Forum LockedE30 overheating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2004 at 14:46
Also check that the fan is OK. With the engine idling, see if you can stop it with a rolled up newspaper.
Sponsored Links

CheemaD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2004 at 14:01

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for your reply,

Doh, I should have thought of that, ( I just bought some rad flush this lunch time) the rad should be cooler at the bottom. The stat was replaced about two months ago, since then I have removed it and checked its operation in a sausepan with boiling water and a termostat. Everything with it is ok when I tested it.

The rad does stay hot when the engine is warm (again only at the top). The hose is very hot and the temperature guage does hit red on a hot day.

You mentioned the radiator cap 'not allowing the system to vent'. I don't understand what you mean. I didn't realise that the radiator cap is supposed to do anything when working normally. Is it worth me trying a replacemement.

Many thanks

Dal

Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2004 at 13:31

Cheema,

The radiator's working fine, hot water enters the radiator at the top, through gravity and pressure it is passed down through the radiator, as it runs down it is cooled in the core, so you should have hot at the top and cool at the bottom.

Are you getting flow through to the heater? Does it stay hot when the engine is warm? Other option could be the radiator cap, maybe not allowing the system to vent? You say the hose is hot, does it reach red on the guage?

Themostat changed?

Rob

Edited by Madrab
1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
CheemaD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2004 at 12:43

My appolgies, I forgot to mention that I did replace the pump as well, again without success.

Sorry

digitalfriction View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2004 at 12:37
I would definetly be looking at the water pump, they have crppy plastic impellors which break, the heat at the top of the radiator could be conducted through the top hose from the cylinder head, the water pump is easy to replace, and isnt very expensive, make sure you replace the sealing ring too, but be aware that you will need to drain the cooling system and flush it out.
CheemaD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2004 at 12:15

I have a 1993 316i Auto Lux (M40 engine) with 87,000 genuine miles. I have owned th evehicle for since Sept 03.

My car overheats on warm days in stationary traffic. I have  :-

1. Replaced the fan clutch without success.
2. Bled the system from the stat housing several times.
3. Did a basic rad flush with rad in-situ

The car is defintely overheating cos both top and bottom hoses get very very hot and on one occasion it did slightly overboil. Otherwise the car runs beautifully without any oil use and the power is ok.

However (this may be be a clue and I was wondering if anyone with a similar car could tell me if its normal with their car) on the very top quarter of the rad is getting hot, towards the bottom is cold and slightly warm in the middle.

Is this normal ?? If it was an air-lock in the rad surely the air should rise to the top of the rad and hence only the bottom of the rad should be hot and top cold.

Any clues or sujestions would be very very welcomed.

Many thanks

Dal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic