FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMilltek Troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Milltek Troubles
    Posted: 29-April-2004 at 17:43
My Milltek started making rattly noises recently (thought the baffles were loose). They gradually got worse. Started it up at tesco on Sunday and it blew. Driving home and it sheared off (where the pipe meets the front of the front box).
I think these exhausts are excellent (muted sound good power) and hope this is only a one off. Milltek said they were surprised and would replace under their warranty if I sent them it. I've sent them it and hope for a positive response. I'll keep you posted.
Key question - anyone else had any problems?
Sponsored Links

kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 17:51
Simon, Sorry to hear of your problem. Roughly how many miles have you covered with it. I have only done around 1000 miles but have had no problems so far.

Couldn't find a "fingers crossed" smilie
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
pottsy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 17:55
Probably about 2000, very few track miles as well as engine has had new top end and bottom end in that time.

Millteks for M3s are fairly new anyway in the scheme of thigs aren't they? When did they first start selling, I've only known about them for about 2 years.
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 18:17
I don't know when they started with them as I only started looking in August last year. Hopefully we will get some response with folks who have had them fitting for longer.
Kevin
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 19:06

I had a problem with my milltek exhaust too, pottsy

The centre box ripped it's apart, it appeared to tear along the weld line. Powestation replaced the centre box but said they thought it would be unlikely that Milltek would be interrested.

It doesn't quite sound like what has happened to yours, but it may be interesting to find out if anyone else has/gets any more problems.

Who did you buy the exhaust from because it is their problem to replace your exhaust and not Millteks'?

Pikey

Old enough to know better, too young to care!
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 19:16
Pikey

What mileage had you done with it and how long had you had it fitted?
Kevin
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
MarkD View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 19:37
I'm afraid I think I may have a similar problem! My Miltek was fitted last August and was fine initially but since around December/January I started to notice a slight rattle when moving off from stationery - this has now got worse and it seems to rattle most at around 1000 revs exactly - though this disapears if you add or subtract throttle pressure.

The sound is hard to pin down but it sounds like it could be towards the rear. It could also be the middle box as this has had a few scrapes getting into and out of the driveway.

The car is going into Moesley Motors early next week for some work so I'm going to get them to have a look when it's on the ramp.

Mark
PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 20:22

Probably done about 4000 miles with the exhaust, fitted by powerstation. Had it roughly 6 - 8 months max.

That's exaxtly what happened to mine at first, MarkD. then it became a deeper growl under throttle load which became a horrendous noise once the box blew. Ripped a whole in it which let all the sound deadening out!

I must admit I may have scraped it once or twice but nothing really bad, so I didn't think it would have done any harm.

Pikey

Old enough to know better, too young to care!
PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 21:10

Originally posted by pottsy pottsy wrote:

My Milltek started making rattly noises recently (thought the baffles were loose). They gradually got worse. Started it up at tesco on Sunday and it blew. Driving home and it sheared off (where the pipe meets the front of the front box).
I think these exhausts are excellent (muted sound good power) and hope this is only a one off. Milltek said they were surprised and would replace under their warranty if I sent them it. I've sent them it and hope for a positive response. I'll keep you posted.
Key question - anyone else had any problems?

Pottsy, do you know how long the warranty is? My Miltek came with no warranty paperwork at all from Powerstation.

Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 22:15
Mine has that problem too. Mine has been rattly for a while. I have done a lot of miles with it and am just living with it. It`s like a loud buzz. The exhaust sound has matured well over the 30k miles I`ve had it on for (except for this annoying extra sound)but about 15k miles ago the buzz\rattle started. It occurs at a high rpm than 1000rpms though, and mostly when coming off the throttle and when it hits 3500rpm. Sounds like loose baffles to me.

I think i posted about this here some time ago when someone asked for opinions on the milltek exhaust.

Maybe supersprint is the way to go after all ?
Also my car isn`t super low, but I`ve still managed to scrape the zorst a few times....multistory carpark and a few speed ramps

Edited by Darren M
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 22:53
Are stainless steel zorsts guaranteed for life? That's my impression. Others thoughts........
Chris Miller View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 22:56
Pleased I went with Supersprint . Thought id made a bad decision after hearing everyone else go for Miltek.
Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 23:18
Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

Are stainless steel zorsts guaranteed for life? That's my impression. Others thoughts........

Guaranteed not to rust for life probably, and obviously it won`t. :). But any exhaust of poor interior quality(baffles/silencers whatever) wont last long whatever it`s made out of.

I`m always very sceptical of aftermarket stuff. For just less than 500 quid a stainless steel exhaust is appealing when the BMW one is something like 1200 quid. Thing is though, my original BMW had been on the car since new! Coverd 60k miles I think and nearly 16 years - obviously the age getting to it eventually.

So whats cheaper? A 1200 quid BMW exhaust that could last 100k miles(assuming more average miles than mine had covered over the 16 years), or an aftermarket one which is half the price but which could either fall apart or rattle after just a few months .

falkster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 23:24

Why didnt any of this come to light before the lot of us replaced our pipes for Milteks??

If I'd known this I would have got the superprint option

Z3M Roadster (gone....just...but not forgotten...yet)
E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
BMW 330d (new work horse)
Daimler Double 6 (no idea yet)
Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2004 at 23:41
As I mentioned I did post a comment back in Jan although it was less loud at the time. DOing many miles since fitting it I guess I was one of the first to come across the issue and nobody else to back up the claim so it was assumed I was the only one to have an issue with it. The Milltek, if sorted, still has the potential to be a great exhaust. Pity some have spent their money though and found this issue later on. Mine sounds great (with the windows shut so I don`t hear the rattle - ha ha).

".... and recently my car does have a bit of a buzz especially when coming off the throttle. Possibly a lose baffle but haven`t had this confirmed. BMW had a look around and couldn`t find anything obviously although I wonder if it is the exhaust shield but I think they checked this. It kind of sounds like that exhaust rattle/buzz Ferrari`s make. Only really hear it with the windows open. "
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2004 at 09:08
Pottsy,

I hope Milltek look after you and it was a one duff one. Still not a nice experience, I will get mine checked early next in preparation for Cadwell Park.

Darren M,

How long have you had yours for and how many miles have you covered with it?
Kevin
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2004 at 09:31
This is all quite intresting to read, as I was going to get one next month (still might of course) but it reminds me that Barry from ML once told me "don't bother with a stainless system on an M3 theres too much vibration and it will crack, stick with milkd steel" . . .
Floody View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2004 at 10:20
My car is fitted with a "Scorpion". It was fitted by the previous owner 4yrs. ago. Got the bill at home think its for £400.00 plus fitting. The only thing I have done was to cut off the DTM up swept tail pipes and have stright ones welded on. 
Mark E30 M3 RHD!!! now sold !!! still crying!!!!
E36 318 is in technoviolet, for sale
Thank's for the photo Coasting, Flood's on tour!
DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2004 at 13:02

And some say that Scorpion is poor quality.

It seems everyone bought bargain Milltek`s.

Defination of a bargain, Where both sides think they have cheated each other.bigcry

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2004 at 13:11
Originally posted by kevin kevin wrote:

Pottsy,

Darren M,

How long have you had yours for and how many miles have you covered with it?

Bought it with the group buy last year(if anyone remembers that) - I think around February time. My car was MOT`d straight afterwards and about one month ago it was MOT`d again so I guess that`s one year and one month with the Milltek. It is holding together but the buzz\vibration can be quite loud with the windows open especially. THe car has covered not that far off of 30k miles in this time but the buzz started some time ago - think it was the back end of last summer so probably only 5 months into having it fitted! Was quite low to start with but has got louder. The exhaust itself is louder than when new but sounds great which is why I say the sound has matured well except for the buzz\rattle.
Milage terms I didn`t do quite so many miles to start with, so it probalby started buzzing around 10k miles or a bit more.

Edited by Darren M
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic