Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMilltek Troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2004 at 12:43
The breather pipe rests in the battery tray. Is it supposed to be actually connected to the battery? Better go and and take a look methinks.
I think it came from the round circles on top of the battery. Just used the car today and I noticed there are a few tiny drops again.
Sponsored Links

PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2004 at 14:12

The breather pipe should push in the side of the battery. Are you sure it's not just water, as the rear light clusters sometimes leak water.

Dip a cloth in the substance and if, after a minute or two, it turns the cloth a funny colour then it will be battery acid.

I think Powerstations' customer service is appaling. Rich is just not interested in problems that customers have. They mainly deal with tuning turbo-nutter japenese-barge cars on the rolling road and so a bloke who only spends £500 on an exhuast is not really anything to get excited with.

Pikey 

Old enough to know better, too young to care!
Domo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2004 at 22:55

I had a full Milltek system including the down pipe fitted on my Audi and it's been crap! The car feels no more lively and just barks and low revs. It's been back twice to have welding done on it and it's rattling like a ******.

Edited to remove objectionable language

Edited by Nigel
www.xlmotorsport.com...Racing into the future
www.xlraceparts.com ... Quality BMW track and race parts
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2004 at 21:36
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

..... there have been many posts here on "problems" with the E30 M3 Milltek exhaust ..... I would be grateful for any comments from other Milltek owners which I can pass on (to Phil at Milltek) ..... Please email me with your comments ..... Thank you.

Obviously no-one else (other than PikeyM3) has an ongoing problem with their Milltek exhaust, as.....

I've had NO EMAILS FROM ANYBODY ELSE!

And that's what I've told Milltek today when we spoke.

They are quite happy to discuss the exhaust with anyone, but obviously this was a storm in a tea-cup, and not as much of a problem as was claimed.

So can we now stop moaning about the exhaust - or if you do think you still have a problem , then tell Phil (or me)!!
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2004 at 23:30
Since my previous post I've only had one further email about a problem Milltek exhaust. I have given the originator their number and suggested he contact them direct.

Pikey! Got yours sorted yet???

But don't care.
chippy69 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 12:21

Hi I am new to this forum and have been reading this thread with interest as my M3 needed a new exhaust a few weeks ago. I have spent the last few weeks thinking about what to do. I decided I had four choices; BMW system (developed over many years and miles and much money spent getting it right) Scorpion, Milltek or Supersprint.

I kept changing my mind everyday (I also at the time had no idea there were any issues with the Milltek system) for about a month. I talked to as many people as I know to get advice. Moseley recommended Supersprint, Racing Technologies (my mechanic) said there is nothing wrong with the Scorpion although it is loud but he did say if you want the best buy the BMW or make a single pipe system from scratch as he does on his racing cars. To be honest if I had the money I would have gone for the OEM system without hesitation but I could not justify over £1000. I was also advised by Nigel Moseley that I should not buy a SS system.

To cut a long and boring story short I took the plunge on Monday this week and bought a full Supersrint mild stainless system instead of the Milltek. I have yet to fit it but I think it will go on today so I will keep you posted as to what I think of the end result.

One last thing I found out about the Supersrint system is it is TUV approved, I do not know what difference this makes but I do know that it has to be relatively close in both design and noise levels to the original in order to get TUV approval.

Anyway I hope some of this helps

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 12:34
I believe it uses (Supersprint) the same twin 45mm size tubing. The Miltek uses a single 2.5" (63mm) I think?

There is also a Supersprint race system that uses twin 50mm tube with a single silencer.

Checkout Gustaves site on exhausts
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 12:48
The Supersprint System is mild steel --> rust
The Supersprint Race System is stainless steel --> no rust
The BMW is a mix of stainless (centre) and mild steel (back box) --> mix of rust (specially the back box where the tubing is going in)
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
chippy69 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 13:02

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

The BMW is a mix of stainless (centre) and mild steel (back box) --> mix of rust (specially the back box where the tubing is going in)

Interesting well I will let you know how it fares and as I got a v.good deal if it lasts a few years I will be happy but thanks for worrying me!

M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 18:04

The Supersprint is like the stock BMW system. It's a mixture of stainless steel and mild steel. It's a great exhaust. I had mine for 3 years and never had a problem. They sound nice too, slightly louder than stock, but a bit more bass to it. It doesn't drone when cruising either, but let you know it's there at WOT. You have made a good choice. The Scorpion seems like bit of a no no as they don't used the "X Pipe" which is an important part of the exhust tuning. I Don't know if I would want a Milltek either after all the trouble everyone is having.

I don't know what to do with the Sport Evo exhaust. The exhaust is ok at the moment, but at some point it's going to go south and I dread to think how much a centre section and a back box would be. I think the centre section is about £1200. The idea of putting an exhaust that is smaller than the stock one seems like a bad idea to me. It has got to effect the exhuast tuning. So you have twin 55mm secondaires on the EvoIII manifold and you go to twin 45 mm pipe on a Supersprint?!!! That got to mess with it slightly. Not sure what the stock EvoIII size is but it's bigger than that. I'll have to get under there with a vernier and have a measure up. Plus you then have the problen of mating the standard centre section to the EvoIII header. It all seems like bit of a bodge job to do it and that not really how I work.
I know Supersprint used to make a backbox for the EvoIII but it's not listed anymore.

I guess I might leave it stock or see if BTB can sort something out when the time comes. I'm only down the road from Haywood & Scott, but after the trouble Andy O had I'm steering well clear.

Edited by M3Pilot
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2004 at 21:45
M3Pilot,
the EVO3 midsection is only bigger up to the cats, the pipes behind the cat are the same dia like the rest of the M3's. The share the same end box, so connections are the same.
I was able to get my hands on a EVO3 section up to the cats and planning to do the rest in the same diametre myself. Eisenmann is a good back box. I try to take some pis while we are in Germany.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
chippy69 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2004 at 09:58

Originally posted by M3Pilot M3Pilot wrote:

The Supersprint is like the stock BMW system. It's a mixture of stainless steel and mild steel. It's a great exhaust. I had mine for 3 years and never had a problem. They sound nice too, slightly louder than stock, but a bit more bass to it. It doesn't drone when cruising either, but let you know it's there at WOT. You have made a good choice. The Scorpion seems like bit of a no no as they don't used the "X Pipe" which is an important part of the exhust tuning. I Don't know if I would want a Milltek either after all the trouble everyone is having.

I don't know what to do with the Sport Evo exhaust. The exhaust is ok at the moment, but at some point it's going to go south and I dread to think how much a centre section and a back box would be. I think the centre section is about £1200. The idea of putting an exhaust that is smaller than the stock one seems like a bad idea to me. It has got to effect the exhuast tuning. So you have twin 55mm secondaires on the EvoIII manifold and you go to twin 45 mm pipe on a Supersprint?!!! That got to mess with it slightly. Not sure what the stock EvoIII size is but it's bigger than that. I'll have to get under there with a vernier and have a measure up. Plus you then have the problen of mating the standard centre section to the EvoIII header. It all seems like bit of a bodge job to do it and that not really how I work.
I know Supersprint used to make a backbox for the EvoIII but it's not listed anymore.

I guess I might leave it stock or see if BTB can sort something out when the time comes. I'm only down the road from Haywood & Scott, but after the trouble Andy O had I'm steering well clear.

Thank you for confirming I have bought a decent exhaust I was worried!If you are interested I could have a chat with my guy and see if there is anything he can do for you, I believe it is a single pipe system.

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2004 at 09:13

-The four-pot engine has perfect primary balance, but inherently imperfect secondary balance. So it will vibrate, way more than a six pot. 

-There seems to be some confusion regarding materials. Not all stainless steels are non-magnetic, typically only 300 series grades are. There are also 400 series grades, and these are typically magnetic, and not quite as corrosion resistant as 300 series. 400 series pipes often look superficially 'rusty' after one winter.

Stainless steel car exhausts can be made out of either material type or a mixture. 400 series is typically slightly stronger, so the pipes may be made thinner, but this can lead to resonance problems.

Most of the stainless exhausts that I have encountered that have either cracked or  made nasty sounds (eg VW beetle-style 'chirruping' from the headers) have been in 400 series material. 

Many 400 series materials go extremely hard and brittle right next to the weld, and this means that they do tend to crack.

Reputable manufacturers of SS exhausts usually give either an unconditional lifetime warranty, or one with a caveat regarding the intial fitment of the system and the subsequent condition of the hangers. However, note, all those with extra-low suspension, none of them will warrant a system to resist being repeatedly dragged over the top of speed bumps.... 

I fitted a complete new exhaust system (including tubular manifold) to my 635 a few months ago. I took the trouble to post an article on

http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Most of this won't necessarily be of direct interest to M-car owners, but

1) there are some pictures of 300 and 400 series exhaust parts that have been exposed to the same corrosion conditions, and

2) at the end of the article I have added a post I wrote which goes into more detail re. materials and construction considerations for stainless exhausts.

3) Note this does not go into the topic of the design of the pipes too much, as this is a whole different and complex topic. IMHO there are definitely such things as 'good' and 'bad' exhausts, but if your engine management map is 'fixed' and does not adapt then any substantially different exhaust from OE ('good' or 'bad') should require a custom chip to get the best out of it.

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2004 at 22:39
Hello - I'm Back!!!!!!!

OK - went, as arranged, to MILLTEK on Friday - what great people!

Nothing too much trouble for them, car soon up on their ramp, long discussion (under the car) with Dave & Liam, and, in no time at all, Liam had swapped out the middle box for one of their latest design.
It's now double skinned,
and has extra bracing each end - including a sliding brace to more than cope with the e x p a n s i o n as it gets hotter.

He also replaced the brackets and hangers with the new ones I had brought along (including the ******* on the rear-box!)

Took it for test-drive - much nicer noise now, and finally meet and thanked Phil.

Nothing was too much for them, so the moral is ......

Don't bitch & moan on the forum, if you think you have a problem with your MILLTEK exhaust, get off your ass, and call them!
You've no excuse now, just follow the link!

Their after-sales service is second to none, and I've emailed them so - with a copy to BMWCC - and now I've said so here as well.

(So that should be the end of this topic!? )

Edited by Nigel

But don't care.
pottsy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2004 at 22:52
As per my previous notes - I concur with 'thepits'. Excellent service from Milltek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic