Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTrade Stands!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trade Stands!
    Posted: 09-March-2004 at 12:43
I know that this has been brought up before, but can we encourage the trade to bring more stands to the shows. After all you can only look at cars for so long.
If the Drivers Club can organise a fair few for their Donnington show in October, surely the CC can do the same for the national at least. (or don't the CC want trade stands?) I for one like to trawl the autojumbles for that elusive part, just polish and the odd brochure doesn't cut it really!
I think this needs to be addressed, especially for the August event.

AG
we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2004 at 22:40

From what has been said on here, cost to the traders seems to be a big problem, and thats down to the people who own the location.

If a trader has to get there, spend all day there, and only ends up breaking even, or worse, who can blame them for staying away.

Rockingham was the first time the IAM had been able to attend that venue, as without the good work of John Safe, and the club to BMW comms, the IAM had been quoted a fortune to attend past events, and they are a charity, so what chance do traders stand ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2004 at 12:05
Can this be rectified in any way? Or will these venues deem the end of the autojumble and trade stand as we have seen it over the past few years? It's a real shame, as I have spoken to quite a few people who were at Rockingham, and they were hoping to find spares etc for their cars.
we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2004 at 11:50

I'm not sure , perhaps contact the club office, or one of the committee chappies.

They dont all use the forum, so may not even know about your enquiery.

Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2004 at 13:39

OOOOHHHHH YES!!!!!!!!! they do. Gaydon should Have much more, to see, Buy, and Do.

SAFETYFAST

325i Ron View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2004 at 19:59
They was a complaint on the e30zone re trade stands and as I told them it is not easy to get the traders to come to a show. You send out letters and make phone calls all at a cost and you get noware. If we could garantee the number of people coming to show we would not have a problem( approx 600 at Rockingham) I have been running a small local show in Taunton for the last 5 years and I think I have the confidence of a few loyal traders> I have spoken to Andrew at the Club office and there will be a big effert to get more at Gaydon. If you were a trader would you want to pay to sell you goods stood in the middle of a field?
Ron Parish
(E30 Register Chairman)
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2004 at 21:01
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

OOOOHHHHH YES!!!!!!!!! they do. Gaydon should Have much more, to see, Buy, and Do.

SAFETYFAST

Well I hope so it was pretty dismal last year!
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 00:48

Look John

All these volunteers to help you out lol

Best Wishes

Nigel

M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 12:19
Gaydon last year must have been quite a captive audience, 2500+ visitors, 5 trade stands, only one selling car parts if I remember.
I'll do some pushing if need be!

Edited by M3AG
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 13:07

Great!!!!!! thankyou.Many hands will make us smile.  Will put up details on site in next week or so, and the How TO.

SAFETYFAST

Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 17:57
I do trade stands at shows and the like during the summer... horse and hound type stuff.

Some venues are cheap.. local pony shows charge around £20.. they are great.. bigger 'county' shows are too expensive for me so I leave them alone.

With Rockingham.. the trader pays his rent to the circuit and it's quite a lot of money.. and with the Car Club being unable to estimate how many punters there would be.. it is not suprising you didn't get many stalls.

Donington show is different.. it is much cheaper to stand there than The Rock and you know you are guaranteed a crowd.

I pleaded our case with Silverstone a few years back when we had the Oktoberfest there.. tried to get the charges reduced for the traders.. but to no avail, they weren't interested... so the traders that did come had a bad day and probably went home sulking never to return to a Car Club show again.

Nick
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2004 at 19:06

Thats y Donington is supported.we both know the "squeZZe-em till they cry" mentality, till no-one comes anymore.Just look at Nurburgrings way of life. Something is going on 365 days a year.from school coaches showing the Famous circuit(ensuring the future PetrolHeads Come see)to pedal biking, walk the Ring, ++++.Car Boot, greens walk about. adopt a Bug etc.SO-It makes Money, not till they cry, but till the next welcome.Maybe!!!!!!! PalmerSport MAY change that????????????????

SAFETYFAST

325i Ron View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2004 at 13:19
M3AG

I am at the moment working on my show at Hestercombe, see my other post in this forum. I have been doing it now for 5 years now and the biggest problem is getting traders. I have already lost 2 for this year they both say unable to come due to costs. I thought that as you were volantering to help and that getting traders seems to be a problem for most shows, what if we had a national committee to look after this problem. They could then cocentrate on this and build up a data base. They would get to know the people to contact etc. This would free up time for people organnising a show and when we wanted a trader we contact the committee. All comments wellcome.

Ron Parish
(E30 Register Chairman)
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2004 at 14:44

Any  Practical help, is more than welcome . It would have to be on a Regional basis, very few traders would GO national due to time & expence.With our regions large and spread out, it needs to be made interesting for traders not to have to drive Hundreds of miles.We need to have  regional , North-South-East-West sections when planning events.This would be more interesting for getting help to run an event, not the same regulars doing all the work, spread it around and Everyone gets to enjoy and look around at whats going on.Plus not all drivers have the time to travel so often.So would 3-4 Trader reps in each Region be able to do the Biz???Gaydon because of its Location and the MWay choice, is as a National, in a fortunate position.We need to help the smaller events more.I think you have to choose the traders to be contacted, with CARE.Local one,s will still benifit after the event has been & gone.So will be happier to come again to another one of our Club events . Costs for them to attend are the KEY, so much care needed to arrive at a cost they have to pay.

SAFETYFAST

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2004 at 15:07
I'd be more than happy to help chaps.
Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel Marston View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2004 at 00:26
I thought I would add my 2p here. Some of you probably saw me at several concourses last year with my accessories trade stand situated in my gazebo. I had decided to try and attend as many shows as possible to test the water. I live in Sunderland but travelled to the likes of BMW Sunday at Hestercombe Gardens nr Taunton, the SW concourse at Athelhampton House nr Dorchester, the Wessex concourse in Weald nr Chichester (if I remember right), the SE concourse at Paddock Wood in Kent, Gaydon in Warwickshire, Tatton Park near Manchester and although not the car clubs event, Donnington.

It doesn't take much working out that I travelled a good few miles during the year. The preparation for each show plus travel and the show itself amounted to roughly 3 days for a 1 day event if you take into consideration the setting out of items on display boards prior to the event, pricing, ordering and checking of stock and setting up on the day.

I managed to put my entire stock, gazebo, tables etc into my E34 540i not to mention my girlfriend and our overnight bags. Most of the shows included an overnight stay where we had to unload the entire stock of accesories in numerous boxes into the hotel room for security reasons (we got some funny looks!). Then the next morning, we had to load it all back into the car so it all had to be loaded and unloaded 3 times in all for a 1 day show.

Obviously, all of this costs - the petrol and running costs of the 540i, the hotel, food, trade stand entry fees, financial outlay for stock, display materials etc etc

Will I be doing it all again this year??? No is the short answer.

I will be attending some shows but not those that I have to drive to the ends on the earth for as once you take into consideration the effort that it all takes and the profit that you make, it simply isn't worth it for what you can make (I actually made a loss on a couple of shows).

I don't regret doing it because I did enjoy it as well as get to meet many people that I wouldn't have done otherwise, but this year, I had to draw the line somewhere. I will say that I found all of the organisers of these shows to be very helpful and courteous and they couldn't have made me feel more welcome.

Most just simply asked me to provide a prize for the raffle whereas others levied a very reasonable fee. The simple fact of the matter and the reason that more traders don't turn up is that the amount of profit (and that's what it's all about) you can make from a show with around 70 or 80 cars isn't worth the effort. Even if the shows were local, many traders still won't attend because the type of money they need to make simply won't happen at the size of the events concerned. I am in the minority as I do it not simply to make a profit but I enjoy it and the contact with the people that I meet.

This year, I'll only be attending the shows that aren't too far from me or the larger ones such as Gaydon. The fees are a little higher for Gaydon but it's not OTT. I did enquire about Rockingham but the fee they were asking for was much too high for what was an unknown quantity.

With the folding of the BMW Drivers Club, maybe we as a club can do something like Donnington (although I hear rumours that Donnington will still go ahead this year). There is plenty of scope in my opinion to have 2 Donnington shows every year as long as they are correctly spaced apart. This is an expensive show to attend for traders but one that they are prepared to pay for because of it's profitability.

This year, I hope to appear at Gaydon, Tatton Park, Harewood House (if it's on) and Donnington but unfortunately, I will miss those excellent shows that are much further south.

I'll shut up now!

Nigel
(Nigel Marston Motors)

PS. Do I break the record for the longest post or the 540i with the most miles????
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2004 at 10:16

Nigel, you break the record for both, and please dont shut up cos we need all the feedback possible.Many thanks for the time and trouble to give everyone , the "Real story of  Trader Nige".To many, your display and sale, just happens like magic overnight . I think we should support the traders who support the Club on a regular basis.If you enjoy meeting people, thats a bonus but it doesnt fill the tank.Are you going to Weston Park on 11&12 April, for Biz or viewing the transport Fest??.

SAFETYFAST
Badger 540 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2004 at 21:33

Is your 540i the blue N reg one that was at Gaydon next to the trade stands ? Nice colour.

I was looking at this car and comparing the equipment levels with my '93 540i. (Air bag, cruise, high level brake light)

Andy    West Midlands   Waving

Badger540      West Midlands
Nigel Marston View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 01:04
B7VP

I won't be at Weston Park with my stall but I may try to get there otherwise - it will make a change to go and not have to work.

If I took a stand, I would probably have to do both days and I know that the promoters charge at this event so with the cost of travel, hotel etc etc, I thought I would give the stall a miss (I'm doing so many miles at the moment that I will be ashamed for others to see the mess my 540i is in if I turn up as a visitor!!)

That said, I'm not adverse to bringing specific items with me if I am contacted in advance.

Andy

Yes, that was my 540i - it's Avus Blue. It was parked behind my stall at Gaydon. I was aware of people taking photos from time to time but didn't get much of a chance to see who.

It has 162K on now and is going strong. It needs some serious cleaning up as I just mentioned but it goes well otherwise. It had an alusil block put in about 1000 miles before I bought it. What differences did you notice between your car and mine?

Nigel
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2004 at 14:49

Hi Nigel, If you are going to have a look around, maybe the sunday would be a good time. Car Clubs display of Cars for Concours (your 540!!!) Zed Register Roadsters And Z MCoupe,s having their first Show n Shine in public.Trophy,s and Plaques just waiting for the winners, Club long distance award(if it was Total Miles you would be in with a shout) Plus the Good Guys & Girls from SouthEast Region doing their Cultural tour and doing the Biz on Sunday as well, with Central Region Doer,s .What a Busmans Holiday for you ,

PS, what sort of things can you bring???

SAFETYFAST
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic