Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dbanbery View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
David S Banbery [L/20973]

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autoglym or Zymol
    Posted: 17-April-2004 at 00:42

i use my dads autoglym collection (free, hey im a student aka pikey). tcut, resin wax, and the super resin stuff too... all cool. will check out the zymol stuff as they bummed it in the bmw club mag a couple of issues ago. i agree the white residue is annoying but i found you only get that if you leave it too long and "too long" is a short amount of time on a hot day.  and if i get it on the plastic i use the autoglym bumper care to sort that out which by the way brings up any colour plastic mint, and if you use it generously it lasts a while... although that would be more helpful on a vauxhall forum, since 80 vauxhalls had that plastic that started life grey, then 5 mins in sunlight went to that god awful primer grey colour we see nowadays.

thinking about the natural VS. petruleum distillates thing, i see what our silver birch tree does to moms car...... i would use natural stuff for natural thing and since paint is derived from petruleum distillates i would use them on it rather than the zymol stuff..... less work too im a lazy bugger (student habits)

Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2004 at 00:16

I used some "sureguard paint cream" that came with wifeys suzuki to obtain the results below.

I'll have to see how it lasts.

Best Wishes

Nigel

MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2004 at 18:53
oh, it's Harley Davidson S100 wax and apprently better than all the others! £14 for a little tin from HD dealers
MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
MIKE 318IS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2004 at 18:42

i use zymol cleaner wax at the moment very good product  not too expensive  you can get it at halfords for about £14

will try their wax when its a bit warmer

i use their appicator pad to put it  on and one of their towels to take it off

then go over with their microwipe very good 

spary a fine mist of water on it at the same time

MattB106 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2004 at 13:54

Proper cleaning is something i only started getting into last spring so i'm still new at it!

I've been using a combo of Meguiars 2 stage 'Deep Crystal' (cleaner, polish & wax) followed by another coat fo the 'Gold class' wax. After a coupel fo goes the paintwork was really good. I've nearly run out of the Gold class so i'm about to try Auto Glym super resin polish. Had a quick go on another car and it seemed to work quite nicely. I also intend to try some Zymol my friend has during the best months of the summer when i wont have to rush it.

I do know someone in one of the Pug clubs who now uses a combo of Auto Glym and an imported Harley Davidson wax. Apprently VERY good.

Off topic slightly but what you do guys use to apply your polish and wax? I've been using eguaira applicator pads which seem quite good (think Zymol do similar pads), but i worry they are scratching the surface. I did try some Autoglym perfect polishing cloth, but it absorbs too much of the product IMO. Any suggestions?

MattB

E36 328i Sport in silver

www.fotki.com/mattb106
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2004 at 13:40

Once I finish off the big pots of Autoglym I'll have to give the Zymol a try from the comments here.

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2004 at 12:25

I hate to say it, but i told you so.

If you want a cheaper polish and stuff that is equivacle in finish also have a look at Meguires

Zymol shoul last a long time as a little goes a long way.

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2004 at 11:29

Just tested out the Zymol.

WOW!

That stuff is seriously good, and smells lush too!

I had some stained around my exhaust which I could not shift but Zymol was mightier and removed them promtly. Great stuff. Just hope I don't have to use too much as it is expensive.

Pikey

Old enough to know better, too young to care!
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2004 at 00:08
The only effect it will have is on your pocket as after using it you will not go on using autoglym.
PikeyM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
E30 M3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2004 at 16:59

I normally use autoglym myself as we used to use their products at work, so naturally i saw the results and started using it myself.

But has anyone any thoughts on changing waxes. For example my friend has used Zymol recently and it seems good, so he has lent me some which i am going to use soon.

Do you think it will matter that I am changing waxes now and what effect do you think it will give?

Many thanks,

Pikey

Old enough to know better, too young to care!
miracle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2004 at 01:36
no,im just a authorised zymol detailer... but i dont work for them!
Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2004 at 12:56

I used to use Autoglym, but got frustrated by the chalky residue. The shine is fine on the day, but it does not last long. I then moved onto Meguires, which i felt gave a better shine and lasted considerable longer. Then about six months ago i was introduced to Race glaze which i felt was slightly better than the meguires for shine, but i don't think it lasts as long. Now i am back to meguires.

I was at the alexandra palace classic car show exibiting my car and the stand oposite was meguires. So we set up a test. We used the boot lid of a 29k m635 that was concours and well polished. We used the polishing company Wax, Zymol and the Meguires new Tech Wax. We had perfect polishing conditions and we got the same person to apply and take off the wax. We then asked people who walked past to show which wax they felt gave the richest shine.  The Meguires came out on top and i was very impressed.

Saying that, at the end of the day any wax you use will improve the paintwork and shine. Some are better than other, but there is not that much difference. I would recomend getting some samples of the different brands and use them. from this you can then make up your own mind which you prefere.

As for me i have a lot of differernt polishes and waxes that i need to use up before i go buying anything else.

Alex View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
SW Region Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2004 at 12:43
Hmm. Does "miracle" work for zymol or what?
Alex Shirley

1990 E30 325i
miracle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2004 at 22:52
ZYMOL'S 100%waterproof 100% protection 100% natural, and u get what u pay for... the worlds best wax!!!! Remembering that 1 pot of wax could last you 3 years plus!! Thats even if u do an extra layer every month of the year!!!! Also 2 layers is better than 1 everyone!!!! Doubles the shine and protection.
paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2004 at 00:34

I've tried Zymol, Autoglym and Meguiars.

Results, Zymol is excellent polish but its a pain in the ass to apply and takes alot of practice to get the perfect finish, but it does last well and smells lovely , also very easy to remove from rubbers.

Autoglym is good polish but if you get it on the black rubbers its a pain to remove, it lasts quite well and gives a nice finish more easily than Zymol, although having a black car it does tend to dry very powdery and show up any stone chips.

The Meguiars is great, the finish it leaves is like no other but it doesn't last very long atall, and its an abosolute pain to remove once you allow it to dry, ok to get off rubbers though.

What do i use now, none of them, black halfords own polish is great.  Easy to apply long lasting and easy to get off, plus its coloured so no unsightly white marks.  I apply it much more regularly though.

If i had to pick, i'd say Zymol.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
bmwear View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2004 at 20:43
Having been a long term Zymol user I would have agreed wholeheartedly until I got hold of some P21S
Its easy to apply, gives just as good a shine as Zymol, lasts longer and came top in a recent US independent review. It's also half the price with a full kit just £59.99 from the polishing company
"It's so good I bought the company" and I'm now a distributor for it in the UK. I've even got non concours track day gurus like CW of Vodtek using it, and he never used to polish a car! Now he gives demos!
TPCL will be at Rockingham to demonstrate but if you want some photos of real cars to prove the point then e-mail mike at tpcl@thepolishingcompany.com and he will send you some photos.
go to www.thepolishingcompany.com for more details
jamesrose View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2004 at 13:01

I use Zymol, and applying it is a lengthy process, but once it is on, it lasts for a long time, and also makes cleaning the car easier in the future becuase dirt tends to just wash off...

The wax is also handy for helping to keep alloys clean, the brake dust tends to wash off a bit easier too...

1990 E30 M3
www.m3bmw.co.uk
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2004 at 15:38

BUT-others will say, its Meguiars.Guess which Products BMW use at the Import Distribution Centre at Thorne.Nick is right, depends how much time you wish to spend, and if you want a Concours quality.

SAFETY  Polish  FAST

bigfub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2004 at 12:41

Have to join the Zymol camp on this one. After reading up on it in club mags, I finally shelled out and after a bit of elbow grease, my 6 is starting to gleam nicely.

'86 635CSi - Sold
'88 E34 535i
Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2004 at 20:31
They are like chalk and cheese.

Zymol is made from natural waxes that come from things like tree sap.

Autoglym, like many others is made from petroleum distillates.

they both make your car shiny.. they both have concours winnners.. and they both cause arguments as to which is best.

On the concours field you can spot the Autoglym cars a mile off.. in my mind they are little too glossy.. a bit cosmetic if you like.. you can give your car a quick fix with Autoglym and make it look good but it's a bit like a plain lass wearing make up.. you just see the make up.

Real wax like Zymol takes time and effort to apply, but it builds up and keeps getting better.. it becomes part of the paint and the lustre comes from within.

if you have the time and the passion.. go Zymol.. if you only have half an hour on a Sunday.. go Autoglym.

Nick
Croft'04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic