Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedon the lookout for an e30 m3!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2004 at 21:21
Tubbs

U have PM
Rich.
Sponsored Links

Rags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 08:45

Originally posted by rr_ww rr_ww wrote:

Rags

Nice WWW in your sig! Bet your going to b*st*rdise any M3. Big stick on Subaru spoiler. 20" rims, neons....

I was only taking the Michael.

The problem, as I see it, is that clearly the M3 is the fastest car you've been in, so naturally you want one. I was pointing out that there are other cars, which are faster, and around the same money. For the price of a E30 you can pick up a 3.0 Litre E36 M3 which will be RHD and more modern looking. For 8K you can get a G reg Nissan Skyline GTR, with around 45K miles and 450-500BHP is only another £1500 on top of that!GTR ad

As you're probably becoming aware, a lot of M3's are overpriced. eBay Caris a prime example. As is (IMHO) Robs cars above.

Red car on AT is roughly the sort of money you need to start at to get a nice one nowadays. Many were thrashed/smashed or just not looked after. Munich LegendsReckon for a good car expect to pay £10-12K. Which is optimistic, but a Low (50Kish) 215 car with history will be this amount!

Heres some of the cars currently for sale.
215 Red car

Silver 89 car

And to make my point White 58K FSH

or

White 48K 215

90% of the cars you'll find at under £7K will be early cars, with over 100K on the clock. Its not really a dig, I was just trying to make you aware that you'll need to be committed if you are after a good car. And have a fair amount of money to spend. Not just on buying and insuring (have you had a quote yet?) but also the spares. Mate get his from he dealers, and a) they are expensive but b) its frustrating the amount of stuff, that is "special back order"

An M3 isnt for everyone. Not trying to be elitist, cos if you can afford to get one,then do. But dont become so blinkered as to what else is availiable for the same money.

Evening,

It seems to me that many assumptions have been made on your part!

With regards to your comment about the e30 m3 being the fastest car that i have driven/been in, well thats total cobblers. Did I state that anywhere above? Doesnt look like it from where I am sitting. I have been around cars all my life and currently, on the weekends, drive about in my dads XJR and his soon to be departed 996 carrera.

Anyway, The reason the e30 M3 is next on my list of cars, is due to the fact that it is the ultimate car with regards to what i want. I am not after pure power and lightening acceleration. If i wanted that, i would buy an Integra Type R or a Toyota supra or the previously mentioned Skylines. But i am not looking for silly power or power after 5k rpm.

Currently I drive 2 cars, an e36 compact and a mk1 golf cabrio(track/fun car!)

The Golf has a 2litre 8v on Lumpy Schrick 285 deg cams, heavily ported and gas flowed head, 4 branch manifold which is good for between 160-170 bhp depending upon the rollers. It also handles like a dream with eibach ARB's and koni adj. damping suspension.

I feel that the e30 m3 will suit me down to the ground.

As for insurance, best quotes are between 900fc and 1200 fc which is pretty good.

One thing that does seem strange is your reluctance to encourage me to purchase an M3.

Cheers everyone that managed to contribute some useful and relevant advice , keep it coming.

Edited by Rags
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 09:03
Rags

I see you are looking for a Mint M3 and you want to use it on the track, is my assumption correct? You can get good track cars for £5k, that just need a little fetteling and use them as daily drivers as well.

Or is it just for road use then yeah go for it with a Mint one.
Rags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 09:44

hello,

my aim is to find a daily driver. But I tube it to work anyway so its not a 'daily hack' as such.

I also recognise i will not find a 'mint' m3 at this price but i am looking for the best example i can find.

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 10:02
I doubt if there really any proper 'mint' cars around, (only a few museum pieces that never see the light of day, and whats the point of that) until people start doing proper restoration jobs, bare shell up. They are at the earliest 13 years old . . .
Rags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 14:11

Hello,

I guess mint was the wrong word to use but i require one in good nick.

One that is mechanically sound, has had the timing chain replaced and has no rust. Leather wouldnt go a miss but i might be dreaming a bit..who knows tho!

We will see!

Chris Miller View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 14:34
Ahh

Not the old timing chain debate again. Doesnt really need doing. It was a vicious rumour started by one of the independant repairers..

Chris.
Rags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 15:17
Originally posted by Chris Miller Chris Miller wrote:

Ahh

Not the old timing chain debate again. Doesnt really need doing. It was a vicious rumour started by one of the independant repairers..

Chris.

cough ML cough

215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 15:18
Rags I suggest you do a search on this site for 'timing chain' all new buyers should read what owners have to say. Also have a look at the top of the message list.

and here
Rags View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 15:48

Originally posted by 215DMX 215DMX wrote:

Rags I suggest you do a search on this site for 'timing chain' all new buyers should read what owners have to say. Also have a look at the top of the message list.

and here

I have done my friend.

Done some good research on the topic. In my opinion, its is wisest to buy an e30 m3 with a replacement cam chain.

The reason i say this is because this myth(or truth) has been cast into the minds of potential buyers, so if i were to have to put my car up for sale, i would be able to state the cam chain had been replaced.

Obviously the e36 non oil fed tensioner seems a very worthwhile modification as rattle on start up would worry the hell out of me as I like everything to be sounding right.

As everyone says, mileage shouldnt be a problem if well maintained and serviced with the correct oil at sensible intervals. Also, a non abused track example is a definite.

Wish me luck in the quest to find the car i require!

jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 22:45
A Question.
If the E30M3 is such a wonderful drivers car,why is it that there are so many alledged low mileage cars around?
Didn`t their owners ever drive them,not what you would call enthusiast owners then?If a 13+ year old M3 has only 40/50k on the clock how many years has it spent in some garage/barn.The clock doesn`t stop just because the speedo`s not moving.
As others have said,mileage is just a number,condition is everything as is history.
Cheers Jon
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2004 at 04:20
Originally posted by jon90 jon90 wrote:

A Question.
If the E30M3 is such a wonderful drivers car,why is it that there are so many alledged low mileage cars around?
Didn`t their owners ever drive them,not what you would call enthusiast owners then?If a 13+ year old M3 has only 40/50k on the clock how many years has it spent in some garage/barn.The clock doesn`t stop just because the speedo`s not moving.
As others have said,mileage is just a number,condition is everything as is history.
Cheers Jon

Jon

For me it's not just driving, but ownership. Mine gets runs out to Le Mans, etc. I waited 9 years to get one and in my opinion a good one and one of the last 100 made as well. That's my thoughts as to my low mileage.

jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2004 at 20:47
But,if you hardly use it.And god forbid,take it out on the track(as we all know,you never buy a car that has seen a trackday)You will only have other peoples views on what its like to drive on the limit in an enviroment for which it was designed,and where it made its history.
Sure you can wash and polish it on a sunday,take it to the odd club rally if its not raining.But it is a drivers car,a car made to be driven on the limit and it does it brilliantly,just seems a shame to me to sentance one to a life as a garage queen.
No offence meant just friendly banter.
Cheers Jon
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2004 at 11:05
Originally posted by jon90 jon90 wrote:

But,if you hardly use it.And god forbid,take it out on the track(as we all know,you never buy a car that has seen a trackday)You will only have other peoples views on what its like to drive on the limit in an enviroment for which it was designed,and where it made its history.
Sure you can wash and polish it on a sunday,take it to the odd club rally if its not raining.But it is a drivers car,a car made to be driven on the limit and it does it brilliantly,just seems a shame to me to sentance one to a life as a garage queen.
No offence meant just friendly banter.
Cheers Jon

No offence taken. It's seen a track and i know what it can do and have embarassed quite a few superior cars like porsches etc. I've done that bit now. I've got my C36 for speed and will get another M3 and turn it into a track car.
m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2004 at 21:20
Originally posted by Rags Rags wrote:

Wish me luck in the quest to find the car i require!

In my view, at your budget, you will get something close to what you are looking for, but you must be prepared to look at and discount a good number of right old moon howlers before you find the right car.  I must have looked at six or seven before I bought mine and some were atrociously misdescribed by the prospective sellers.

There are very few in Scotland and even fewer for sale. I was travelling from Glasgow as far as Portsmouth and Bournemouth to look at them :- "Right, this'll obviously be the one you are planning to break for spares, where's the one described as 'perfect example of cherished collector's car' then?"

Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic