320i       +1.294    
14 Alessandro Zanardi BMW 320i       +1.465    
15 Jordi Gene         SEAT Toledo    +1.700    
16 Jan Magnussen      Peugeot 307    +1.998    
17 Alessandro Balzan  Honda Accord   +2.127    
18 Salvatore Tavano   Alfa Romeo 156 +2.388    
19 Stefano D'Aste     BMW 320i       +2.456    
20 Carl Rosenblad     BMW 320i       +2.801    
21 Simon Harrison     Honda Civic    +3.305    
22 Sebastian Grunert  Ford Focus     +3.791    
23 Roland Asch        Ford Focus     +3.937    
24 Toni Ruokonen      Honda Civic    +4.647    
25 Klaas Zwart        BMW 320i       +5.723    

Source: MST & ETCC media

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2004 at 19:29
BMW backs FIA's F1 aims
But Mario Theissen looking for 'technical solution' in Monaco on Tuesday
Dr Mario Theissen finds Max Mosley's proposals very interesting

On the eve of the FIA's summit with Formula 1's team bosses in Monaco on May 4, where discussions over the radical proposals planned for introduction in 2008 will take place, BMW Motorsport director Mario Theissen has said that the German manufacturer supports the FIA's determination to increase the spectacle.

Theissen also agrees that the cost of competing at the top level have spiraled upwards, but reiterated that as far as the technical regulations are concerned BMW is prepared for further debate.

FIA president Max Mosley wants to introduce 2.4-litre V8 engines which must last two grand prix weekends as well as standard ECU units, while the governing body wants to outlaw traction control and a variety of other driver aids with the intention of bringing the role of the driver to the fore.

We will be prepared to accept one or two of the proposals
Mario Theissen
"For me, the paper is made up of two parts," said Theissen. "The first part's aims we support. These are aimed at making the driver become more important by outlawing the electronics. These are then no longer aims but the technical solution."

"Part of the proposals I find very interesting. I am sure that we will be prepared to accept one or two of the proposals and maybe we can even offer a couple more."

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2004 at 19:33

Andy's Post Qualifying Report from Magny Cours

01-05-2004

MAGNY COURS SUITS THE BMW 320i

I am delighted to report Magny Cours is a circuit that suits the BMW 320i, unlike Valencia, which obviously suited the Alfa Romeo. This circuit is far faster with more flowing corners and that is what you need when you have a rear wheel drive car.

I ended up fourth for BMW Team Great Britain after qualifying, which could have been better as I was quickest in second free practice. It just shows how high our expectations are when fourth is not making us that happy. However, we are fairly sure we know the reason for this as after the session we found that something had moved in the rear suspension. This sort of thing happens when you hit the kerbs one too many times and a bit too hard! I had a spin at the end of free practice and found the balance had changed a lot between the sessions.

As for the race, I am confident as I feel with a good start here fourth to first into the first corner is possible. However, I am realistic and know that with Jörg Müller and Dirk Müller in front of me passing them at the start would be very difficult. I am hopeful I can get by Frank Diefenbacher in the SEAT and then perhaps follow the two BMW drivers and see what they are up to.

I feel we have the chance to get some ‘big’ points here and that is exactly what we must do. We have to be exceptionally good on circuits that suit us and equal to Alfa Romeo on those that do not.

It was also good to have a team-mate for the first time at RBM with Kurt Mollekens doing the next five races. He is a quick driver and was unlucky today to be as low as 13th. I am sure he will not be this far away from me for many sessions and that soon I may have him as my biggest opposition.

I must also send a get well message to our BMW lady driver, Paulien Zwart, who had an accident at the track on Monday getting to know the track. She is now down the road in Nevers Hospital with a broken pelvis and a broken ankle. It is a shame for her as she will be out for a long time and also a shame for us as she is a very pretty lady and brightens up the paddock. However, she was able to keep it in the family where her Carlo Motors car is concerned as her father, Klaas Zwart, is driving it this weekend.

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2004 at 23:13
 BUT Andy !!!!!!! you never said you wanted a Team mate, all this time . Peter and I would have been only to pleased to help the team out , its No problem.
SAFETYFAST
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 15:11
Andy Priaulx
Andy Scores First Win of FIA ETCC Season

03-05-2004

First Win of the Year in Magny Cours

It is nice to get that first win of the season in the bag. Last year I had to wait for Brno, which was our fourth weekend, so it is nice to be up there on the top step of the podium earlier.

I am happy with the overall job we did all weekend. The boys from RBM gave me a good car and we were quick from the word go. For some reason I missed the window of opportunity in qualifying, as I was confident we could have been on the front row. I also knew that I could be on the podium in the first race, but the incident with Frank Diefenbacher on the first lap made sure that didn’t happen. I want to see the video to see what exactly happened as I was not happy about what he did. Suffice to say we touched and I ended up in 20th position. It was then a matter of getting my head down and coming back through the field. The car felt good so I was able to pick off the opposition one by one and had the perfect position for race two – I finished eighth so was on pole.

I knew if I got away from the start well I could avoid any further disasters, and perhaps the fighting behind me would slow the others down. Jordi Gené in the SEAT followed me off the grid, but I didn’t feel he would be a big threat. Any challenge from him soon disappeared when he retired and then it was my job to build up as big a gap as possible. The Alfas were fighting among themselves and also watching their backs, as Jörg Müller was right behind them. I was so comfortable it even felt like winter testing, as I just had to get the right rhythm and make sure I made no mistakes.

I can’t thank the boys at BMW Team Great Britain enough for giving me the car. This means I am still in the Championship battle and I can now concentrate on a good weekend in Hockenhem in two weeks. We tested there in the winter and I was quick, so my confidence is high. On top of that we may stay here at Magny Cours tomorrow for a test and that all helps.

Once back home I shall be on duty with the Formula BMW UK Championship. They are racing at Silverstone next weekend so I shall be there looking after them. I have also been asked to be a guest commentator on the Motors TV coverage of the two races, so I hope those of you who are not at the race meeting will be watching the coverage.

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Z3_Tony View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 21:05
Well done Andy
Committee member South East Region.
Z Register Events organiser
CarlA View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I