Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > The Big CoupĆ© Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW E46 Coupe Advice Please :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW E46 Coupe Advice Please :)
    Posted: 04-April-2004 at 16:36

Hi,

I am currently considering a 2000-2001 reg BMW E46 Coupe and have a few questions.

I was looking at the 318 coupe or the 320 coupe. Is the 320 that much better than the 318? (I know the 318 is 4 cylinder and the 320 is the famous 6 cylinder) is there really a huge difference?

Having not had any real bmw owning knowledge could you fill me in on the cost of running them?

For example are parts really that much more expensive then say a standard mondeo/vectra ( I obviously expect some increase, but not to astronomical levels)

Also how long do parts last in general? are they constantly in the garage with clutch/gearbox problems or faulty wiring (due to the amount of clever features they have?)

With regard to the engines how long do they last? and is servicing expensive? (I would imagine cambelts e.t.c are expensive?)

Any advice on this model would be great  (also do you use UK dealers to source parts or do a lot of you import to save on cost?)

Thanks Matt

Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2004 at 16:57

As far as parts go, I've found both new and second hand parts for my old beamer to be cheaper than for my everyday use vectra.

I'm sorry but I cant help you with the model you are looking at, but the 4 to 6 cylinder issue crops up from time to time, and the general opinion seems to be the 4 is almost as good but costs less to own.

I like the 6 cylinder roar with mine, but you dont even get that on the newer models, european noise limits or something similar.

Best Wishes

Nigel

DelBoyUK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2004 at 23:04

Thanks for the information Nigel.

Certainly bodes well if your beamer is cheaper to repair than a vectra

Can anyone else fill in the blanks?

Matt

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2004 at 09:25

Matt, in my experience BMWs generally cost more to service than fords/vauxhalls etc. For example when I was deciding what car to buy I looked at an st24 mondeo, nissan200sx and a bmw328. The BMW main dealer servicing was by far the most expensive. Major services for the Nissan and Ford were about £200 where as for the BMW my local main dealer quoted me £350+. I don't think the parts themselves are more expensive. Not sure about cambelts as mine doesn't have one. Do any of the newer BMWs have them?

Mechanically BMW's are strong and the engine if looked after should do 200k+ no probs.  

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2004 at 09:28
Somewhat in contrast to Peter, my 328i cost about the same to service as my Ford Puma...
CarlA View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
BMWCC & Coupe Register Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2004 at 18:57

I have a 318CI and I am very happy with the performance and the sound of the engine changes when you get above 4K rpm into a much more meaningful growl.

I have only had 1 service so far (Oil and Safety) which was £117, which was about the same as my last company Mondeo.

I don't think you will be disapointed with either model

If you join the club you also get discounted parts as well, what more can you want!!

DelBoyUK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2004 at 20:27
Originally posted by CarlA CarlA wrote:

I have a 318CI and I am very happy with the performance and the sound of the engine changes when you get above 4K rpm into a much more meaningful growl.

I have only had 1 service so far (Oil and Safety) which was £117, which was about the same as my last company Mondeo.

I don't think you will be disapointed with either model

If you join the club you also get discounted parts as well, what more can you want!!

The 318ci seems the best buy with apparent lower running costs (petrol, insurance and parts), then I still have that niggling feeling that im missing out by not going for the 6 cylinder version

Also can anyone confirm whether the 318ci has a timing belt/cambelt? and if not what does it use instead? (ie is it more costly)

One other slight problem I have, BMW exclusitivity, there just doesnt seem to be much of it left anymore  or is this more reserved towards the 3 series 5 door?

Thanks again

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2004 at 22:57

One other slight problem I have, BMW exclusitivity, there just doesnt seem to be much of it left anymore  or is this more reserved towards the 3 series 5 door?

Thanks again

[/QUOTE]

If its good quality, and sensibly priced, its going to be popular I'm afraid !!

Best Wishes

Nigel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2004 at 09:08

Matt,

If it doesn't have a cambelt it will have a chain which is better since it doesn't need changing, unless it starts to get noisey. If the engine is looked after the chain should last for a long time.

With respect to servicing here are the prices I was quoted for servicing the three cars I looked at:

Mondeo ST24  Minor £98   Major £220

Nissan 200sx  Minor £140 Major £200  every second Major £250

BMW328         Oil service £110  Inspection1 £250  Inspection2 £350+

Both the BMW and Ford prices are were discounted because the cars were over 4 years old.

barf View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2004 at 11:06

stick you hand in you pocket and buy a 328ci. they are getting reasonably cheap these days. i looked at a 328ci 2 weeks ago with the intention of keeping my sport and to run a newer car, but when i did my sums, i could'nt really afford to run 3 cars! not yet anyway ( the kids have dashed my plans again)  just me being greedy i suppose

if you cant afford to run a 328, the 323 (2.5) is a nice compromise.

as for aural delights, a scorpion or miltek exhaust will sort that minor problem out!

DelBoyUK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2004 at 13:49
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

If its good quality, and sensibly priced, its going to be popular I'm afraid !!

True and I cant see anything that comes close for the money with the same build quality, rwd e.t.c

DelBoyUK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2004 at 13:59
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Matt,

If it doesn't have a cambelt it will have a chain which is better since it doesn't need changing, unless it starts to get noisey. If the engine is looked after the chain should last for a long time.

With respect to servicing here are the prices I was quoted for servicing the three cars I looked at:

Mondeo ST24  Minor £98   Major £220

Nissan 200sx  Minor £140 Major £200  every second Major £250

BMW328         Oil service £110  Inspection1 £250  Inspection2 £350+

Both the BMW and Ford prices are were discounted because the cars were over 4 years old.

Cheers for the info

DelBoyUK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2004 at 14:00
Originally posted by barf barf wrote:

stick you hand in you pocket and buy a 328ci. they are getting reasonably cheap these days. i looked at a 328ci 2 weeks ago with the intention of keeping my sport and to run a newer car, but when i did my sums, i could'nt really afford to run 3 cars! not yet anyway ( the kids have dashed my plans again)  just me being greedy i suppose

if you cant afford to run a 328, the 323 (2.5) is a nice compromise.

as for aural delights, a scorpion or miltek exhaust will sort that minor problem out!

I need something with reasonably low insurance, ie the 318 and 320

Thanks for the suggestion though

barf View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2004 at 14:45

a friend of mine used to own a 320ci and he loved it. they have a 2.2ltr 6 pot and they are very sweet. people have said in the past that the 323 (2.5ltr) motor is a lovely free revving thing but i reckon that the 2.2 320 might be even better!

to peter and webdunk, am i right in saying that the latest small 6 pots are called m54's? or are they still coded as m52

insurance is a problem for a lot of people these days, but i think that it is worth looking at the 320 instead of the 4 pot 318. the 318 valvetronic is a highly regarded lump but they just dont have that............sexyness that 6 pots posess!

the choice is yours 

barf View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2004 at 14:48
actually, i dont think the 318 valvetronics were built until early 2002. i could be wrong though (i usually am!) 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2004 at 19:24

Not sure about the coding of the new engines. The the 2.2 six pot 320 is quite a new car and it has 170bhp which is the same as the older 323 2.5 engine. The new 318 actually has a 2.0 143bhp four pot and is as you say a highly rated car. Not sure when they started making them but it was probably around 2002.

Matt, have you considered a 320d saloon. They come with 150bhp (or 136 for the older ones) and about 236lbft of torque which is more than a 330petrol. It will be cheaper to run and faster than a 320 petrol, at least in terms of in gear accelleration.

DelBoyUK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2004 at 12:58

Originally posted by barf barf wrote:

actually, i dont think the 318 valvetronics were built until early 2002. i could be wrong though (i usually am!) 

Interesting point, as I think the new E46 coupe came out in 2000 and it had the 1.8 engine from the start, did they change this engine in 2002 then? or did the e46 coupe just get it earlier?

DelBoyUK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2004 at 13:00

Not sure about the coding of the new engines. The the 2.2 six pot 320 is quite a new car and it has 170bhp which is the same as the older 323 2.5 engine. The new 318 actually has a 2.0 143bhp four pot and is as you say a highly rated car. Not sure when they started making them but it was probably around 2002.

Matt, have you considered a 320d saloon. They come with 150bhp (or 136 for the older ones) and about 236lbft of torque which is more than a 330petrol. It will be cheaper to run and faster than a 320 petrol, at least in terms of in gear accelleration.

I didnt really fancy a saloon, but if they do a coupe 320d (will have to check) it may be interesting. I think my only concerns would be reports about issues with the glow plugs? and that it can be costly to sort out, also I only really have experience with petrol engines, but it is certainly worth investigating.

Thanks

Update: Just had a look at the 2004 BMW Brochure and checked the 0-60, 50-70 e.t.c and it certainly does seem much more impressive, 2 second difference between the 318ci and the 320cd and it also faster than the 325ci and better fuel economy.

But what is it like to maintain? (im assuming expensive) due to special diesel things like glow plugs... also what is the life span of these engines in comparison and are they noisy? (chug chug)  

Edited by DelBoyUK

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2004 at 20:27

I was in my local BMW dealer this afternoon and they have a 320 deisel coupe sport in. It looks great. Leather, 18inch alloys, body kit, sports seats, sports suspension, electric everything, climate control and so on. The only downside is the basic on the road price is 27k and the one in the showroom has 6K worth of extras on top of that. 33K is a lot for a 2 litre deisel 3 series. They also have a 320 deisel ES which is a much more reasonable 20K and although it is a saloon and the spec is quite low it still has sports suspension.

The deisels will be a bit noisier but these days they are a lot quieter than they used to be.  

DelBoyUK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2004 at 17:12

I was in my local BMW dealer this afternoon and they have a 320 deisel coupe sport in. It looks great. Leather, 18inch alloys, body kit, sports seats, sports suspension, electric everything, climate control and so on. The only downside is the basic on the road price is 27k and the one in the showroom has 6K worth of extras on top of that. 33K is a lot for a 2 litre deisel 3 series. They also have a 320 deisel ES which is a much more reasonable 20K and although it is a saloon and the spec is quite low it still has sports suspension.

The deisels will be a bit noisier but these days they are a lot quieter than they used to be.  

The 320 diesel sport coupe sounds nice

I will have to check what year they were introduced and then go for a test drive

Thanks
Matt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic