Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGentlemen, start your engines.....(F1)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 10:12
I for one believe that there should not be so much restriction on technology as the IS Formula 1, it is suposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport and they should be allowed to use the best technology available to produce the best and fastest automobile to go round a track.

The drawback is of course that all this costs so much money that not all the teams can afford it
94 E36 M3 Coupe
Sponsored Links

ozzy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 10:26

Cant wait till tomorrow morning for the 1st quailifying of the year.

Come on Williams/Montoya, we have to beat Ferrari !

Does anyone go to the Gp's?  Went to the French and British ones last year.

DC will not win the championship, for an outside bet, watch J. Button.

encomium View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 10:32
I've been to the malaysian GP 3 times......amazing track and venue
94 E36 M3 Coupe
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 10:44
Was @ France 2001 and was pretty much bored stupid. Only real entertainment was when Eddie Irvine decided to spin off in the same spot every time during practice .
The support races - Formula France & Formula 3000 were much better.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
bigfub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 12:35
Took advantage of the "special" offer and bought tickets for all 3 days at Silverstone this year. Just got to hope the weather stays right...
'86 635CSi - Sold
'88 E34 535i
M3PSM View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 13:10
I go to Spa every year (except last year) & will be one the saddo's up at 2:am for the next 2 days with my Kimmi hat on.
Got a group of mates round too so we'll probably get drunk, fall asleep & miss the whole thing (again)
M BLUR View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
ZeeMax ROADSTER

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 13:18

I would agree the oval & circuit racing are very different though I would have to say from having watched both over the years - seconds can be lost and gained in Indy or Cart but seems so much harder to do in F1.. the margin of error between pole and back of the grid is much smaller and cars are less evenly matched - placing more onus on drivers to eak out more from driving skill.

As to driving standard - well cream rises to the top & name one oval racer who wouldn't jump at an F1 seat...those who could actually adapt to proper circuit racing that is..?

Ironically there's a lot I like about American cart racing - mainly because technology lags a couple of years.. more onus is placed on engines, less on pit stop tactics and it is less weighed down by regs introduced for Marketing and obscure Euro safety regulations. I for one would like to see 1 oval-style race on the F1 calendar but then there's a few things (old circuits) I would like to see on the calendar.. it's ok building super high tech circuits over the world but surely not at the expense of our racing heritage tracks throughout Europe & US (ahh Palm beach anyone?)..

Only yesterday (before he stormed off) JPM was saying the FW26 still had a bit to go before it was the fastest out there and wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari was quickest from outset.. that indicates a few things still unresolved from testing.

We know the Renaults have excellent chassis and last season Renault vowed to provide more power for 2004..

For me the FW26 'Hammed Head/Manta Ray'  is a good representation of the BMW car - engine first. Ferrari has a delicate steed - only fitting for the prancing horse - good in every dept but not excelling in any one. Some thought into form rather than 100% function is always evident in the red cars. McLarens probably have the best chassis & technical ability albeit not always the largest budget (I hear Toyota is writing the biggest cheques in their technical devleopment program right now).. & so looks quite clinical, aerodynamic and efficiently made.. Renaults are creative (v. much the Lotus of the hour).. and sometimes have quite unusual fairings & set ups... always willing to experiment.

I for one would like to see more contrasting shapes out on the grid but, alas, modern aerodynamics will rarely permit this.

MB

Edited by M BLUR
www.lbmracing.com

1998 Zeemax M Roadster
2005 X5 3.0D Sport
1991 Esprit SE Race car

encomium View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2004 at 13:22
M BLUR,
you're right about the FW26 representing the BMW "look". I wonder if Chris Bangle had any say in the design???
94 E36 M3 Coupe
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2004 at 19:30
Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2004 at 12:46

Well, what a disappointment. I know its only the first race of the season but I will be very supprised if Michael Schumacker and Ferrari don't win the championship this year. What happened to the challenge from Williams? If the race had been a bit longer they would have surely been lapped! And as for the Maclarens, I don't know why they even bothered turning up. I didn't buy all that rubbish about the tyres either. Surely if the Bridgestones had a big advantage over the Michelins then the Saubers would have done a lot better. The other teams had better sort themselves out or this season is going to be very boring.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
encomium View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2004 at 13:40
it was indeed quite a boring race, almost like 2002 revisited.

i a surprised how many carsfinished even with the one engine rule. not too bad for reliability so early in the season.

I agree with Peter about the tyre thing too....even if Michelins have an advantage in warmer weather, they would be hard pressed to make up to 2 sec difference on tyres alone.

Another surprising thing is why couldn't BAR or Williams run at the pace they did during qualifying? Surely this is a driver issue as they wee basically driving the same car they did during qualifying and should have been clocking similar times or even faster when getting lower on fuel.
94 E36 M3 Coupe
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2004 at 20:55
Originally posted by encomium encomium wrote:

it was indeed quite a boring race, almost like 2002 revisited..

Was that a reference to the Whole of the 2002 season being boring? I agree if it was.

I was another saddo that got up in the middle of the night - well you have to don't you, just in case it might be interesting?

And was it? No! What a waste of time, I've had more fun watching paint dry.

I couldn't be bothered with the qualifying, but apparently that was even more boring - if that's possible?
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
JC , e30 m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2004 at 04:48
the pits, you think you were bored? I had to sit in the Mclaren garage, watch one car spin off after 9 laps, then put new wheels on the other one so it could trundle round and finish a lap down. And with a helmet and balaclava on I couldn't even have a cup of tea during the race!!!
jamie

jamie@carlin.co.uk
www.carlin.co.uk

89 Europameister
78 911 SC
93 MK1 MX-5
98 Ford Focus
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2004 at 04:50
And another thing, I don't even get to go home and see my M3 or my girlfriend (not necessarily in that order?!?!) until we've done it all again in Malaysia....
jamie

jamie@carlin.co.uk
www.carlin.co.uk

89 Europameister
78 911 SC
93 MK1 MX-5
98 Ford Focus
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2004 at 04:55
And I'm not writing this in the middle of the night, I'm in Melbourne aren't I. And it's bloody raining on my only day off!!
hark at me, ranting away...
Hope you enjoy the next race lads, I know merc are bmw's arch rivals but it pays the bills so maybe some of you could cheer for Mclaren just a little bit?
Cheers and it's off to Malaysia tomorrow for four days by the pool before we go back to work, it's a tough job etc. etc...
jamie

jamie@carlin.co.uk
www.carlin.co.uk

89 Europameister
78 911 SC
93 MK1 MX-5
98 Ford Focus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2004 at 09:45

Jamie,

So what do you do? sounds like a pretty nice job to me. Perhaps you can tell us why the Mclarens so pants at the moment! We rely on Mclaren and Williams to give Ferrari a run for their money, but after Sundays performance it appears no one can challenge them. Incidently Ferrari have cancelled an extensive mid week testing session. Why? because there's no point, they know the other teams can't touch them.

Also just heard that Ralf is about to sign for renault for 2005 season.  

encomium View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2004 at 10:08
McLaren does have some serious issues to sort out. And it seems to me (and my untrained eye) that Kimi is letting his "superstar" status get to his head....I believe he is frustrated about the development and reliability of the car, but to air his displeasure and frustration so publicly cannot be good for team morale.

McLaren need an experienced and hungry driver to drive the development and setting up of cars for the races......Michael Schumacher did that for Ferrari through talent and a lot of hard work with the engineers with testing and development.
94 E36 M3 Coupe
encomium View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2004 at 10:10
so williams will have a totally new driver line-up next season? they need it.
94 E36 M3 Coupe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2004 at 12:02

To be honest I think the other teams are going to struggle against Ferrari as long as they have Michael Schumacker. Whether you love him or hate him, he is by far and away the best driver out there and I think that the success Ferrari have had over the last few years has been down to him.  

encomium View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2004 at 12:09
totally agree about the comment on how important Michael Schumacher has been to Ferrari.

However, Barichello has been getting very involved and it seems that MS has been using some RB settings for his car.

I think McLaren or Williams should try and lure Barichello away from Ferrari, even if he has signed until 2006. In my opinion, he is the 2nd best driver in the field.....not by much, but definitely there.
94 E36 M3 Coupe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic