Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMilltek Troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 22:37
Richard, get a magnet out and lift your car up. Then you will see that the BMW centre section is completly out of STAINLESS STEEL. (trust an old sheet metal worker).
The end box is mild steel asking for beeing weld all the time where the condensation is collected (btm where the pipes are going in)

E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Sponsored Links

kevin View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2004 at 22:58
Originally posted by pottsy pottsy wrote:

Kevin, Havent forgotten your lever or manual, just been away this weekend (0-0 draw, what a waste of time).
No worries the seats work well without a manual and the lever is now on the inside so will only be needed in the unlikely event I have more than two people in the car.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 00:19
Pottsy,
I did scrape the exhaust over speed bumps a few times it has to be said. But nothing major.
The split isn't near the front is it? I mean not where the front part meets the manifolds? I say this because Bexleys bored out the Milltek there to make the internal diameter fit the Sport Evo's larger manifolds. They put weld on the outside of the exhaust to compensate.
My view is that the Milltek is the best sounding exhaust of the lot. It probably makes the most power too. I was told by the Powerstation lads that Milltek designed the exhaust so that the back pressures were spot on and therefore the power was maximised.
It also sounds the best. Supersprints are too quiet, as are genuine BMW exhausts. Scorpions make a horrid noise. Boomy. I have heard that their lack of X-pipe or Y-pipe design leads to less power.
So what now? I note that the Milltek is made in 4 pieces. This is so that cats can be inserted I was told. Perhaps Milltek will send replacement faulty sections instead of a whole new exhaust? Perhaps they will remanufacture some thicker exhausts?
Anyway Pottsy, are you going to Croft in July? I have decided to take the Boxster S. I'll race ya!!
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 08:38
Ah but have you heard my Group N Mr Warrington... now that sounds awesome, altough it has to be said it lacks the tarty chrome pipes on the end.
www.houlbrook.com
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 09:57
In Classic Cars July 2003 issue Barney from ML advises avoiding stainless as the harsh engine leads to it's cracking, they fit Supersprints.

Get what you pay for? Generally I think so, but the OEM is very expensive. I'm still running the original pipe but had a bit welded last year, so far so good.

David 87M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 10:42
Originally posted by therealmccoy therealmccoy wrote:

How the mighty have fallen! I have a Scorpion DTM on mine and apart from the mount for the backbox sheering with enthusiastic driving (heard this happend to all eventually??), I know of no other real problems. I know they are loud - but that's part of the appeal

So where now then?? First was the Scorpion, then came the SuperSprint then Miltek...

James
Couldnt agree more.
Yep the scropion's are loud. I have battered and scraped mine loads of times and it still sounds the same.
This Xpipe crap has it been proved that without it the engine runns poor? My car has a very smooth idle speed and revvs right up to the limiter without fuss?

On the down side its a little too loud.

I was thinking of going miltek to get away from the loudness but after reading this no thanks.
pottsy View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 12:52
Update, spoke to Phil (Millington) at Milltek - most helpful I have to say. He is sending replacement with a welded 'slider' on the front of the box to back up the strength of the weld.
Some points to note...
1. Milltek service - excellent and straightforward
2. Original batches had single skin box, they now have double skin
3. Each exhaust has a Batch 'tag' number printed on the underside. If you have any problems and are speaking to Milltek about it this will help them identify the batch and therefore construction.
4. The box has extra s/s wire holding the packing in to help with heat dispersion as well as the double skin. Phil reckons the two causes are temperature and 'panting' ie. the swap from vacuum (back pressure) to full pressure when on track. He is clear that our noise will 'mature' as this panting causes loss of some material. i suggested replacking and he said its possible and putting more/different material in at the start would help the noise but of course we would pay for performance.

In summary, good response from them. I think we pay the money and take our choice (but a more recent, double skinned milltek will probably be better than ours). From the positive way Phil discussed the issues (I summarised this thread) I wouldnt be surprised if he looked again at the design for some minor tweaks.

Hope all this helps. thanks for your input it helped with the phonecall and Phil appreciated the feedback.
Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 13:15
Have been reading this thread with interest. As mentioned on other threads I have a full LONGLIFE S/S exhaust, twin pipes throughout. It is noisy, I would say like a 7, but quite deep too. It has got noisier, I would guess from age and the baffles/packing becoming full of exhaust rubbish.
However, it hasn't cracked or split, nor have any of the welds given up. Plus it was only around the £4-500 (if I remember correctly as it was 2 years ago) but things do buzz a little inside the car...
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 13:25
Thats a great response from Milltek, just what you would hope for. Obviously Milltek don't have the financial resources and development time available like BMW and cannot know how their "new" products will last long term.

Keeping them informed of problems to highlight where weaknesses are will help them to develop and improve their product, e.g. now double skinned box.

Don't give up on it chaps, after all did you give up on Microsoft 95, 98, etc at the first sign of trouble?

Maybe Microsoft is a bad example though of how products get improved after time! but you know what I mean.

Kevin
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 13:44
Another thing to consider. If you have a close look at any OEM mild steel box you will find no (or little) welds. Sheet's are mostly "folded" together. Every weld is making material week. Small batch manufaturer can't afford all the tooling required, so much more needs to be welded. I didn't have a close look at a Miltek yet, but sometimes people tend to weld Stainless
with very little or no weldwire to produce a neat looking weld. This is a weak point as well as the material thickness is greatly reduced around the weld.
Don't want to knock Miltek's quality or knowledge, just a point to look at. Phil-C's Stainless exhaust is causing no trouble so far, so it can be done! I don't know why people alway refer to Satinless as brittle. From my point of view this isn't the case. Stainless contains no (or very very little) carbon. There are several qualities of S/S available, some not suitable for exhaust systems. Take a pice of mild steel sheet and bend it backward and forward. After a while it while break at the bend line. Now do the same with a S/S sheet of the correct quality. It will not break or at least sustain much more bend actions as the mild steel.
I have welded several exhaust's myself in very vibrating environments(2 Cylinder bikes) and always used stainless because of the strength.

Just my opinion
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 15:15
Simon,

Good to hear that you received good service from them.

I seem to remember that each piece of mine had a small plate with a "serial number" type thing on it. Must be the batch number you refer to. It was the same number on each piece. I'm kicking myself because I normally take photos of things like this but I was so keen to get it on the car I didn't. Oh well I will have to crawl under and have a look.

The chap from Milltek didn't happen to mention the batch number when they switched to double skinned did he?
Kevin
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 19:02
Originally posted by kevin kevin wrote:

Simon,

Good to hear that you received good service from them.

I seem to remember that each piece of mine had a small plate with a "serial number" type thing on it. Must be the batch number you refer to. It was the same number on each piece. I'm kicking myself because I normally take photos of things like this but I was so keen to get it on the car I didn't. Oh well I will have to crawl under and have a look.

The chap from Milltek didn't happen to mention the batch number when they switched to double skinned did he?

Good news from Miltek, at least a company with some level of customer service and willing to listen to customers and possibly make adjustments were they see fit.

Kevin think that's a little sad taking pics of the batch no., the exhaust ok, but the batch no's!! LOL

I remember the no's on the plates as well. I'm like you Kevin, as my car will cover 30k or less in 6 years or so, so hopefully mine will last.

Toby
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 19:23
Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

Kevin think that's a little sad taking pics of the batch no., the exhaust ok, but the batch no's!! LOL
Toby, Yep it's sad but it would mean that if something bad happened I would still have a record of identification numbers. I guess I might be a bit paranoid.
Kevin
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
dpelec View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 19:26

i have rung them up today and they confirmed mine was double skinned.i have only had mine 3 weeks.

R///POWER FOR NOW
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 19:28
Dale...result what is the batch number on yours?

Oh & your PM inbox is full
Kevin
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
dpelec View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 19:31

i wrote mine down i will get back to you in 5 mins when i find it.my pm box is now ready.

R///POWER FOR NOW
dpelec View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 19:34
on the back box is msbm095 and no's under that are 25581
R///POWER FOR NOW
dpelec View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 19:39
if your struggling to read the plates they are located on the underside of the exhaust.get on ya back slide one on wifes mirrors under and tilt to read bingo.i presume the plates are located in the same place on all exhausts.
R///POWER FOR NOW
kevin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 19:44
Cheers Dale, I have msbm094 & 244x2 so I will call tomorrow to see if mine is double skinned.
Kevin
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2004 at 19:45
Originally posted by kevin kevin wrote:

Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

Toby, Yep it's sad but it would mean that if something bad happened I would still have a record of identification numbers. I guess I might be a bit paranoid.

Just a little paranoid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic