Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE34 Suspension kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2004 at 08:22

Fitted the suspension kit yesterday,went on without any problems. I didnt have to take the whole front shock out,just compressed the spring,unbolted the top bolts in the engine bay,then lowered the whole shock down and pulled it outwards from under the wing,then removed the spring,changed the insert and rebuilt it like that.

The car sits approx 40mm lower and im happy with that as i have 18" alloys and dont want it too low.

Sponsored Links

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2004 at 12:45
Originally posted by 535i sport 535i sport wrote:

Fitted the suspension kit yesterday,went on without any problems. I didnt have to take the whole front shock out,just compressed the spring,unbolted the top bolts in the engine bay,then lowered the whole shock down and pulled it outwards from under the wing,then removed the spring,changed the insert and rebuilt it like that.

The car sits approx 40mm lower and im happy with that as i have 18" alloys and dont want it too low.

Glad everything fitted ok, do you know who manufactured your new springs/shocks ? I have just ordered the Bilstein Sprintline kit which should tighten the handling up a bit

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

535i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2004 at 17:29

My kit was manafactured by system 2 and it is avaliable through www.proven-products.co.uk 

The handling is spot-on now,not too harsh or bumpy,just about how i wanted it.

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2004 at 23:39
I'll let you know how i get on with Bilstein kit.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Flash View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2004 at 23:00
So is replacing the suspension reasonably straight forward? i had a look at the bently manual and it looked like a total nightmare!!(but if you can do the fronts in situ it would half the job).
i was thinking about using eibach springs and boge shocks, but if i can get a decent kit for £300 i might have to get that.
one possible prob is that i'm running 10" wide 17s.....
You can sleep in your car, but you cant race your house!
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2004 at 15:45
Well I haven't posted for a while but it's good to see the old chestnuts are still going strong! The whole mtec top mount thing will sting anyone that believes the spring suppliers who say their springs fit 'all e34s'. Twaddle. Only go with a supplier that can tell you teh difference between mtec and std, or who at least lists them as different fitments. I bouthg sachs boge springs off GSF, and sent them back cos they don't fit my 535iS. If I ever do change the curent springs, I'll take a top mount into bmw first and ask them what it is. None of the info I could find at the time (last dec) was consistent with what I found on the car.
Of course, if you need new top mounts and want looks more than handling, changing to stds would be a hell of a lot simpler.

Anyone that wants to sell their old mtec springs, I might be interested. Got a bumpy driveway!
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2004 at 16:01
Originally posted by jetsetwilly2000 jetsetwilly2000 wrote:

Well I haven't posted for a while but it's good to see the old chestnuts are still going strong! The whole mtec top mount thing will sting anyone that believes the spring suppliers who say their springs fit 'all e34s'. Twaddle. Only go with a supplier that can tell you teh difference between mtec and std, or who at least lists them as different fitments. I bouthg sachs boge springs off GSF, and sent them back cos they don't fit my 535iS. If I ever do change the curent springs, I'll take a top mount into bmw first and ask them what it is. None of the info I could find at the time (last dec) was consistent with what I found on the car.
Of course, if you need new top mounts and want looks more than handling, changing to stds would be a hell of a lot simpler.

Anyone that wants to sell their old mtec springs, I might be interested. Got a bumpy driveway!

Yes i remember having this coversation before, i received the bilstein kit today and can confirm that the front springs are a perfect fit for the m-tec top mounts (i compared the original springs with the new ones) i will be throwing the GSF springs away when they have been removed but you are welcome to my original m-tec springs if you would like them (but i am not sure if the 525 sport springs are the same as the 535 ?).

Miles

Edited by e34m5

1991 525i Sport Manual

jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2004 at 16:55
Good point, they're not.

Oh well...glad you got sorted in the end.
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2004 at 18:47
Just an update on my Bilstein suspension, unfortunately it seems that Bilstein UK (aka Eurocarparts) did not supply the correct front shocks and they do not have any stock in the UK so i have got to wait up to 7 days whilst they ship some over from Germany , the worst thing is that all the front suspension has been removed from my car so i won't be able to use it until i get the replcacement shocks (as i don't want to pay to have the originals put back on).

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2004 at 19:41
Forgot to mention that i took the GSF Car Parts springs back to where i purchased them from and they have confirmed that they are definitely not for cars fitted with M-tech suspension ! But i knew that anyway.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

smorrice View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2004 at 15:34
at the risk of sounding stupid, how do i know if my car has the m-tech suspension?

its an 89 535i SE.

any help greatly appreciated
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2004 at 15:42
You normally had the m-tech suspension as part of the "Sport" package, however it was possible to order the m-tech suspension without the rest of the items, probably the best way to tell would be to give your VIN number to a BMW dealer who could then give you a print out of all the options on your car.

Another way to tell would be to compare it to a car that you know has "standard" suspension, the M-tech equipped car would sit approximately 15mm lower.

Hope that helps.

Miles

Edited by e34m5

1991 525i Sport Manual

smorrice View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2004 at 15:52
i have a feeling it wont be m-tech.
it sits quite high, and is quite wallowy.

im offshore at the moment, so i wont be able to go through the VIN/dealer route.

its a standard car altogether really, so ill take the risk and buy a kit for a standard set-up.

Thanks very much indeed Miles.

Jimbonic View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2004 at 17:13

I have a 535iSE that sits quite low and is wallowy and this does have the "Sports" option suspension, so don't take that as an indicator!   However, I found the BMW dealers very useful, as Miles says.  They faxed me a print out showing all options, so I now know how it left the factory - even if that differs slightly from how it arrived at my home!

This discussion seems to have been going on forever, but has anyone tried the Spax adjustable dampers and springs on a "Sport" option E34?  I got a quote for a Hartge set up (springs & shocks) and nearly choked to death!  £1154 + VAT fitted!  That's £300 more than BMW charge!

GSF quoted ~£200 for the 4 shocks, but I'm not convinced that they are "Sports" compatible.

Confused, or confused?

Jimbonic
1989 535iSE Manual, Sport pack, Leather, Climate Control
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2004 at 17:55
I emailed Spax directly and they confirmed that they do not produce a kit suitable for E34's with the M-tech suspension, i bought a set of lowering springs from GSF car parts which did not fit my M-tech equipped car (the top spring mount is different on the M-tech suspension) and ended up buying a Bilstein Sport Suspension kit which i am very happy with
One of the guys at the local GSF branch told me not to buy the "Sports" shocks from them as they weren't really up to the job and he recommended to go with Bilstein.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Jimbonic View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2004 at 17:59

Thanks v much for the words of wisdom!  There's not much to choose between the Spax and Bilsteins on cost; I was interested in the adjustability of the Spax - I'm planning a Nurburgring trip next year, if I can get the suspension, etc sorted by then.  But, hey!  Much better to get components that actually fit is what I say! 

Jimbonic
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2004 at 18:02
I even emailed Eibach to see if they could supply a Suspension kit, they said no but that i should speak to AC Schnitzer (supplied by Eibach), i can imagine how much that would cost £££££££££££££

I paid £400.59 inc VAT for my Bilstein Kit.....

Miles

Edited by e34m5

1991 525i Sport Manual

Jimbonic View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2004 at 09:18
Price sounds pretty good, considering it's £508 just for the shocks from BMW!!  Was it Bilstein UK (Eurocarparts) you got your kit from?  I might try Turner Motorsport in the States, once I've got all the data together (top mounting size, etc); they're selling a Bilstein shocks/H&R springs kit for $669, which is comparable with the good exchange rate we get at the moment.  Only trouble being that you can't shake someone gently by the throat if it all goes pear-shaped!
Jimbonic
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2004 at 09:22
I got mine from Motorsportworld but Eurocarparts are the UK distributor so the kit will be shipped from them.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Jimbonic View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2004 at 11:19
Thanks.  I've just had a look on their web site (I really should be working, but there you go!) and, as seems to be increasingly the case, there isn't a kit listed for the E34 535 - let alone with "Sports"/M-Tech suspension!!   I've e-mailed them, so we'll see...
Jimbonic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic